Chris Avellone gets perky

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Well, all perks really depend on what kind of character you're playing. Sniper may be great, but your HtH or melee char isn't going to take it.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Well, most of the time, if you don't want to kill you don't need the XP as you'll tend to take a more diplomatic appraoch - which at least in Fallouts means you don't need to exceed any many skills but Speech and have good charisma and Int...

I'm not saying it's useless, just that thre are other which might be more interesting...
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Red wrote:Swift lerner is mostly futile... Just kill a few extra encounters instead...
Then again, if you do a few more random encounters WITH Swift Learner...
------------------
Red

Post by Red »

You'll have slitghly more XP... not enough to raise you 3 etxra levels to get an extra perk to replace the one used on Swift Learner perk...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Comprehension just isn't that useful because there's a limit on how much you can get from books. After a certain amount of book reading, it becomes useless, like Rosh said.
This is a perk that is far more useful in FoT since the 91% "book-learnin'-cap" has been lifted in that game. I took it once in FO2, but found myself holding back from putting points in the the skills that I could get books for and then dicking around before going into the areas that I needed those skills in since I wanted to get the most bang for my perk. In FoT I consider it essential as the first perk for my squad's jack-of-all-trades (followed by 3 levels of Educated).

I'd lump Educated in here as well since I consider the FO RPGs to be nearly unplayable w/less than an 8 IN so SPs aren't exactly an issue. That is doubly true in FO which didn't have the graduated SP requirements.

I agree w/Red on Swift Learner. If you're going to take the route of a combatively weak diplomat/scientist you really won't be needing that many SPs and hence not that many levels.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Spazmo wrote:Sniper may be great, but your HtH or melee char isn't going to take it.
True, they would do better off with Slayer.

I used Swift Learner in my first times with Fallout but I seem to have forgotten about it, but it does make a difference.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Red wrote:You'll have slitghly more XP... not enough to raise you 3 etxra levels to get an extra perk to replace the one used on Swift Learner perk...
That depends. There are quests in Fallout 2 which give 4000-10,000 XP. With Swift Learner, that's an extra 200-500 XP on those quests alone. This as opposed to Awareness, which only gives a little more information about enemies.
------------------
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

OnTheBounce wrote:I'd lump Educated in here as well since I consider the FO RPGs to be nearly unplayable w/less than an 8 IN so SPs aren't exactly an issue.
Ugh. Uk, urk da!

Translation:
Come over 'ere and say that to my 1 INT, "only getting 4 skill points per level" melee character, chump. Come on! Put 'em up! Put 'em up!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:...[A]s opposed to Awareness, which only gives a little more information about enemies.
Yes, but that "little more information about enemies" is often crucial in determining target priorities. A mutie w/a Plasma Rifle is far more dangerous than his identical twin armed with a Flamer. Without Awareness you can't tell which is which until you've been fired on and then can easily loose track in the heat of battle.

In the final analysis it's really all about playing style. I, however, like as much information as possible.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Also, Awareness makes fighting the Master a lot more fun. When I'm alone before his all-consuming glory chipping away at his health, it adds quite a bit to the excitement knowing that he's only got x hit points left, and that if you can only hang on y more rounds, you'll win. And when you get him down to forty, and you know one more shot and he'll die, and then he gets a crit and you gib all over the walls... It's an interesting feeling.

RPG Codex
Vergilius
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Vergilius »

Nothing of importance in this post but here it is:

MCA earlier (BIS brd) said that this investigation of his is because he ponder a bit about Fallout PnP perks and traits[..]

And here it is numbero 2

In my opinion perks and traits is a way to further create the outlines of your character, picking awareness with a 3 per char is bad Rp… just as picking educated with a 2 int char…

edit: Yes I know that you are unable to use the exampels in the game...
De Quattuor Novissimis Memorandis
Mors-Iudicium-Infernus-Paradisus
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I like silent running best, because otherwise i never sneak as I have to keep fiddling around.

Usually I take awareness, silent running and +agility and all the action boys, then use that perk that decreases ap needed to fire a gun. I end up able to fire off about 4 or 5 shots per round.
:chew:
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

That's Bonus Rate of Fire, Pyro. I love in Fallout 1 when I have a Turbo Plasma Rifle that fires at 2 AP and I have 10 AP total...

RPG Codex
Our Host!