Welcome to New Vegas (first impressions)

Discuss Obsidian's Vegas Fallout game here. Also: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter and other new dairy products from Bethesda's farm that don't have separate forums here yet.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

You really need an anti-materiel rifle and a cozy, unreachable sniper spot to fight those things.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Am I the only one that has the master repair dickhead in the Brotherhood safe house repair all my gear, then steal the bottle caps back off him afterward? Free repair ftw.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:How many of you are playing on hardcore? I'm playing regular right now but I'm thinking of turning it on to feel more hardcore.
It's very worthwhile.
Wolfman Walt wrote:So. I was wandering the Mojave thinking I'm cool with my hunting rifle and my cool shades when suddenly a Deathclaw came and wrecked my shit up completely.
Been there, done that. It was a sad, sad day.
SenisterDenister wrote:Gifted
Or because Gifted was the most broken and unbalanced Trait available in Fallout. Seven stat points was insane.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Retlaw83 wrote:You really need an anti-materiel rifle and a cozy, unreachable sniper spot to fight those things.
Or to wield This Machine and befriend Boone, the 1st Recon Sniper. It'll be deathclaw chow, baby :chew: Aim for the eyes!

These days I actually find Giant Radscorpions to be more troublesome since they've got so thick armor on them.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

On my second playthrough I decided I was going to be a female who worked for the Legion, because on my first playthrough I was a dude who conversed with the Legion mostly through bullets to the face.

After hearing what some legionnaires said and talking to Siri, my skin was crawling and I felt icky by the time I left the Fort, so I don't see my original plan happening.
- the Vault Dweller
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Legion plotline is tough. You've gotta do some pretty morally unsound shit, and not in a snidely whiplash "Mr. Burke" kinda way. Very up close and personal.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Retlaw83 wrote:You really need an anti-materiel rifle and a cozy, unreachable sniper spot to fight those things.
Where can you get an anti-materiel rifle? Haven't come across one yet. It looks like there is one in the Gun Runner's kiosk outside their base, but I haven't taken the chance of breaking in yet.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Aonaran wrote:Am I the only one that has the master repair dickhead in the Brotherhood safe house repair all my gear, then steal the bottle caps back off him afterward? Free repair ftw.
You paid the price from stealing. Karma.
I been K-lined, G-lined, and Kalvin Klein'd. Nevermind , my kicks, temp bans, perma bans and accusations that i use contraband. i am a hardcore troller, from when i get out of bed, till i fall asleep contemplating the new trolls that lay ahead. 24/7 the net is active, gotta preemptive or be two two puh packive
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

King of Creation wrote:Where can you get an anti-materiel rifle? Haven't come across one yet. It looks like there is one in the Gun Runner's kiosk outside their base, but I haven't taken the chance of breaking in yet.
The robot vendor in the kiosk starts selling the rifle at some point. As far as I'm aware, they seem to get more money every 3 or 4 days but I'm yet to understand what causes merchants to refresh their inventories.

Alternatively, you could just grab yourself the electric bazooka. Just head due south from the raided farmstead, southeast of wolfhorn ranch. Bring some pulse grenades, though.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Tofu Man wrote:Alternatively, you could just grab yourself the electric bazooka. Just head due south from the raided farmstead, southeast of wolfhorn ranch. Bring some pulse grenades, though.
Yach, that shit was tough. If you go there, though, remember to bring Arcade Gannon with you...
hoochimama
Respected
Respected

Post by hoochimama »

Tofu Man wrote:The robot vendor in the kiosk starts selling the rifle at some point. As far as I'm aware, they seem to get more money every 3 or 4 days but I'm yet to understand what causes merchants to refresh their inventories.
Dirty level-scaling.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

New Vegas doesn't have level-scaling, everything is set in stone hence the Damage Threshold system to keep it balanced. The reason the items got in stock there were because inventories refresh after a few days. The reason it wasn't there when you first got there was simply because it wasn't in stock.

However I found an anti-materiel rifle in the Brotherhood bunker and got it there for Boone. I didn't find the BoS or actually get to the New Vegas outskirts until like level 16, and even now at 22 I've yet to actually enter the city itself. I keep getting distracted by all of the side missions.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I haven't really fucked with companions too much, so maybe one of you folks can answer this. Do you still have to feed ammo to your companions? Using your example, you gave Boone the Anti-Materiel, do you then have to keep him supplied with ammo for it?
SenisterDenister

If you have ammo on them they use it, however I think they can use a weapon without ammo. I'm not entirely sure, though. I had Boone using a Marksman Rifle for a while but he chewed through the ammo like fucking crazy and when he ran out he switched back to his default (which I assume has infinite ammo). Actually, I think if you give them any ranged weapon that's not their default they require ammunition for it.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Yeah, that is my problem with companions, you can't trust them with rare ammo. They have no discretion. They would just as soon shoot a radroach as a Deatclaw, both of which they'd shoot with precious 50 cal.
SenisterDenister

The Marksman Carbine uses 5.56, so its cheap and since companions don't wear down weapon and armor condition its pretty inexpensive to maintain. I keep the anti-materiel rifle on ED-E and only give it to Boone when we come across something big to conserve ammunition.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Pretty sharp strategy. I only now am playing a guns character (after 2 plays with Melee/Unarmed) and I've just discovered the joy of Surplus ammo for the Ratslayer. Varmint rifles are so abundant that I don't really care how much it tears the weapon up, there is always another to repair it with around the corner. Gotta say, I am LOVING the ammo subtypes as well as the added complexity they bring to the game, shame none of this cool shit will carry over to Fallout 4...
hoochimama
Respected
Respected

Post by hoochimama »

SenisterDenister wrote:New Vegas doesn't have level-scalingeverything is set in stone
No.

If you have doubts open the geck and see for yourself, the gun runner shop for instance sells different level-dependent tiers of equipment. If you only qualify for tier 1 then no matter how many times the store refreshes itself it will still only have tier 1 items available.

The level scaling applies to creatures and npcs too. How do you like your random robber wielding daedric weapons against you?
Last edited by hoochimama on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

First playthrough complete, level 30, went 'solo'. Nice. Time for something else, then? Still about 50% of the map unexplored.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Aonaran wrote:I haven't really fucked with companions too much, so maybe one of you folks can answer this. Do you still have to feed ammo to your companions? Using your example, you gave Boone the Anti-Materiel, do you then have to keep him supplied with ammo for it?
You gotta feed them ammo. Veronica specializes in unarmed combat, and I once saw her punch the entire Atomic Wrangler to death with a series of one-punch take downs after I accidentally (read, purposefully) shot the blackjack dealer in the back of the head. She's easily the most entertaining companion I've gotten so for (Felicia Day voices her brilliantly) but she's bugged and doesn't level up with you like the other companions. However, there's a mod that fixes that.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!