Just watched Book of Eli and Cop Out

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Just watched Book of Eli and Cop Out

Post by Yonmanc »

So I finally got around to seeing these, and I must say, I was disappoint.

Book of Eli: All round 5/10. Fight scenes were cool, scenery was cool, and that chick from That 70's Show whose face and ass I want to fuck was in it. Unfortunately the script was poor, the story was disjointed, the emphasis on religion as a positive force was unconvincing and felt out of place. The whole thing felt like a good story the creators were having difficulty telling.

Cop Out: Not as bad the critics made it out to be, but not as good as I was expecting. Most of the characters weren't fleshed out enough to be funny themelves, and the comedic aspects alone seemed to rely entirely on Tracey Morgan, who despite being a funny stand-up, seemed to struggle with what little material he had been left with. Still, the movie didn't hang around too long, and despite not really being very engaging, the few laughs that were to be had were worth what I paid for this movie (not much). 6/10
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I liked them both. I would suck as a movie critic :chew:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Or you'd cater to a different audience.

And who gives a shit about being engaging. Tracy Morgan says "There are things you don't know about me, I'll punch a kid in the dick" after <i>punching a kid in the dick</i>. :humor:
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

I did say there were a few laughs to be had!
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

I do believe Book of Eli to be the work of a genius.

Seriously, consider this. The twist is bad enough that the viewer could've noticed it five minutes in while barely paying attention, and the filmmakers manage the impossible in hiding it for an hour and a half by making it far more interesting for you to do anything else, like count your pubes, recite the yellow pages in iambic pentameter or even to just plainly fall asleep, rather than to focus on the movie.

At least the cannibal scene was ok but hell, even Ray Charles woulda seen it coming from a mile off. And still it's just an ok, if very thin, slice of ham in a week old bread sandwich of ejaculate and gravel.

+1 for Tom Waits (if underused)
-5 for preachy overtone

-4/10

Das Rod played at 4x the normal speed is still more interesting than this.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I've actually always enjoyed Gary Oldman's performances since I first saw him in Air Force One. Definitely underappreciated
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Manoil wrote:I've actually always enjoyed Gary Oldman's performances since I first saw him in Air Force One. Definitely underappreciated
I'm usually a fan of Oldman but even he seemed off in this. Still my fave Oldman role was Zorg in Fifth Element so I'm probably just talking out of my ass (love that movie fuck you!).
Last edited by Yonmanc on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I like the Fifth Element, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know a single person who had seen it and not liked it.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

5th was legit. I still haven't seen Eli, heard it was religious/preachy and kinda stepped back in fear of a future association between post-apoc and christianity unable to get out of my head.

He does an above-standard role in the batman movies for the lines he's given, and has stood out in a bunch of other films. Definitely a favorite actor
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

The Fifth Element was certainly entertaining if nothing else (what more does the average moive-goer want, really? Intellectual and philosophical symbolisms galore? Nay!).

Saw Book of Eli at the big screen. Did/do not think biblical plot centers were an entertainment necessity, especially when dealing with post apoc, despite my Catholic background. Still, entertaining to watch...to a point!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I actually thought it was about criticizing religion?

SPOILER ALERT

Like, you know, when the whole world-ending war that occured was caused by religion and that's the reason why they burned all the remaining copies of the Bible afterwards? That religon's shit, deal with it. And how Gary Oldman tries to find the last Bible so he can use it to control the masses and spread his reign of evil (pope)?
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

That leaves the protagonist, and exactly what is his role? ;)

I think it's more to do with how God's teachings can actually be exploited by evil men than Christianity as a whole being evil. Pope with or not-withstanding.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

I hated Eli's machete. It was a big damn cheese knife and way too clean and shiny and shit.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Considering it seemed like he cleaned in whenever he was just sitting around that makes sense. My memory is a little fuzzy, though. I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

A blade constantly used as a weapon and a tool would be stained, bent, chipped and generally worn. His blade looked like he had it brand new from some mailorder that specializes on MacFarlane action figures and wolf t shirts, as well as fantasy blades.

I understand that religious heroes often had fancy swords and shit, but it's kinda out of place.
A simple dirty machete with lots of wear and tear would be much more badass. Slaughtering cunts with a dull machete. In the name of the good book. :salute:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

That's over a week old now, dude.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I hadn't seen it until yesterday.

But it's not a negative influence on this place, so quit your whining and drink your milk.
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Kashluk wrote:I actually thought it was about criticizing religion?

SPOILER ALERT

Like, you know, when the whole world-ending war that occured was caused by religion and that's the reason why they burned all the remaining copies of the Bible afterwards? That religon's shit, deal with it. And how Gary Oldman tries to find the last Bible so he can use it to control the masses and spread his reign of evil (pope)?
I just felt it was there attempt at trying to be even handed, whilst at the same time it tured out it was God directing Eli. I just felt it was odd and out of place. Reminded of those shitty christian movies on the SyFy channel.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Were there ever any good Christian movies, post-Chuck Heston?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Our Host!