So I was wrong about Duke Nukem Forever

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Hahaha

Victoria
Come for the constantly life-threatening wildlife/locals, stay for the beer. :drunk:
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Duke Nukem Forever was...good?
Yes. Yes it was.

And don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise!
Go have a try.

I had written a nice review a few days ago but something stupid happend and I couldn't post it.

The only thing I regret is pirating the game and not pre-ordering it, not having a stronger computer so that I can run it on the Ultra Graphics all the time and the really, really shitty animation of allied characters. Especially the really crappy strippers. Hell the whole stripper bar level was shit.

You go and fetch this bitches dildo. And I couldn't even slap her.
What...?

Anyway, the rest of the game was brilliant. The puzzles are fun and sometimes a bit challenging.
The enemies do not have a bad AI on the level that I played. Not for being a Doom-style shooter. On the contrary.

It's sometimes hard to find where you're supposed to go despite the linear mapdesign but that's also acceptale.

7/10!

PS: Aiming / mouse control is great once you have tinkered with the settings to. Try 5/2.

Had they really polished the game it could've been a 9/10. It's all the small letdowns here and there in an otherwise brilliant game (especially considering all the various takes on the game, the humor and general setting).
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Duke Nukem Forever was a boring, repetitive, soulless mess.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

We've been through this but as a linguistics expert in some sense you sould know the meaning of repetitive.

It was anything but repetitive.
Going from parts that are like any ordinary shooter to stundriving to something tat can only be descried as arcade jumping/adventuring to the classic bosses with oldschool patterns.

Boring is subjective and soulless is just a filler.

A mess though, yeah I can give you that.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

why am i not surprised

Post by Blargh »

username enjoys duke nukem never itt

:drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Username wrote:ordinary shooter to stundriving to something tat
Noun

tat (plural tats)

1. cheap and vulgar tastelessness; sleaze
2. cheap, tasteless, useless goods; trinkets
3. anything which looks cheap, is of low quality or in bad condition
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Username wrote:We've been through this but as a linguistics expert in some sense you sould know the meaning of repetitive.

It was anything but repetitive.
Going from parts that are like any ordinary shooter to stundriving to something tat can only be descried as arcade jumping/adventuring to the classic bosses with oldschool patterns.

Boring is subjective and soulless is just a filler.

A mess though, yeah I can give you that.
DNF IS boring and repetitive.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Sorry! :(
My H button sometimes gets stuck..well all of the buttons are quite non-responsive. It's a 7 year old keyboard. To much sticky fingers to :lalala:

How is it repetitive?

I don't think you should bash it in a way like this.
ALL they were doing in 3D realms was sitting on their arses and comming up with new ideas, implementing them and then changing them again.

Like Retlaw says it's a huge mess. But you two are dead wrong that it's repetitive.
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

why do reviewers even bother with the first 50 percent they should just keep the last 60, 70, 80, 100 percent and leave the rest :)
:chew:
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Username wrote: ALL they were doing in 3D realms was sitting on their arses and comming up with new ideas, implementing them and then changing them again.
That's not true at all. It's widely reported from former 3D Realms people that George Broussard would play a game and see something he liked then demand his team put it in DNF. At one time there was a whole snow episode because "The Thing" game had just come out and he was addicted to it.

And explain to me how walking from one set piece, battle a wave of monsters, then walking to the next set piece to battle the next wave isn't repetitive? Because that's the entire game. To break up the monotony they added some terrible puzzles and the most boring driving sequence I have ever seen in a game.
Last edited by Mad Max RW on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

fixd:
Critics are shit.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spore

Also the fact that Gamespot rates it low considering they had fucking problems solving some of the puzzles and their readers cant find their way out can be compared to the more respectable firms like PcGamer or IGN rating it higher.

Still waiting for any fucking reason to why it was repetitive.
I'm not saying it's a great game. I'm saying it's a brilliant game(idea) that's a slight mess with quite a few flaws. 7/10 is fair if you've actually bothered tinkering with the settings and if you enjoy the setting.

I understand you've played it but I know for a fact that the opinions vary greatly between those who haven't and those who have played the full game and they vary from general criticism to moderate praise respectively.

Fuck you. I'll go enjoy my pirated copy of Duke Nukem, wishing I had bought the cheap pre order but refusing to pay full price for an unfinished work of art.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Go back and re-read my last post. This motherfucking website is suddenly loading slow as fuck.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Mad Max RW wrote:
Username wrote: ALL they were doing in 3D realms was sitting on their arses and comming up with new ideas, implementing them and then changing them again.
That's not true at all. It's widely reported from former 3D Realms people that George Broussard would play a game and see something he liked then demand his team put it in DNF. At one time there was a whole snow episode because "The Thing" game had just come out and he was addicted to it.

And explain to me how walking from one set piece, battle a wave of monsters, then walking to the next set piece to battle the next wave isn't repetitive? Because that's the entire game. To break up the monotony they added some terrible puzzles and the most boring driving sequence I have ever seen in a game.

What waves of monsters? I don't remember waves of monsters. I remember various settings, various places, various monsters, various covers, various vehicles, various SIZES, various objectives.

You need to get that while I can appreciate a good tactical shooter I'm also the sort of person who GREATLY enjoyed games like Doom and Serious Sam. Try Serious Sam 2. Now that's WAVE and WAVE after monsters lacking any and all forms of AI. And it was still a blast to play this arcade shooter. Duke Nukem is far from Serious Sam but it ain't fucking Rainbow Six and it's not supposed to be that neither.

edit: I'm not re-reading your post I'm reading it. You replied the same second as I ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFAlADtVmMQ

Video of people enjoying waves of dumb ass AI.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Username, I've tried Duke Nukem. All the one-lines are tired and forced, the puzzles are inane, the weaponry isn't satisfying, and the driving sequence, as Mad Max pointed out, is the worst in gaming history. That's including The Streets of Sim City.

It's a shit game, but hey, you like it. You don't have to justify yourself for liking it - I'll freely admit to liking several shitty things, like Heavy Metal 2000. But you can't get pissed off at us for calling a spade and spade. You're also not going to be able to make us see whatever it is you see in DNF.
- the Vault Dweller
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

I get that you didn't get like it. I thhink I want to like it to badly that I am. Just don't think it's all to repetitive. Cause like Max said he forced them to play every good game and watch movies and they changed it tons of times so if anything its a huge fucking mess of uncompleted ideas.

The driving is a bit stiff but i really liked the radio car stage. The oneliners are so extremely forced its funny...But I knew it was gonna be shitty-good like that even before they realeased it

What the fuck do you actually do in The Streets of Sim City and that choper version? Always wondered if its worth even trying just as a curiosity.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Not really familiar with SimChopper other than watching a friend put out fires using a water bucket, but in streets you just drove around. There was a crappy racing option. The only draw for both games was it let you get down at an individual level on maps made in SimCity 2000.
- the Vault Dweller
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Tofu Man wrote: And you're one to talk Mr. Nights. Coors light anyone?
Everybody knows mainstream American beer is piss. But even the most backwater places have good local/micro/kraftbreweries.
And it's not like we don't buy imported beer...
I'm from New England, a Guiness probably takes a shorter trip to me than a Coors. You can trip over all the micro-breweries up here.

Coors light is so transparent in what they do and who their market is.
Their greatest contribution to beer brewing is a can that turns blue when it gets cold, they won't do fuck all to make the beer any more palatable.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

As far as I'm concerned, whoever's daft enough to drink light beer deserves the magic can (and the shit inside it).

Anything american one could find in import that's worth noting?
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

It looks like shit and plays like shit. Sold it to my friend yesterday.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Our Host!