[comics] Red Son

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

The life, the Universe and the Everything ? Quicklime.

Post by Blargh »

If only dodging divorce et al were as simple and inexpensive as convincing them to TRAVEL INTO SPACE. :drunk:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I did read the single-issue Batman Noir today, however, and not only did it suck, it copied Spider-Man Noir and didn't have as much flavor. Win for Marvel.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

in case i havent said a million times before my favourite comic is The Filth

:chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

can you find it on the web somewhere for free you know,i'm referring to piracy here brother
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

is it you
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Read it yesterday. Brilliant piece. :salute:
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

St. Toxic wrote:Read it yesterday. Brilliant piece. :salute:
The Filth, that is. Red Son is crap.

Too many theatrics and implausible story. I think they were gunning for Superman: Third Reich edition, but got shitcanned due to all the Hitlers and the swastikas and the holocaust asf. and had to settle for Soviet, but didn't know how to expand the story. The way to go would probably have been increased hostility from the US and little to no response from Soviet = superman dealing with American hero/villains on Soviet territory commie style.

A missed opportunity was not to include Lenin as the chairman instead of Stalin, who instead would replace that no-face envious bastard child nobody who for some inexplicable reason plays so central a role in the story. And what the fuck happened with that village-girl love interest character? If you're not going to do shit with her, why waste precious space throwing her around? Or Superman's commie parents?

And the ship crashed in some unspecific location in Ukraine? You dicks, what about Tunguska? Tie that shit in with real history. And don't even get me started on the ending, that shit was just random horseshit. I'd spoil the ending, but actually reading it would probably hurt more.

Overall, complete waste of time.
Manoil wrote:You should also consider reading the Batman: No Man's Land arc.
I'd say fuck it. Reading a bit of it atm, and it's mostly garbage. The arc effect is pretty nice, but it just can't compete to The Long Halloween or Dark Victory.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Certain slices of NML are poor, granted, but the majority are good. I just read through the Dark Knight Returns, enjoyed it even though the art depicted Batman as this impossibly large human, or Robin as this impossibly small one. Overall, not too shabby
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

I disagree. For the most part, all the comics are plagued with theatrical dialogue and most plot-lines lead to nowhere. All of the authors so far seem to be stuck in some kind of 30's-40's mindset, where they feel it necessary for the main characters to describe what's going on in the pictures. Sure, back in the old days you might not be able to tell what's going on, because the artwork could be fairly simplistic. Here we have excellent art (I'll admit, there are numerous good visuals throughout) and this sort of writing really feels out of place. My conclusion is that it's made to appeal to idiots, who delight in having the obvious pointed out to them. Either that, or the authors themselves are morons.

EDIT: Oh, and it's too fucking clean. Too soft. No gray areas. Here are the bad guys, save the day but don't kill anybody. Major mistake too in making Batman this towering all-powerful figure -- you get the feeling that as soon as he's involved any problem is solved momentarily. Result: Enter all the shitty one-dimensional hero characters, who without any real motivation are putting on tights and saving the world. I guess it's just kid stuff and I'm imposing unfair standards on it, but still.

The Filth is an excellent example of brilliant writing and plausible plot, only ever falling short in my regard during the Klimakks bit, and even then it still managed to be funny. Or how about the Watchmen, where on almost every page several plot-lines converge into a single fluent act? By comparison with these greats, it's pure garbage and on its own it's lackluster at best.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I used to like reading punisher but i tried again recently and its pretty bad. half the time the punisher looks like he has down syndrome and the dialogue is terrible. On the other hand I try to put it into the context of pulp so it sort of works.

dont think ive ever read a batman or superman comic, gee
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

how
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

whuff
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Who let the dogs out?
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Manoil wrote:whuff
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Dead soles.

Post by Blargh »

Are you mocking that poor, dead fictitious man, Danny ? Are you ? What say you have a proxy put a few bullets through your chest and see if your death rattle is any less anticlimactic ? Perhaps by way of a medium. Limbo popup. ZOUNDS. :drunk:
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Our Host!