Game of Thrones

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Gunman
s3x g0d
s3x g0d

Game of Thrones

Post by Gunman »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJYNVhG ... ure=relmfu

I might give it a go. It'll probably be really lame, but that's just because I hate TV drama shit.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I've heard its pretty good, but then again the guy who told me it was is a big D&D player and loves Lord of the Rings.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

I'm with Dready, the books were just soap opera shit and requires a certain mindset, but at least they were amusing at times.

The show looks like it's not even amusing at any parts.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

The show has good beheadings lots of tits but besides that it wasn't as entertaining as i thought it would be.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

My brother likes it so it's probably shit
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

I thought it was kind of meh, unfortunately.

The production is top notch - good casting, costumes, sets, scenery - it's well made and looks great.

I think I'm burned out on the premium cable TV series thing - Sopranos, Deadwood, Oz, etc. It's great to have titties and gore and f-bombs that we can't get on regular TV, but strip that shit away and the unique settings (NJ mafia, max sec lockup, dirty western) and all that's left is fucking General Hospital with OMFG plot swerves and twists, and "can you beleive he's sleeping with her" shock.

I thought this was going to be Conan-esque, gritty low fantasy. It was more like some Aron Spelling shit with chainmail.
I know a nodded off a few times, but where was the action?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Cimmerian Nights wrote: I thought this was going to be Conan-esque, gritty low fantasy. It was more like some Aron Spelling shit with chainmail.
Have you read the books? That's what a lot of the character interactions boil down to.

George R.R. Martin is a career screenwriter, after all.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

No, heard of them, but never read them.

I was expecting more Conan mayhem and badassery and action. Less "OMFG can't believe he's sleeping with her" kind of soap opera swerves.

But again, that's my issue with all these HBO/Showtime series
You take the goombas and the strip club out of the Sopranos and it's basically Melrose Place.

I can see it getting better, obviously it's pretty epic and sweeping and takes a while to set up.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Cimmerian Nights wrote: I was expecting more Conan mayhem and badassery and action. Less "OMFG can't believe he's sleeping with her" kind of soap opera swerves.
The soap opera swerves usually end up in a shockingly dark secret and/or end up killing off a character you considered important. At least they did in the books, haven't seen the show.
I can see it getting better, obviously it's pretty epic and sweeping and takes a while to set up.
There's some scenes I can't wait to see, but my gut tells me they can't do with a TV show budget, like the battle for King's Landing.
- the Vault Dweller
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Retlaw83 wrote: There's some scenes I can't wait to see, but my gut tells me they can't do with a TV show budget, like the battle for King's Landing.
Honestly, the costume, sets, effects and whatnot were movie quality and well done. But the first episode is kind of low key, so nothing too strenuous going on.

It looked great though.

As opposed to, say that dreadful Dune miniseries, which was so poorly funded, it just reeked of being bush league in those areas, and really took away from something that might have had promise.

Anyone watching Spartacus series? 2nd season is really letting me down.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The beginning of the first book is very low key. It works because it emotionally invests you before shit gets ridiculous.
- the Vault Dweller
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Retlaw83 wrote:The beginning of the first book is very low key. It works because it emotionally invests you before shit gets ridiculous.
It didn't really work for me though. :/

By the second book I was already giving less and less shit about house stark and more interested in the numorous other "players". Jon Snow and the Wall were also weak chapters. :/

I mean, the series kept me going to read through it (though it is still unfinished), but it's just not something I could consider a "fantasy masterpiece", soley because it relies on soap opera drama at it's core.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:I think I'm burned out on the premium cable TV series thing - Sopranos, Deadwood, Oz, etc. It's great to have titties and gore and f-bombs that we can't get on regular TV, but strip that shit away and the unique settings (NJ mafia, max sec lockup, dirty western) and all that's left is fucking General Hospital with OMFG plot swerves and twists, and "can you beleive he's sleeping with her" shock.
i hear you mang, seems to be a matter of picking the theme you like as the content is pretty much the same.

is there a series you'd recommend then? besides treme
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

the sopranos has a lot of layers probably if you can be bothered with thaT.

im watchin Archer and Fringe at the moment theyre both p. good. rubicon seemed interesting but it moved slow as shit then got cancelled before i could be bothered finishing it so now i never wont not ever unfinish it.

edge of darkness tv miniseries was dope, the original series of survivors was dope, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingdo ... iseries%29, the killing is meant to be good, tinker tailor soldier spy is dope and i still like its always sunny in philadelphia even if some chucklebrother on here thinks its shit jeez

also, the wire lol
:chew:
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

:paper:
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I've watched the second episode and most of my friends have a huge hardon over it, but it's moving too fast for me. The number of characters and the need to jam the first entire book into 10 episodes means none of the characters I like the best get a lot of screen time, and I don't think I'd have an emotional connection to any of them if not for reading the books. I feel more like I'm watching the highlight reel of a Game of Thrones adaptation instead of a full length adaptation.
- the Vault Dweller
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Ned dies.
Ned's son Robb dies in a betrayal at a wedding. Along with his mother and all his soldiers.
Tyrion kills his father.
Jaime loses his hand and becomes a good guy.
Littlefinger is a paedophile with his eyes on Sansa Stark.
Arya goes around killing people just because she's obsessed with killing people.
Jon Snow becomes Lord Commander at the wall.
Cersei goes more and more insane.

That's about it, I hope this story moves you emotionally like it did me.
Our Host!