Duck and Cover Forum Index

Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Dead State Design Update View next topic
View previous topic
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Update ]

Dead State also known as the Zombie RPG being developed by 2 guys from Obsidian or something just released a new design doc according to RPGcodex;

I didn't post a design update for DoubleBear's zombie game Dead State for a while, so here is one:

Honestly speaking - I think the second Brian and I decided where we were going to set the game in the US, we settled on a school as the player's Shelter. It wasn't really something we hemmed and hawed about, because it seemed a natural choice to us: as we mentioned in our grand reveal article in Rock, Paper, Shotgun, modern American schools (such as the ones Brian and I went to in Florida and Arizona, respectively) look a lot more like fortresses or prisons than the traditional concept of a school. The esteemed Vince was even a little curious about our choice, but when we sent him pictures of schools we'd found while researching the area, and detailed the various features of our own alma maters, he was stunned at the high levels of security of modern schools, and agreed that a school did indeed seem like a pretty good choice.

Another consideration we had that made the school a good solution is that in many areas of the United States, they're set as designated gathering areas in case of disasters. Their gyms are an excellent place to hold and house displaced residents, they have cooking facilities and basic medical supplies on hand, and while old schools (no joke) had bomb shelters, many newer ones - such as those in the tornado-struck region of Texas where
Dead State is set - have underground severe weather shelters. Even if the area was evacuated, those residents either not willing or able to leave would justifiably gather in such a secure location.

The last element that made a school the most feasible location for the Shelter is its modularity. Classrooms are designed to change and swap out elements as teachers and students change, so an unused room has a larger potential to be converted to something more useful than, say, a hotel room could. In addition to this, a school has the starter materials to open up many options for upgrades. The kiln in the art room may not be tested for extremely high temperatures, but with the right supplies and know-how, it might be able to make valuable items. The infirmary is only stocked with the bare minimum of medical supplies, but their advantages are a surplus of room, beds, and an efficient layout. Lab rooms are tested for far higher volume of toxic safety than the average high school chemistry class could ever think of studying - with the right materials, it could prove very useful to you and your fellow survivors. Possibilities exist that require only the right knowledge, supplies, and construction time to unlock, and though you may not have the ability to obtain them all, each one offers its own unique advantages... and, of course, your fellow survivors will have their own preferences for which upgrade to pursue.

Spotted @ RPG Codex

Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm pretty psyched for this one. I'm also surprised it took so long for someone to decide to make a zombie rpg.
SenisterDenister
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This game is going to be so much fun.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm excited.

I'm also curious how many more games can have "Dead" in the title.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't get excited for anything anymore, because nothing lives up to the hype.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Retlaw83 wrote:
I don't get excited for anything anymore, because nothing lives up to the hype.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SenisterDenister wrote:
This game is going to be so much fun.

Word. Besides, only one year to go 'til TBA! icon_drunk
Pity we'll only get a couple of days to play it, at least according to the mayans.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mayan long count calendars have ended before. When that happens they slap fresh coats of paint on the buildings and have a parade, though they'll miss next year's festivities on account of being dead.

Also, Mayan calendar keeping is circumspect at best - they have monuments that commemorate events from the year 3,000 AD.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dogmeatlives wrote:
I'm pretty psyched for this one. I'm also surprised it took so long for someone to decide to make a zombie rpg.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Dogmeatlives wrote:

Now we just need a spaghetti western style RPG in development.
Kashluk
Grand MF
Grand MF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Red Dead?
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kashluk wrote:
Red Dead?

Not much of an RPG in my honest opinion.

That's like comparing Dead State to Dead Rising.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

At least it's well-done in every category. Not a single part of that game was half-assed
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Red Dead was fucking amazing, but I would have enjoyed a more rpg-like experience instead of a gta 'go here and shoot people' style. a larger gripe is the lack of real difficulty. I never felt like I had really better be alert because action sequences were made clear by cutscenes and other warning signs and if I died I could just keep trying til I won.

Gripes not related to multi-player, which is still the shit imo.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wish they ported Red Dead for the PC but I think the project was cancelled. Then again, if the quality's going to be anything like the GTA4 port then oh well fuck that.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Manoil wrote:
At least it's well-done in every category. Not a single part of that game was half-assed

Sure, if you like the idea of having a small controllable hand in a cimematic movie and consider that "fucking amazing" gaming experience than I guess I can see the fruit in that.

Atmosphere and storytelling not to mention grafix are the hallmark of what I want in a g-g-game?

oh tits. icon_drunk
SenisterDenister
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you want to be more like Blargh you'll need a thesaurus.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stalagmite wrote:
Manoil wrote:

Sure, if you like the idea of having a small controllable hand in a cimematic movie and consider that "fucking amazing" gaming experience than I guess I can see the fruit in that.

Atmosphere and storytelling not to mention grafix are the hallmark of what I want in a g-g-game?

oh tits. icon_drunk
You are really putting in 110% towards being a whiny, belligerent cunt these days, you know that? :overachiever:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you can't argue my points in a logical and levelheaded manner dearest Danny (wittiness would be nice as well but alas, beggers can't be choosers) I have no choice but to call you whiney belligerent cunt.

Fuck this shit. I shouldn't have to DEAL.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stalagmite wrote:
If you can't argue my points in a logical and levelheaded manner dearest Danny (wittiness would be nice as well but alas, beggers can't be choosers) I have no choice but to call you whiney belligerent cunt.

Fuck this shit. I shouldn't have to DEAL.
It's finding time to argue virtually every statement of mine as WRONG! that makes you a whiny belligerent cunt. Its not about being right for you, it's about making me wrong. If your primary goal in life is to start fights to prove your manly worth, you could at least have the decency to embrace it and not parade around as Blargh.

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic