Dead State: Zombie Survival RPG

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'm actually surprised at how much better the graphics are than I expected. I mean, considering it's top down 3d. Looks a helluva lot better than AOD.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Mad Max you're a site for sore eyes.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

MMRW :salute:
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Well, it seems the game designer's holding a lil' Q&A over at the game's forums.
Here's a couple of snippets:

Q: Would you say the game is more relateable to Jagged Alliance 1, 2, or at all? I ask this in terms of management, and how closely it resembles either games "laptop" screen.

Also, how will the map be set up? Will it be like JA where there are different sectors that we have to move through? Or will maps be chosen randomly every time we choose to scavenge. Basically, is there a set map in realtime, or are there "levels"?

Will there be a set number of survivors/zombies and will they be able to move from map to map, or is each map randomly populated every time you enter it? I ask this because it would be really damn interesting to get into a firefight with another survivor, wound them and make them retreat, and then later on find that same survivor in a nearby sector having been eaten by zombies (or even turned).
A: "There aren't sectors of control like JA, and our interface doesn't share a lot of functionality with the JA laptop. The area map is closer to Fallout in design. There won't be a set number of (generic) survivors or zombies, though you can alter enemy presence by getting rid of competing factions or try to keep your noise low to reduce the chance that new zombies will be lured to your current area. Sometimes you will encounter survivors or former allies again. There are some special encounters you might run across, which are completely random."
Q: Reading through the other FAQ, it seems there will be a length to each game. Has there been any move towards making a "sandbox survival" mode where the game simply continues until you die or stop playing? Having set time limits in which a game is played is fine, but countless players would enjoy a general sandbox mode where the only way the game ends is if they lose or if they quit. You could even continually increase the difficulty as the game goes on - this way only the smartest survivors will last a long time. Having a game with only set durations for a game would seem to get old after a while - surviving the same 30 min game (just an example) only lasts so long.
A: "No, "sandbox survival" mode, just levels of difficulty, one being much harder and "more realistic" and is more about how many days you can survive. Something like you're describing would take enough work that it would need to be released as an expansion. We're still hoping to allow some modification to the rules for subsequent playthroughs, but nothing that would change the core gameplay too much."
Q: I've been wondering how complex the combat system is. Will you be able to crouch, go prone and sidestep? Will the terrain provide various degrees of cover ala JA2, or will "cover" simply involve getting out of the enemy's line of sight?
A: "Currently, you can't crouch, go prone, or sidestep and cover is mostly about staying out of the lines of sight. Most of these options would only benefit long-range weapon users, which would a small percentage of builds. We'd also have to spend time teaching friendly and enemy AI to deal with it, not to mention do additional into/out of animations for hits or grapples to prone/crouching enemies. It just wasn't worth the time, especially since we wanted to balance the game for melee/ranged rather than tailor the game to styles of ranged combat. The zombies tend to keep people moving, which is another reason we don't have a lot of options to dig in and fight. We'll evaluate defensive bonuses for firing from inside a building, probably, but we want to make sure guns aren't completely overpowered.

A lot of the strategy comes from the different weapon types, how you employ them, how you use thrown items (like noisemakers), where you choose to engage enemies, how much your allies compliment your style, and how you pick your battles."

Head on over here to read the whole thing.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Sounds good. I honestly can't wait for this, and them simply mentioning "expansion" makes my heart flutter. These guys are oldschool and are approaching the game as such: No DLC, just the whole game as it should be, and then maybe an expansion to give people whatever else they would want while still adding enough content to make it worth the price.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I was going to come in a bitch about how shit sick I am about this suddenly influx of zombie shit, but this actually looks pretty balls out. Turn Based Isometric, my anus quivers for thee.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Tofu Man wrote:Y'know Poops, this might be a cool interview to score, if that's your thing.
I'm guessing this Bryan Mitsoda fella wouldn't mind the pub at all.
I could try but just looking at the interviews a lot of them are really good and ask most of the questions I would have asked. Perhaps if you guys create some good questions I can have something to start off with?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Sounds good Poops.

I think, foremost, you should avoid asking direct questions about the game itself, the "What weapons?" "How many companions?" "What factions are there?" kind of questions. He's answering those himself in the game forums.

Here's a couple to start you off:

"Your wikipedia page claims Fallout inspired you to apply for a job @ Black Isle. Can you specify what was it that made you change plans from writing for film/TV in order to write for a games developer?"

"Can you predict (to an extent) what would have been like had Torn been completed and released? Is it fair to say that it was a potential VtM:B in a sense that it would probably be ignored by the vast majority, yet 10 years later be heralded like one of the best or most influential computer RPGs of all time?

"How, as primarily a writer, did you come by the decision of creating a game with such a "familiar" backdrop as a zombie apocalypse?"

"In the mainstream market, I think it's fair to say there's an overall lack of substance in games; new ideas, depth of story, novel gameplay elements, these seem to constantly take the backseat to flashy graphics, celebrity voice-overs or even the PR department. Still, these games sell. What prompts a new company, such as DoubleBear, to have its "debut album" be a turn-based RPG, and one arguably aimed at a slightly older audience?"

"Being a fan, while not having been directly involved in Fallout or Fallout 2's development, can you tell us what you think about Fallout 3? And please, be brutally honest, this is DaC after all."

I was also trying to come up with a question about the people at Black Isle and how everyone who's ever come close to Fallout ends up in the ditch while Bethesda reaps the rewards, but frankly, it'd probably end up being in bad taste.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I suppose one question I have is if this is gonna be a physically distributed game or have to be bought through something like Steam or Direct 2 Drive? While for something like this, I doubt it'll affect my purchase, I (as always) would rather own a physical copy.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

What is the cancellation date.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I suppose one question I have is if this is gonna be a physically distributed game or have to be bought through something like Steam or Direct 2 Drive? While for something like this, I doubt it'll affect my purchase, I (as always) would rather own a physical copy.
No clue, but the preorder nonsense is worth the extra effort, I suppose. Vault 13 gear is about as nostalgic as it gets
Our Host!