So I was wrong about Duke Nukem Forever

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Username wrote:
Stalagmite wrote:Well the gampeplay vids looked great beforehand until I actually played it. Even the bitches in the game were ugly but that's not why I was hyped for this shit it just seemed amazing but another example of hype being blatant lying these days.

You're crushing my dreams here and busting my balls.
Don't worry too much, I played it again with a more lighthearted mind(heart?)set and I didn't want the shit to end but it did. If you can stand below grade A graphics (I'm sure most people here can) mediocre gameplay, and have a soft spot for that Duke persona I think you'll dig it well.

I'll also add, expect some modern FPS additions there as well. If you can't hack anything modern you may as well forget it. For this game is far more linear and cinematic that it's predecessor.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Username wrote: Just sent an email to their business department proposing a purchase of their game if they fix the health regen :lalala:
They're selling the game based on marketing hype, and the morbid curiosity real gamers will have to see how atrocious this turns out. The core demographic for this thing wasn't even sentient in 1997, much like with Fallout 3.

Being that the cornerstones of this product are hype and hoping people will pay to see it crash and burn instead of pirating the crash and burn, what makes you think a letter from some random guy with a promise to purchase a single copy when they're guaranteed to sell millions regardless of quality is going to do anything?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

cos life ain't nothin' but bitches and money
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

All my vaporware dreams are coming true.

First it was STALKER, then it was Team Fortress 2, then it was Prey, now its Duke Nukem Forever, and next it'll be Half Life 2: Episode Three.

Here's to hoping. :drunk:
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Wanna buy my copy of Daikatana?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
SenisterDenister

Ha. Good one.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Username wrote: Just sent an email to their business department proposing a purchase of their game if they fix the health regen :lalala:
They're selling the game based on marketing hype, and the morbid curiosity real gamers will have to see how atrocious this turns out. The core demographic for this thing wasn't even sentient in 1997, much like with Fallout 3.

Being that the cornerstones of this product are hype and hoping people will pay to see it crash and burn instead of pirating the crash and burn, what makes you think a letter from some random guy with a promise to purchase a single copy when they're guaranteed to sell millions regardless of quality is going to do anything?
It's a win win for me. Either they do them or I get to troll their businessdepartment a bit.

Of course I thought it would maybe make them raise an eyebrow, chuckle a bit and perhaps even mention at the next coffee break. I was just disappointed to see the health regen (and on top of that such a bad one) that I just sent an email which is what we swedes do when we feel angry and disappointed. Either that or we publish an inquiry/letter in the local newspaper.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Gimp Mask wrote:
Tofu Man wrote:This. Although one could hope for the "it's so bad, it's good" type affair.
I don't think that ever really worked for computer games
Rare but (sh)it happens. You got Custer's Revenge, E.T., QWOP, heck, Daikatana even.

The way this is looking, however- 5€ says in 5 years everyone'll still remember the DNF development soap yet no one'll remember the actual DNF.
SenisterDenister wrote:STALKER
I thank the lawrd awlmighta I only heard of SoC after it had come out. A glass for ze gefallen komrades who followed development :drunk:

It's their own fucking fault, tho.
SenisterDenister

I tracked STALKER actively since around 2004 and while not completely happy with the 2007 release I was still incredibly satisfied with it.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Does anyone remember when the DAC STALKER website was made? It was pretty early on I think?
EDIT: it was 2004 the year of the beast, Senister probably received most of his information about the game from dack and was hugely disappointed when it was released
Tofu Man wrote:Rare but (sh)it happens. You got Custer's Revenge, E.T., QWOP, heck, Daikatana even.
sure, but now you're talking about curious novelties on the interweb's worst-games-ever lists; games no-one really ever played anyway. Maybe it's more like "it's so bad, it's worth a mention and easy to make fun of" B) but what is QWOP? A racist Qbert?
SenisterDenister

I actually used Filefront, as I was big into the original Dawn of War modding community, it had a section of the website devoted to STALKER and I kept tabs on it. I may have seen the DAC STALKER page but if I did I don't remember finding the forums specifically.

