Fallout 1 (patched, modded) crashes in RadScorpion cave

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout 1 (patched, modded) crashes in RadScorpion cave

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

I installed Fallout 1 with the following patches and mods:
(1) v.1.2.1 patch (semi-official).
(2) v.1.3.5 patch by TeamX (unofficial).
(3) high resolution patch Ver 2.2b.
(4) NPC Mod by TeamX v3.5 (enabling NPC to raise level).
(5) Fallout restoration project mod (enabling quests and NPCs that are omitted before the game's official release).

So I created my character, killed all the rats in the cave, and proceeded to Shady Sands. I then accepted the RadScorpion quest.

But whenever I go to the RadScorpion cave, the game crashes with the following Application Error:
The exception Breakpoint
A breakpoint has been reached.
(0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x7c90120e

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debut the program

What happened? Which patch and/or mod is the most likely culprit? I think the high resolution patch is not the cause, because I uninstalled the hi-res patch, and the error remains (the hi-res patch is easy to install/uninstall with a click on the .exe, without having to reinstall the game from scratch). Anyone has ever experienced this before?

My system is the following:
MSi Wind U100 netbook
Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz
2GB of RAM
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3

Thanks,
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

By NPCs raising levels, do you mean followers? If that's the case, I'd look into it first.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Retlaw83 wrote:By NPCs raising levels, do you mean followers?
Yes, the patch that enables followers (Ian, Katja, etc) to raise levels.

Retlaw83 wrote:If that's the case, I'd look into it first.
Thanks, but it seems the particular patch is not the problem here.

I don't know, but it seems the problem is the TeamX v.1.2.1 semi-official patch (the first patch I installed with Fallout).

See, I re-installed the whole game. And then I run it unpatched. Naturally, my saved games cannot be restored. Then I installed the v.1.2.1 semi-official patch, and only that patch. I did not install v.1.3.5 patch, hi-resolution patch, etc.

After installing the v.1.2.1 semi-official patch, I can load my saved games. I then accepted the RadSocrpion quest, went to the RadScorpion cave, and the game crashed. Just exactly the same way it crashed when I still had every patch installed.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

you're wearing a white hat.
barlow614
SDF!
SDF!

Post by barlow614 »

Kreshna -

Did you fix the issue? Just yesterday (7/29/10) I've tried installing the game, patching, etc and I crash at exactly the same place.

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit. Today I'm going to try installing and only using the official 1.1 patch to see if that works.
Our Host!