Let Me In

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Let Me In

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It's a remake of the Swedish movie called "let the right one in" or something. It's about a boy who meets a girl who moves in and she is a vampire but they become friends and stuff. You can't really say much more without spoiling it other than that the movie was okay, had a more interesting story the farther it got and has maybe one cool dynamic. I found the movie interesting and I would maybe give it or the Swedish movie a watch but don't expect action and stuff.

My biggest beef was my dad eating the popcorn during the movie, he chews really loud and the whole time I'm tense that someone is going to tell him to shut up so I constantly hit him in the leg and tell him to be quiet but he says the popcorn is hard and I can't focus on the movie. It's always a problem during movies that don't have a lot of sound going on like dramas and horror movies.

Did anyone see the Swedish movie?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I saw the Swedish movie, it's more of a drama than horror, though a lot of the elements are horrific. The Swedish version focuses on the dynamic between the characters and doesn't try to go for any scares.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

I like Elias Koteas.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

ogm spoilars pepl die !

Post by Blargh »

Let the Right One In was notable, to me, for one³ reason only - child actors who weren't absolute shite. This alone, I suspect, places it ahead of the remake¹. :drunk:

³I tell a lie. Reason two : decapitated childerens.

¹I almost certainly won't ever confirm this with any certainty.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

HOW COULD I FORGET THE SELF IMMOLATION ? DOES LET ME IN HAVE SELF IMMOLATION ? SOMEONE ANSWER THAT PLEASE.

:drunk:
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

rad resistance wrote:I like Elias Koteas.
:rockon:
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:girl
Isn't "it" supposed to be a Eunuch? (Edit) I just caught the remake. They bitched out majorly on the gender stuff, including the "girl" being a castrated male. Pretty weak movie, overall.
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:My biggest beef was my dad eating the popcorn during the movie, he chews really loud and the whole time I'm tense that someone is going to tell him to shut up so I constantly hit him in the leg and tell him to be quiet but he says the popcorn is hard and I can't focus on the movie. It's always a problem during movies that don't have a lot of sound going on like dramas and horror movies.
It's cool, man. My dad laughs VERY loudly at every possible comic relief moment and shakes the popcorn bag for no apparent reason.
Last edited by Aonaran on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

DP (lulz)
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

There seems to be this silly trend going on that Hollywood remakes a year or two old Swedish movies -- often giving nothing new and worthwhile to the cinematic arts besides offering the American audiences a chance to watch the film without subtitles.

It's incredibly stupid. Did Let Me In actually change the setting? Was the movei situated in US or UK? Because in the remake of The Girl w/ the Dragon tattoo the characters are still supposedly Swedish and the places are in Sweden... they just speak English with an accent to each other now.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Kashluk wrote:There seems to be this silly trend going on that Hollywood remakes a year or two old Swedish movies -- often giving nothing new and worthwhile to the cinematic arts besides offering the American audiences a chance to watch the film without subtitles.
They also remove anything interesting about the movie - when my friends and I watched the Swedish movie, we took bets on what wouldn't be in the US version. I haven't seen the US version, and I don't know if I'm planning to, but I bet we were mostly right. On the other hand, Chloe Grace Moritz plays the vampire, and something like Hit Girl wasn't exactly a role children are usually cast in.

Hollywood sucks, and they've been running out of ideas for the past half a decade. The trend is remaking foreign movies (even movies the British have made that are already in English!), "remakes" of older movies and TV shows that are such a departure from the source material they could easily get away with using another title (except then they'd have to rely on the power of their shitty movie instead of name recognition), and sequels to movies that had original ideas, in addition to sequels to the remakes (Ocean's 37, anyone?) and source material that they raped (what are we on, Starship Troopers 12?).

There's only two or three movies released a year that are worth seeing anymore. A couple more years and they'll be as bad off as the record industry, screaming that piracy is ruining them instead of taking responsibility for the fact they aren't selling anything because their products are inferior to other sources of entertainment.

The tl:dr version is that, anymore, trying to find a good Hollywood movie is almost as difficult as trying to find good rap on radio station rotation.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

A MULTITUDE OF MEANINGS EGAD THE GUILT OH THE HORRIBLE GUILT

Post by Blargh »

Bashmuk wrote:incredibly
An intellectually indolent trend for a like minded target audience. Gosh.

Divorced as THEY are from the entirely reasonable need to be able to take meaningful pride in one's work, the purse holders have no motivation to provide anything but pablum to an arena in which pablum is in high demand. We are suffering a similar stagnancy with regard to gaming, despite the relative infancy of the medium. Ominous.

When all one can perceive is finance, there can be no incentive toward the creation of monuments to anything but filthy lucre. :drunk:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Kashluk wrote:There seems to be this silly trend going on that Hollywood remakes a year or two old Swedish movies -- often giving nothing new and worthwhile to the cinematic arts besides offering the American audiences a chance to watch the film without subtitles.

It's incredibly stupid. Did Let Me In actually change the setting? Was the movei situated in US or UK? Because in the remake of The Girl w/ the Dragon tattoo the characters are still supposedly Swedish and the places are in Sweden... they just speak English with an accent to each other now.
The movie is based in the US but from what I gathered from the reviews I looked at before hand is that the US movie is pretty much the same as the Swedish one because they were all criticizing that there wasn't much originality or differentiation between the two. I assume they just made everything American in the movie but it fits well so I don't care much.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Our Host!