Celebrating Academia

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Thoughts on the Academia?

Aiming for PhD.
36%
Going for Master's.
18%
Settling with Bachelor's.
18%
No need / interest / guts to study that much.
No votes
I despise higher education out of pure principle.
27%

Total votes: 11

Kashluk

Celebrating Academia

Post by Kashluk »

So it's finally come to this. Who would've thought?

I'm graduating as a Bachelor of Social Sciences (majoring in Political Science) from the University of Jyväskylä by the end of this year, after 2½ years.

But, of course, it's not the end of uni life for me just yet. Our educational system considers B.Sc to be just a checkpoint in the race towards Master's degree. I'm already half-way through with my master's thesis, so it shouldn't take me more than two years to finish with what's left of my minors' (Economics, Accounting) and major's courses.

Anyone else up for graduating parties any time soon? :dance:
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

I am going for the PH.D. Great things are to come from my publishing.
I been K-lined, G-lined, and Kalvin Klein'd. Nevermind , my kicks, temp bans, perma bans and accusations that i use contraband. i am a hardcore troller, from when i get out of bed, till i fall asleep contemplating the new trolls that lay ahead. 24/7 the net is active, gotta preemptive or be two two puh packive
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

im finishing my BA this year, wait another year and go for my MA. id like to do my phD eventually but, probably not til 2020 at least XD
:chew:
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Re: Celebrating Academia

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Kashluk wrote:So it's finally come to this. Who would've thought?

I'm graduating as a Bachelor of Social Sciences (majoring in Political Science) from the University of Jyväskylä by the end of this year, after 2½ years.

But, of course, it's not the end of uni life for me just yet. Our educational system considers B.Sc to be just a checkpoint in the race towards Master's degree. I'm already half-way through with my master's thesis, so it shouldn't take me more than two years to finish with what's left of my minors' (Economics, Accounting) and major's courses.

I don't think DAC is the right place to gather inspiration for existential decisions. I'd go with as much education as possible, but that's just me.

Cakester wrote:I am going for the PH.D. Great things are to come from my publishing.
This would require you to finish highschool first, right? :giggle:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Alister McFap II Esq. wrote:I don't think DAC is the right place to gather inspiration for existential decisions. I'd go with as much education as possible, but that's just me.
Well, I'm not. I'm only interested in what others are doing or planning. I've already made my decisions regarding my education. Just trying to be social, mate :chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

hygher education is about who has the need / interest / guts to go through lots of pointless buttcr*p! alright you could learn 95% of that shyt by reading a few books at home, its not like you learn anything from a batchellors degree anyway. plus pointless tedious bureaucratic moodle doodle buttfuckery 2/47

but thats probably just me because theres nothing in the uni that interests me, the phd of 420 ;) B)

what's your thesis about? cow tipping in larkwater?
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Alister McFap II Esq. wrote:
This would require you to finish highschool first, right? :giggle:
Someone seems to have mistakenly recommended that you skip your own years in high school. Judging by how your own arrogance has evidently led you to making a fundamental oversight which I am about to use against you.

Everyday you kiss the ass of your averagely-intelligent friends and never once considered that typically it is required of them to "finish" high-school.

Lastly, you can't possibly be smarter than me in the ways you and your friends have been trying to promote. This is because I clearly understand some societal standards you forgot or were never aware of when you chose to formulate your rhetoric.
I been K-lined, G-lined, and Kalvin Klein'd. Nevermind , my kicks, temp bans, perma bans and accusations that i use contraband. i am a hardcore troller, from when i get out of bed, till i fall asleep contemplating the new trolls that lay ahead. 24/7 the net is active, gotta preemptive or be two two puh packive
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Cakester wrote: Lastly, you can't possibly be smarter than me
Everyone on this board with the exceptions of Username and MRsnake are smarter than you.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Cakester wrote: Lastly, you can't possibly be smarter than me
Everyone on this board with the exceptions of Username and MRsnake are smarter than you.
How unspecific of you for a very demanding person when it comes to anything abstract.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I was specific. In this case, the exceptions far outweighed the inclusions.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Retlaw83 wrote:I was specific. In this case, the exceptions far outweighed the inclusions.
That is a reprehensibly misplaced and an understatement.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

