Board Games

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Monopoly - It comes in many flavours
http://www.boardgames.com/monopolygames1.html
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Axis & Allies is legit if you have a lot of time to kill and at least one if not two or three friends crazy enough to play. I have only played the new version once and did not like it though. The version circulating in the late 90's was far superior. Russia always got the shaft but it was funny anyway.

Settlers of Cataan [and the various spinoffs] are enjoyable as well. Much less lighthearted and don't take a whole afternoon, but still emphasize strategy and planning to at least some degree. Highly enjoyable.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The best game of Axis and Allies I ever played took 3 days in college. There were four of us, one of who was a hulking black guy who generated the quote, "Give me my sixteen dollars and I'm taking Norway!"
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

More like 'bored' games. Am I right fellas, huh, huh?? See what i did there?
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Yonmanc wrote:Bored gayms am I right fellas!?
Dogmeatlives wrote:More like 'bored' games. Am I right fellas, huh, huh?? See what i did there?
How about some bored games eh fellas?
I miss the good ol' USSA.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Retlaw83 wrote:The best game of Axis and Allies I ever played took 3 days in college. There were four of us, one of who was a hulking black guy who generated the quote, "Give me my sixteen dollars and I'm taking Norway!"
That sounds incredibly fun, if you remember any details I'd like to hear the rest.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Whoever controlled Norway left it undefended, allowing Big Dave (the black guy, who we called Big Dave to differentiate him from Little Dave who was an average white guy) to invade it as the Soviets. When his turn was about to start, Big Dave saw the opening and said, "Wait, can I take Norway?" in a eureka moment because it was his first game. When he was informed of this, he demanded his turn money and declared his intent. Other than that I remember nothing.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

jetbaby wrote:Axis & Allies is legit if you have a lot of time to kill and at least one if not two or three friends crazy enough to play. I have only played the new version once and did not like it though. The version circulating in the late 90's was far superior. Russia always got the shaft but it was funny anyway.

Settlers of Cataan [and the various spinoffs] are enjoyable as well. Much less lighthearted and don't take a whole afternoon, but still emphasize strategy and planning to at least some degree. Highly enjoyable.

We will probably try Settlers of Catan but right now we are kind of addicted to Munchkin even thought it has started to die a bit atleast with me. I would play risk or axis & allies but the games sounds too long for us and I don't think we would get past the learning curve, we had a hard enough time learning munchkin.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Citadels is awesome.

And yeah, Cattan is enjoyable.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Tragic: The Garnering.

Also, jetbaby, you're still alive? Did you make it to the TKK/LOA show a few months ago(If i'm remember right where you're from)?
...signatures? WTF?
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

edit
Last edited by cazsim83 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

catman has really hardened (nonsexually) lately...
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

jetbaby wrote:Axis & Allies is legit if you have a lot of time to kill and at least one if not two or three friends crazy enough to play. I have only played the new version once and did not like it though. The version circulating in the late 90's was far superior. Russia always got the shaft but it was funny anyway.
I think that was 3rd Ed.?
Yeah, Russia is like playing a punching bag, but if you can weather the storm you can get the most gains.
The best game of Axis and Allies I ever played took 3 days in college.
In A&A it seems like a lot of German players blow their wad too soon and the game is decided one way or the other in the first 3 turns. The best games are the ones that last longer, because shit gets so random and messy.

A&A starts the same, so everyone seems to have a favorite strategy, but after a couple turns of randomness if the game keeps going it's usually cool, with a lot of the more remote locations coming into play (US island hopping, or Japs invade west coast) and a lot more unconventional strategy, or things that wouldn't make sense historically

Was cleaning some shit out of my parent's house and rescued my old A&A as well as Fortress America. Not a bad game from that same series, except this one being a US invasion.

IIRC it came out during that kind of "Red Dawn", Reagan Era end of the Cold War era and captures the vibe pretty good. America is totally outnumbered but has partisan (ie armed redneck?) uprisings and a growing Star Wars program right out of the Reagan playbook.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

I've heard about Fortress America, but its not being made anymore and copies of it online are expensive as hell.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Cimmerian Nights wrote: I think that was 3rd Ed.?
Yeah, Russia is like playing a punching bag, but if you can weather the storm you can get the most gains.
Russia goes first and starts with a beefy stack of troops and steamrolled the hell out of Germany on turn one in my one attempt at the newest version. That and neutrals being impassable just made me throw in the towel. OG Russia was a beast if you could keep it kicking though. It was all about swarming infantry to delay the inevitable on a wall of corpses.

Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

jetbaby wrote:
Cimmerian Nights wrote: I think that was 3rd Ed.?
Russia goes first and starts with a beefy stack of troops and steamrolled the hell out of Germany on turn one in my one attempt at the newest version. That and neutrals being impassable just made me throw in the towel. OG Russia was a beast if you could keep it kicking though. It was all about swarming infantry to delay the inevitable on a wall of corpses.
I think there were some variant rule (Axis Advantage - I remember this from the PC version) where Russia could not strike 1st and German and Japan each started with 1 tech.

Russia can be effective, but their whole strategy is pretty sloggy, land based battles of attrition. Strategically it's stifling. I usually throw my INF into the meatgrinder since they are pretty fungible and hold my tanks and planes back for counter attacks.
Comapre to say UK is not all that strong, but plenty of bombers and naval units gives you the opportunity for some far flung, varied attacks with lots of options.
I've heard about Fortress America, but its not being made anymore and copies of it online are expensive as hell.
It was fun, but not as good as A&A.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Axis & Allies always ends up in a fight with someone. Chances are even higher if one of the opponents is your woman.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Caleb wrote:Tragic: The Garnering.

Also, jetbaby, you're still alive? Did you make it to the TKK/LOA show a few months ago(If i'm remember right where you're from)?
DAC ate my post, I posted but never apparently showed, that I'm in your area, still alive and kicking, but have no idea what TKK/LOA would reference.

Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

jetbaby wrote:
Caleb wrote:Tragic: The Garnering.

DAC ate my post, I posted but never apparently showed, that I'm in your area, still alive and kicking, but have no idea what TKK/LOA would reference.
Hm..I may be wrong about your taste in music. My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult played a show with Lords of Acid in July. It was fucking amazing :rockon:
...signatures? WTF?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Good god, I didn't realized Lords of Acid still existed. Now that you say it I get the abbreviation, but it was completely over my head at first. No, I definitely didn't go. Last show I went to was Doomtree up in Seattle back in Novemberish, and that was the first show in many, many a year.

Our Host!