NEW FALLOUT FROM JAPAN

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

For those not down with how a nuklear reactor works let me break it down for you so you can write some slash fix on it ok

essentially a nuclear reactor is like a candle on your desk thats lit alright. but imagine if that candle got super hot thats like a reactor goin critical. you going to put more wax on it, drawn to the flame or is that shit going to melt through your desks crust and creation a 'fission' or fusion reactor as we know them of as in the community of physics and maths.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

*sigh* like a mothman to a nuclear reactor, why do i always fall for the str8 guise.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I was entirely unaware until yesterday that Nuclear power plants are basically just complicated and considerably dangerous steam engines. Not trains, but the uranium is used solely to heat water for steam that heats other water for steam that spins a turbine. Why the fuck haven't more resources gone toward electromagnetic perpetual motion generators?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Manoil wrote:dangerous
Properly maintained, a nuclear power plant isn't dangerous at all. Everyone freaking out that nuclear power is dangerous after this earthquake is over-reacting.

It's like complaining that an airplane is unsafe because a storm could knock it out of the sky.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

an airplane wouldnt cause a TOTAL NUCLEAR DEVASTATION though unless it was a nuclear airplane of course ;)
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

After Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, this may be one of the last nails in the coffin on further expansion into nuclear power in the United States, I think.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

And it would be retarded if it was.
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Manoil wrote:dangerous
Properly maintained, a nuclear power plant isn't dangerous at all. Everyone freaking out that nuclear power is dangerous after this earthquake is over-reacting.

It's like complaining that an airplane is unsafe because a storm could knock it out of the sky.
Maintenance aside, spent fuel rods are always a potential threat, considering many foreign countries are perfectly fine with selling off their spent rods to interested customers rather than go through the timely and difficult process of proper disposal and dismantling. They'll keep the Zirconium for new rods, but they'll sell off depleted uranium that could easily be made into some kind of bomb.

I remember posting an article on a nuclear power fuel source that emitted virtually no radiation when superheated with a pulsating laser, and I'm all for a non-uranium or plutonium source of fission, but until then, tech that provides the opportunity to arm potential threats for a small sum and the opportunity to halfass important safety measures is anything but safe.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Manoil wrote:Maintenance aside, spent fuel rods are always a potential threat
Fuel rods should get buried under a mountain and DU weapons should be illegal. But that's not the argument - you said nuclear power is dangerous, which I take to mean the generation of nuclear power.
- the Vault Dweller
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

fire fuel rods into space duh dont make mountain sick

its a shame it happened as nuclear power is boss and better than killing thousands of cubans every year in the petrol mines but sometimes they get rescued so thats ok. otherwise yah its a bit of a sham e that because there may be a ATOMIC BOMB DISASTER that people are ignoring all the other shit in japan but dead is dead and im alive so lets go ride a bike which ur bro.
:chew:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Manoil wrote:I was entirely unaware until yesterday that Nuclear power plants are basically just complicated and considerably dangerous steam engines. Not trains, but the uranium is used solely to heat water for steam that heats other water for steam that spins a turbine. Why the fuck haven't more resources gone toward electromagnetic perpetual motion generators?
I was kind of surprised by that too and made me think that if nuclear plants are doing that then pretty much every other electricity source is probably doing the same. We are using steam power that has been around for more than hundred years? Nothing particularly wrong with that but it's kind of shocking that some smart people haven't rethought that concept.

You know if we were to send nuclear waste into space it would be on the one space rocket that would malfunction and irradiate our atmosphere.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Manoil wrote:Why the fuck haven't more resources gone toward electromagnetic perpetual motion generators?
My question exactly.

1 - get a piece of metal, a cylindrical magnet and a coil
2 - spend minimal energy getting the piece of metal to start rotation
3 - reap the rewards til the magnetism runs out
4 - re-magnetize teh parts
5 - get proper pissed :drunk:
6 - rinse and repeet y'all
7 - celibrate mofos!!!!!!1111!!1one2!!!11!!

How 'ard can it be?
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Manoil wrote:I was entirely unaware until yesterday that Nuclear power plants are basically just complicated and considerably dangerous steam engines. Not trains, but the uranium is used solely to heat water for steam that heats other water for steam that spins a turbine. Why the fuck haven't more resources gone toward electromagnetic perpetual motion generators?

What did you think that nuclear energy was? Magic radiation reflects on magic stuff to produce magic energy?
Almost every bloody thing we have in terms of producing energy is a variation of the generator.

Solar Energy is the only new technology in terms of usable energy-production we have invented in like 200 years. (Not counting various new forms of electrolysis which aren't viable in the bigger picture)

The reason why stuff like fusion energy (which is in our limited minds is still based on fucking generator technology) and magnetic energy is very obvious and I'm sure you know it.

More stuff like this would render capitalism a historic anecdote.
For fusion energy there would be demands to make it free and community owned and magnetic could be used by people themselves.
I actually read an article about the perpetual electromagnetic machine in some aussie or kiwi newspaper. It was removed some weeks later.

There's some serious research being done in Sweden today on producing bio-fules with some plant that constantly drips it or something. I'm really waiting for this. Put some of these in your garden and completely assrape the oil industry while pushing the economic disparity down a few percent is never wrong.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

I think child slaves should be used as our number 1 source of energy.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I agree. Child labor is a cheap and renewable resource.
- the Vault Dweller
TheNewEdition
Cakester Alt; I'm going places in life

Post by TheNewEdition »

enslave the irish
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Retlaw83 wrote:I agree. Child labor is a cheap and renewable resource.
And you try to sound and act like some sort of smartass here.
We haven't developed any *energY* efficient way producing children and then using them as some biofule.

Don't you think it takes *energy* to produce the food they will need to eat?

Watched to much Matrix eh Retlaw? Damn you're dumb.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

One child slave can produce enough food to easily feed 10-15 child slaves. What's the problem?
TheNewEdition
Cakester Alt; I'm going places in life

Post by TheNewEdition »

children - natures RTS villagers
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Username wrote:We haven't developed any *energY* efficient way producing children and then using them as some biofule.
The Africans seem to crank out children efficiently despite having nothing. Let's use all the African children that are sitting around and starving.

Also, I'm advocating using them for labor, not burning them as fuel. Good God you're a retard.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!