The Thermodynamics of Retardation

Today:

The Perpetuum Mobile - AKA Prosper/Cakester/bryanr/timothytimbers

Go science! :pelvic_thrust:
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Alister McFap II Esq. wrote:The Thermodynamics of Retardation

Today:

The Perpetuum Mobile - AKA Prosper/Cakester/bryanr/timothytimbers

Go science! :pelvic_thrust:
. :joy:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Even though I'm only a sophomore I'm shooting for a masters degree in United States history.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Right now I'd be content living out bush hunting drop bears for the rest of my days to be honest, but I think I'm gonna push it through.

But yeah, grats to Kashluk. :joy:
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

SenisterDenister wrote:masters degree in United States history
Weekend seminar?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

How are you graduating already after two and a half years? Weren't you just the GREAT WAR HERO GENERALISSIMO like last summer?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Kashluk wrote:So it's finally come to this. Who would've thought?

Well you sure took your sweet ass time kash, Ive always considered you my finnish me...separated only by a slim strip of water.
Many a night I've stood gazing across the gulf of bothnia thinking to myself:
I wonder what Kash is doing right now.
Then my mind wanders and I recall that dashing photo of you in uniform wearing that beret like it aint no thing.

But I took my masters liek 3 years ago.... you should have had yours by now. You're ruining EVERYTHING! That and the fact that you should be doing summit technical.... social sciences is sort of girly... and unscientific.
If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I'm finishing up my BA this year after fucking around for the last six years. Afterwards, I plan to journey to Korea to teach english. I have a vague plan to further my art skills in asia, but we'll see.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Gimp Mask wrote:what's your thesis about? cow tipping in larkwater?
Almost. You got the location right. It's about local politics and governance - how they can easily become something close to dogmatic religion, because of strong local authorities and narrow discourse. I'm concentrating on creating this wacko "Image based on organic food [production]" and the whole fucked up setting around it.
SenisterDenister wrote:Even though I'm only a sophomore I'm shooting for a masters degree in United States history.
Well, it's always good to have your shit in order in time. Someone with a bit more pessimistic attitude could say that you're already a sophomore.
jetbaby wrote:How are you graduating already after two and a half years? Weren't you just the GREAT WAR HERO GENERALISSIMO like last summer?
Summer 2008. It's been 2½ years, mate, you gotta keep the wheels turning.
Mismatch wrote:Well you sure took your sweet ass time kash, Ive always considered you my finnish me...separated only by a slim strip of water.
Many a night I've stood gazing across the gulf of bothnia thinking to myself:
I wonder what Kash is doing right now.
Then my mind wanders and I recall that dashing photo of you in uniform wearing that beret like it aint no thing.
That was the single most sweetest thing anyone has ever told me :eyebrow:
Mismatch wrote:But I took my masters liek 3 years ago.... you should have had yours by now. You're ruining EVERYTHING! That and the fact that you should be doing summit technical.... social sciences is sort of girly... and unscientific.
Ach, well... What can I say? I'm slow? By this rate I will already be 24 by the time I get my Master's degree. (Probably) one third of my life behind me, puff, just like that.

And I'm being technical. Just because I'm not an engineering twat doesn't mean I wouldn't know shit. Besides, I do calculus crap much better than Economics and Accounting majors on average, so screw them. They have no idea when it comes to political language and culture, yet I can still own them in their home field number game :dance:

What I've witnessed, there's much more science in understanding how the world works than taking something some professor once said for granted (fuck you, natural scientists). Now I'm just ranting, but yeah, my point was that being scientific isn't really dependant on your field of study as long as you follow 'the Code'. You can do bullshit pseudo-science while being an engineer or a mathematician as well.
Dogmeatlives wrote:I'm finishing up my BA this year after fucking around for the last six years. Afterwards, I plan to journey to Korea to teach english. I have a vague plan to further my art skills in asia, but we'll see.
What's your major? Teaching English sounds fancy, but do you have any formal pedagogical training? When I think of (South) Korea, it wouldn't feel as simple as that... they've got standards, you know. Dem ain't no turd world country fer sure.
Our Host!