Rage: First Impression

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Rage: First Impression

Post by SenisterDenister »

<strong>[ Game -> Review ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/id Software">Company: id Software</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Rage">Game: Rage</a>

<p>I have to hand it to Bethesda's QA and bugtesting staff, because like every one of their previous products it's completely unplayable. After the splash screen and opening logos the game freezes and crashes. Drivers be damned it's refusing to be the quality product it was hyped up to be.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry Carmack, I guess this game wasn't Pete proof after all.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Will this spell the end of id Software? Probably not. Will it put a damper on ever buying another id product again so long as they're a subsidiary of Zenimax Media? You betcha.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="text-decoration: line-through;"><em>Edit by KoC</em>: John Carmack <a href="http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsart ... 23760">has now said </a>that developing RAGE for consoles was a huge mistake and that future priority will be put on PCs.</span></p>
<p><em><strong>Edit 2 by KoC</strong></em>: The last edit was apparently a very old article being re-circulated now that RAGE was out. A <a href="http://kotaku.com/5847761/why-was-the-p ... uster">new interview with Carmack</a>, however, shows the opposite:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em><strong>"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added.</strong> "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."</em></p>
</blockquote>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Every id game since Quake has sucked. They make tech demos for their engines and sell them for $50, not games.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Retlaw83 wrote:They make tech demos for their engines and sell them for $50, not games.
Hold on now, is that id or bethesda??? Oh, of course, silly me. One makes tech demos for their engines instead of games while the other just makes shit engines.

The CEO at Zenimax must be one crazy fucker. :drunk:

Edit - Heh, number of the beast. Time for some 'Maiden.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Your Nex' Console ...

Post by 4too »

Your Nex' Console ...

Youtube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofg7m2r ... re=related

2010 Carmack demo's Rage on iPhone.

Multiple iPhone app reviews for Id's rail shooter iPhone version of Rage also at this link.

Your NEX' console may be an i-Apple tech-no toy! ;)

4too
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

So it sucks. Not really surprised. I wouldn't touch anything made by Carmack nowadays with Dready's cock.

Dark Souls is coming I think I'll jam on that for a while. :chew:
SenisterDenister

So I've finally been able to boot it up and it runs at 20 fps tops, but the average is around 5. It has no graphic options besides AA and no being able to customize the control layout as well.

Can't help but feel like the PC base was shat on pretty heavily.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Heard from other sources as well that it's just a horrible console port. Will avoid this, and most likely, their future products like the plague.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:horrible console port
One of these words is redundant.

FPS aren't really my cup of tea, but at least iD's not pushing it as having "RPG elements" or some kind of next-gen hybrid gameplay random industry buzzwords, immersive whatever savior of the scene blah blah.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Well, with all this rage [sic], It seems I've actually mixed up my game developers.
You're making bethesda look good, id, what the fuck?
Last edited by Tofu Man on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Remember, though, that Bethesda is the publisher and parents company of id software. As publisher, Bethesda is responsible for all QA and the responsibility for putting out a broken product falls squarely on them.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Yeah Koc, if that's true (frankly, 'til Denister pointed it out, I didn't even know id was now a Zenimax subsidiary), then I really can't disagree. But man, at least on this megatexture problem, I mean, Carmack knows this shit. He knows home pcs don't just stream textures like consoles do, and that with current drivers shit like this was gonna happen. He can't really give the go ahead on a game he knows is going to suffer from 2/3/whothehellknows months of choppy play until Ati and Nvidia are forced to issue drivers than can solve the problem (if it can be solved at driver level at all). I mean, does he really think customers are gonna blame their gfx cards when every other game but his runs great? My bet is they'll blame id.

But you're right, how this shit manages to get past QA is beyond me. Maybe only console games get beta tested now and they have the paying customer to do it for them on the pc.

EDIT- By the by, this just in. New (apparently working) Ati driver fix. http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... river.aspx

Help you any, Dino?
SenisterDenister

Not really, no.
Pizzahut Lover
Cakester Alt; I'm going places in life

Post by Pizzahut Lover »

i might buy it next week or at the end of the month. then i will mod it. and make the coolest 3D additoins. mostly characters though. environments look to require way much RAM
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

King of Creation wrote:Remember, though, that Bethesda is the publisher and parents company of id software. As publisher, Bethesda is responsible for all QA and the responsibility for putting out a broken product falls squarely on them.
I think Zenimax acquired iD not too long ago, so Rage was probably halfway through production already.

Still, Bethesda has had a shitty track record with it's published games, which yeah, they are ultimately responsible for.
Pizzahut Lover

Post by Pizzahut Lover »

Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

The joke is getting old Prosper.
Pizzahut Lover

Post by Pizzahut Lover »

major update for tonight. i think i will leave it as is till tomororw. lots of progress. good work i did yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K68gCL1kUs
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Yeah, don't do me no favors.

Why don't you take a break for tonight and just wank. You'll have more to show for it.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:Yeah, don't do me no favors.

Why don't you take a break for tonight and just wank. You'll have more to show for it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'm kind of pissed off how they were giving off the vibe that this game would be pretty awesome on the PC, while not following the game too closely I under the impression it was a PC first game but it looks like I was sorely mistaken.

Perhaps it was the idea that they were going to ship the game on 3 dvds for the xbox, usually that happens only when they port the game from ps3 or PC (pc being theoretical hur). I would have never thought they actually developed it solely for consoles when they said that, especially for a shooter.

In regards to that article KoC added to the news post, it was posted a couple months ago and its misleading. It doesn't imply that the consoles were the main platform for development, just that they had equal importance to that of the PC. Even though lots of companies say the PC has equal importance, I thought ID meant it.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Our Host!