At the point it was released I was just so happy to play it I didn't care if it wasn't what it was originally promised to be. Mods for the game have done a fair job of recreating it, and I enjoy it any way around it.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

DNF is the worst kind of shit imaginable. It's like they made it with the goal of pissing off people who like to have fun. Old school fans are totally alienated and the new console kiddies will dismiss it as bargain bin garbage.

-Health regen
-2 weapon limit
-slow clunky movement and jumping sucks
-quicktime events taking control from the player
-terrible graphics and post processing effects
-weak ass weapon melee attack instead of the mighty boot
-way too much emphasis on the secondary stuff (throwing turds, playing pool, drawing on a white board, tits, one liners) and a total lack of gameplay
-a separate sprint key where you get winded after 5-10 seconds
-it runs like shit even on consoles, the desert area is the most unoptimized design ever
-weak ass pea shooter guns
-the shrinkray is pointless when the bad guys still fire weapons and cause as much damage, and crushing them is impossible. you still have to waste bullets from your other guns to kill them. What the fuck?!

What Duke Nukem 3D did was well balanced and fun. It had that secondary stuff like strippers and pool tables, but it wasn't the main focus of the game. You can totally ignore those things and have a blast running around killing stuff and blowing things up. It was fun then and still is now. DNF fucked up a great formula. It has no redeemable value whatsoever. Not only does it look terrible, but you can get better versions of the same gameplay in any modern console game.

Ten years from now nobody will be playing DNF. But you can bet your ass people will still be playing Duke3D.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

NoooO! Real reasons to hate it, sadness!
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Gimp Mask wrote:Maybe it's more like "it's so bad, it's worth a mention and easy to make fun of" B)
Yeah, fair enough. Although I have to say, bad as they are, they still do a fair job at being entertaining, even if it's more laughing at them than with them.
Gimp Mask wrote:but what is QWOP? A racist Qbert?
http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
Now try not smiling at how imcompetent you are at it.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Mad Max RW wrote: -the shrinkray is pointless when the bad guys still fire weapons and cause as much damage, and crushing them is impossible. you still have to waste bullets from your other guns to kill them. What the fuck?!
Callin' bullshit here I def crushed some shrunk things in the demo.
Mad Max RW wrote:-weak ass pea shooter guns
More bullshit I beat the demo using mainly pistol fire on hard something impossible to do in Duke 3D bub.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The only thing that's bullshit is you and the terrible demo you love. Hate to break it to you, kiddo, but you're in the minority because 99.9% of the universe agrees everything about it is shit. Stomping guys out is damn near impossible. The weapons suck ass. You beat it with just the pistol on hard? Just goes to show how terrible the bad guys are then. It takes no skill at all to play the game because every second of it is bullshit. You *can* beat Duke 3D with the pistol if you don't have the hand eye coordination of an autistic Prosper or console gamer.

DNF is Invisible War, Hellgate, and AvP3 rolled into one steaming pile of SHIT. It's one more game people will look back on and laugh at for how goddamn awful it is. All of the flip flopping apologists can preemptively suck a fart out of my ass.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Don't love it man just don't hate it as much as I did when I first spun it. And yes you can stomp on shrunk enemies try it again if you don't believe in miracles. Try lookin' down at 'em before you run over them expecting auto stomp you gotta look first. I'm sure the game wont deliver too much at the end of the day but I'm gonna buy it anyway and get back the truth.

Good thing I just bought the new Red Faction cos this game is kick ass and if it blows Duke Nukem out of the water (which it may) I'll just tell the peeps here not to bother with it.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

How is it compared to the first Red Faction because it's the only one I played and moderately enjoyed.
SenisterDenister

Oh man I was so mad when I realized I wasted fiddy bucks on Hellgate: London. Invisible War was pretty bad, and I've yet to make myself play AVP3 yet because of how vocal people are against it.

If its truly as bad as the other games, though, may God help us.

Red Faction 2 was my favorite of the series.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

If I wasn't a fan, I would vastly regret buying AVP3's special edition, but now I only somewhat regret it. Writing was shit in RF: Guerilla, but gameplay wasn't terrible.

Looking forward to Dead Island and XCOM (for the mood and gameplay, trying to disassociate it with strategy).

Arkham City won't take much longer to come out either
Our Host!