Running Fallout 2 requires the CD

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
itsjeremy6
SDF!
SDF!

Running Fallout 2 requires the CD

Post by itsjeremy6 »

I did the humongous installation, I installed the patch, I ran as administrator, I ran in compatibility mode, I checked the pathways in .cfg, I own the cd and it is in the computer as I speak. The patch and the game are both the US version. Everything is as it should be, but I still get the "running fallout 2 requires cd" error. I did all this a couple days ago, and the computer has been rebooted atleast a couple times since. I have been looking everywhere for advice, but I can't find anything I have not done yet to get my Christmas Fallout 2 to work T_T

Any help is much appreciated.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I guess you should put the disk in the tray.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Are you inserting the CD into the same drive you installed the game from?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
itsjeremy6
SDF!
SDF!

Post by itsjeremy6 »

Retlaw83 wrote:Are you inserting the CD into the same drive you installed the game from?
I only have one cd drive: E drive. The game was installed into the C drive, however. I don't think that makes a difference though?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

It seems to for some older games I have, but it apparently isn't a problem in your case,
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

You fucked something up when installing patch, with patched you dont even need cd to play the game. Just reintall everything.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Hellz yes Haris. Re-install. Dont fuck up. Run in compatibility mode if you are running modern hardware or 64 bit OS. Install and try one patch at a time if you keep having problems.
itsjeremy6
SDF!
SDF!

Post by itsjeremy6 »

I have already reinstalled everything once. I am already running in compatibility mode. The right patch is the right patch, so unless I'm using the wrong patch, trying a different patch is not going to help.

Here is where I got my patch from: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/fall ... loads.html

I'll try reinstalling again.
itsjeremy6
SDF!
SDF!

Post by itsjeremy6 »

It works o_o Thanks guys.

Now its onto returning the colors to normal! I love progress! :pelvic_thrust:
itsjeremy6
SDF!
SDF!

Post by itsjeremy6 »

By the way, for anyone who looks at this in the future: my problem was solved by reinstallation using the humongous installation. The first time I tried to reinstall, I was following a lead that said large installation would work better. In my case that was not true. Also, after I reinstalled the game, I reinstalled the patch which I found by googling "fallout 2 patch 1.02." I did originally download a patch that I could not get to install, so if that is your problem, carefully try your luck with another. The are other less important patches, but this is the main one. Also, I have read that the patch you install must match the version of your game. The following website shows the cover art for each version of Fallout 2:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fallout-2/cover-art
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

I see a bright future ahead
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

itsjeremy6 wrote:It works o_o Thanks guys.

Now its onto returning the colors to normal! I love progress! :pelvic_thrust:

The colors thing is quite random, you fix it by pressing esc+crtl so you exit to desktop while game is still runing than return to game. Can take few of those before it fixes it self, sometimes it works after one try and sometimes it works fine withour any fixing at all.
itsjeremy6
SDF!
SDF!

Post by itsjeremy6 »

Haris wrote:The colors thing is quite random, you fix it by pressing esc+crtl so you exit to desktop while game is still runing than return to game. Can take few of those before it fixes it self, sometimes it works after one try and sometimes it works fine withour any fixing at all.
Well, first of all, the color was improved significantly, but not fully, when I entered compatibility mode. But I have noticed that it makes the colors weird and fixes the colors sometimes when I minimize and maximize the screen (alt+tab). I just tried using ctrl+esc (on my browser) and all it does is bring up the start menu. esc+ctrl does nothing.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

itsjeremy6 wrote:
Haris wrote:The colors thing is quite random, you fix it by pressing esc+crtl so you exit to desktop while game is still runing than return to game. Can take few of those before it fixes it self, sometimes it works after one try and sometimes it works fine withour any fixing at all.
Well, first of all, the color was improved significantly, but not fully, when I entered compatibility mode. But I have noticed that it makes the colors weird and fixes the colors sometimes when I minimize and maximize the screen (alt+tab). I just tried using ctrl+esc (on my browser) and all it does is bring up the start menu. esc+ctrl does nothing.
To fix the colour thing, make a text file with the following lines, of course using your actual FO2 path:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
C:"Fallout2""FALLOUT2.exe"
start explorer.exe

Then turn it into a .bat file and run FO2 from there. It shuts down explorer when you start the game and restarts it once you leave the game. Works like a miracle - your colour problem is solved.

Also, I recommend playing with Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration patch. I finally recently finished the game with the patch and it's a flawed, yet worthy addition. Work in progress, shall we say.

edit: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=811799
Our Host!