Tim Cain joins Obsidian

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Pizzahut Lover wrote:Speaking of a Prosper Fallout.
No one was talking about that.
I think it will be a while before Bethesda contacts me. I haven't yet been contacted.
If they ever contact, it'll be to say no thanks, and they probably won't even bother with that.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

VasikkA wrote:INTERESTING.
shut up biach :drunk: <3
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'm shocked by all the optimism in this thread. Because Cain and Obsidian WOULD release a high quality product, I could see Bethesda not allowing them to make the next Fallout because quality means it doesn't have universal appeal, and without universal appeal to the lowest common denominator, that could hurt their bottom line.
- the Vault Dweller
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Retlaw83 wrote:I'm shocked by all the optimism in this thread. Because Cain and Obsidian WOULD release a high quality product, I could see Bethesda not allowing them to make the next Fallout because quality means it doesn't have universal appeal, and without universal appeal to the lowest common denominator, that could hurt their bottom line.
This. For the laugh out louds.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

But does it have to be Fallout (tm)? Far as I'm concerned the series' been pretty much dead since '98. These latest both felt more like tribute bands than the real thing, to me. If I can't have the real thing, I'd much rather listen to something else.

Problem is finding something else that's great. At least now we have the best bass player around.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

King of Creation wrote:This is the most awesome news ever in the history of post-Fallout 2. I hope Tim take the lead on the next Fallout game and finally gets to create the sequel that he's always wanted to. It seems he's had the whole thing planned out already, from what it seems from our interviews with him.
I'm surprised how you can think so childish like this after being a fallout fan for years. I understand your excited but start thinking critically and not with your emotions.

I'm not even going to compose sentences I'm just going to start listing this shit :

1. The next fallout would likely be made by Bethesda and not contracted out, it's their franchise and I can't imagine how they don't want to do the next big release in the series.

2. If/when obsidian gets to do another Fallout game, it doesn't mean Tim Cain will automatically assume the role of director or whatever. You don't come into a studio and automatically get first dips on projects that many people have been wanting to do for years themselves (JE sawyer). If Obsidian does work on another Fallout game I wouldn't be surprised either way if he does ordinary work on the title or if he actually doesn't really do any work but just provide input while he works on a different project at obsidian.

3. Tim Cain isn't a magic blessing worker, it has been proved time and time again that it doesn't apply to games or movies. Your favorite game maker/ film maker who you think can do no wrong will often times produce shit consistently. MCA who was a major driving force in Planescape which is a fantastic game has had his hands in a lot of Obsidian games and a large amount of them have turned out shit, so even if a god like designer is involved doesn't mean the game won't be shit.

This whole thing is giving me the vibe of when Tim Cain and a few others from Troika tried applying to Bethesda when it was announced they got the Fallout license and Bethesda refused (as they should) because they wanted to do this their selves and go their own direction, they didn't get the license only to have the creator to come out of the wood works and ask to take charge of it.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Negative Nancy.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Well Tim Cain did work for Carbine and the Carbine games were the only MMO's I enjoyed (DnD online and LotR online) so why shouldn't I be excited?
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Pooper speaks the truth.

Obsidian doesn't exactly shit golden eggs, Cain isn't going to be given free reign to do whatever he wants (and hate to say probably shouldn't after Troika went tits up), Bethesda still holds the license. Yeah, "the band is getting back together" in a sense, but Feargus is still driving the bus at Obsidian.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Well, a Senior Programmer for the company doesn't exactly mean a mere staff filler ya know. :eyebrow:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

SenisterDenister wrote:Negative Nancy.
Every party has a pooper....

Either way, fallout fans don't give in so easy.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SenisterDenister

That may be, but these days any good news from the game industry is great news. I'm just so damn burnt out from it all I can't help but want to hope that the best could come from this.
mcdonis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by mcdonis »

Did I miss something???

I thought Vegas was a one time deal, did Obsidian get rights to do another Fallout game?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

It makes senses for Bethesda to let Obsidian keep making Fallouts. Bethesda can be making more Elder Scrolls games. Twice the profits.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

NV alienated a lot of huge Fallout 3 fans. Bethesda might keep cranking out their Fallouts because there's a lot more of them than people who appreciate good games.
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

How did New Vegas alienate Fallout 3 fans? Wasn't it just a huge improvement over the latter?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Anencephalics Anonymous welcomes YOU.

Post by Blargh »

REALLY ? wrote:alienate
Ahahaha, THEY saw it as a 'betrayal of the franchise and all that made it good/unique/noteworthy and so onl'. I would be delighted to be joking.

These are the people who literally do not care to consider that :

The 3 is a strong indication of predecessors.
Said forebears may have, in fact, been radically different in characterisation, tone, themes, nuance, design, et fucking al.

These are the people who actually enjoy, indeed prefer, the fetid offerings of Bethesda's writers/world builders to the those of Obsidian.

An aggravating mercy that they are unaware of their benighted state, no ? :drunk:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Anencephalics Anonymous welcomes YOU.

Post by jetbaby »

Blargh wrote:
REALLY ? wrote:alienate
Ahahaha, THEY saw it as a 'betrayal of the franchise and all that made it good/unique/noteworthy and so onl'. I would be delighted to be joking.

These are the people who literally do not care to consider that :

The 3 is a strong indication of predecessors.
Said forebears may have, in fact, been radically different in characterisation, tone, themes, nuance, design, et fucking al.

These are the people who actually enjoy, indeed prefer, the fetid offerings of Bethesda's writers/world builders to the those of Obsidian.

An aggravating mercy that they are unaware of their benighted state, no ? :drunk:
This, a thousand times because gaming is gasping, wheezing, dying slowly at our feet and I don't think a trauma surgeon can save it at this point.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

It saves me effort when Blargh's opinion so mirrors my own. :salute:
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

I had no idea Fallout 3 fans disliked New Vegas so much. How? I can't wrap my head around it.
Our Host!