"Deconstructing Vats" by Cimmerian Nights

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

Little late but I couldn't read through the first page of that escapist thread. It was comparable to me being God and all of those posters being a colony of retarded monkeys wondering what to do with their shit. I just don't know how those people figured out how to breathe. It's not that they like FO3; their methods of argument and reasoning and evidence of character show to me that there is a factory (actually probably many factories) producing grade A mentally deficient babies somewhere and letting them free.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Nice, articulate article. I agree with someone on RPGCodex who said it's good to see that DAC can put out stuff like this once in a while.

There are still a few things the obsessive-compulsive in me would like to correct (commas and apostrophes etc) but I don't have editing access. So someone else will have to do it :)
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

"Nostalgia Glasses" is the internet chump's method of going "I have no argument, so let me pretend I just invalidated yours."
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

what's great about that argument too...is that every time somebody tries it, i remark "actually, i'm playing F1 or F2 as we speak because all else on the market is shite in comparison, so this has nothing to do with nostalgia" or some such line and i've never once received a response addressing the fact that i proved their "rose colored glasses" argument incorrect (and it's always true, too. i'm constantly replaying F1, F2 and Arcanum due to the painful truth that most cRPGs these days are shit in comparison).

the poster always goes silent and then appears a few pages or threads down the road saying the same thing once again.
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Todd Howard: making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

To be fair, you can be nostalgic about games as you play them. :chew:
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

St. Toxic wrote:To be fair, you can be nostalgic about games as you play them. :chew:
yeah, but that's not the point. the point is that while playing an old game side-by-side with a new game, both games' flaws and features are obvious and easy to compare. it's not about remembering something with an overly romanticized memory, which is usually what that argument is proposing.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

TBH, I haven't played Fallout 1 or 2 in a good 5 or so years :s But I'm pretty sure I'd have to completely gimp myself if I tried playing them again knowing them in and out so well. Even without comparing Fallout 3 to them, it's just a shitty terrible game that constantly gave me this feeling of "it'll get better in a tick!" till I felt cheated.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

TwinkieGorilla wrote:
St. Toxic wrote:To be fair, you can be nostalgic about games as you play them. :chew:
yeah, but that's not the point. the point is that while playing an old game side-by-side with a new game, both games' flaws and features are obvious and easy to compare. it's not about remembering something with an overly romanticized memory, which is usually what that argument is proposing.
Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case with most Fallout fans. I give either FO1 or FO2 a try at least once a year, perhaps try some mods or fan patches etc. And FO3 is just shit in comparison.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

Kashluk wrote:Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case with most Fallout fans.
wait, what? which part of my post are you addressing, holmes?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Jesus Christ, this thread is overkill. Definitely fleshed out the perspective, however; special thanks to you, Toxie, for the incredibly extensive post I just had the pleasure of reading. What's here will definitely serve the cause of the FO3 grievances compilation.
sydneyroo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sydneyroo »

Thank you very much for this excellent read. Really well-written, should be posted on Bethesda forums. By the way, it made me fuckin sick to read some comments on the Escapist board.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

By all means, I wish someone would post it there.

I'd like to see how fast the thread gets locked and what feeble pretense they use for doing it.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

not worth it. it'd get locked and deleted before you even refreshed the page. they don't need pretenses when their number one rule is "OBEY ZENIMAX". all the mods are slaves to a corporate machine, which is why the ratio between drooling retards who can't think critically (let alone spell at a third grade level) and intelligent posters is so incredibly off-balance. anybody with half a brain has a deep pocket of complaints and criticisms of Bethesda, but the mods won't let that fly. especially since Fallout 3 is "the best game evar!" in most of their minds.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I'm not even sure they think it's teh best game evar but more than they spent a bajillion dollars on it and can't bear to see it criticized fairly, even though much of the gaming media panned it after the fact. However, much of the gaming media praised it profusely until almost a year after it was released, much like Oblivion, so that is a telling clue.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

cazsim83 wrote:I'm not even sure they think it's teh best game evar but more than they spent a bajillion dollars on it and can't bear to see it criticized fairly, even though much of the gaming media panned it after the fact. However, much of the gaming media praised it profusely until almost a year after it was released, much like Oblivion, so that is a telling clue.
i was talking about the moderators, dipshit. the moderators did not spend a bajillion dollars on anything.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'll post a link over there and see how this goes.

EDIT: I'm going to camp the thread in case it gets deleted. http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/t ... ting-vats/ is the link.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

*starts counting*

edit: ask that first poster if he read the article.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I don't need to ask, because he obviously didn't.

The second poster, though, feels it's a smear disguised as a "professional article."
- the Vault Dweller
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Shockingly few replies so far and all of them have been civil.

I'm chalking it up to most Fallout 3 fans being unable to read.
- the Vault Dweller
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

i don't think that forum gets much traffic compared to the New Vegas one, just because it's more current.
Our Host!