Popular Culture

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Popular Culture

Post by Taco-Hero »

Hey guys, I have this assignment that is due pretty soon, and in the assignment I have to argue how popular culture is ruining America. I already have some thoughts on the subject, but I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on it. Maybe not how its ruining America, but on society as a whole.

Maybe you don't think its not ruining society. What do you guys think?

What is popular culture exactly? Eh, whatever is popular? Like I went to the library the other day and there was a lovely rack dedicated to magazines, and a good 90 percent of these magazines had some celebrity on it and some advice on beauty and some other stuff on it. So I guess popular culture is stuff like those magazines, or popular television shows like Jackass and music. Facebook, Twitter, etc.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Eating fatty burgers is part of popular culture. Mcdonals, Burger King, Pizza hut, KFC etc.

You should do an interview of Walter who only eats "good" food and how he feels the fast food industry is destroying the country.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

I didn't even think about fast food. Thanks.
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

Law, Entertainment, Culture/Sub-Culture, Old School/New School Values, etc. With such a broad subject, you have your hands full.

You (could) examine unrequited lurve on the innanet between two DACers...
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

MR Snake wrote:You should do an interview of Walter who only eats "good" food and how he feels the fast food industry is destroying the country.
The fast food industry isn't destroying "the country," but it's doing quite a bit of ecological damage in various ways in various parts of the world. As for the effect on people's health, people who eat that shit constantly are going to develop problems. Unfortunately, the health care industry loves this - sick people equal profit.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
TheCynic
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by TheCynic »

1) Athletes/Celebrities-Wacky how much athletes affect kids (or adults for that matter). Same goes for "celebrities" really.

I don't know how they became so ingratiated into pop culture, but eh.

For example, people know the actors in Shrek but not the representatives of their state/county/town. You know, the people who can make a difference to their quality of life.

2) Advertising- Selling the people previously discussed.

Or something I've noticed, commercials or posters done in a certain way and have nothing to do with the product. I.E." I like that commercial b/c it was shot indie-style"

That's all I got.
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

Dogmeatlives wrote:ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Fucking weaboo japan loving sons of bitches. They didn't even make him a black guy.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

'Popular' culture is only a symptom of a greater malady - the people who have wrought it. :drunk:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I think to make an effective case against any part of pop culture, you should first hone in on something more tangible. A strong argument could be made against the ideals that popular media sell to our children. You should prolly get it out of your head that pop culture can "ruin" the country. It can change it, but it sounds sorta crotchety to start a paper with "Hip Hop music is ruinin' mah country!".

the problem i have is that profit oriented corporations are pretty much the most influential entities in many childrens lives. Of course alot of blame is put back on the parents to take control back from videogames, films, music, friends, other sources of influience, but its fucking hard to grab a kids attention when you're competing against multibillion dollar companies who wanna suck you and your kid's wallets dry.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Did you choose this topic, or was it... assigned? If it was not your choice: please elaborate on the subject of the class. I would be curious if I were not disgusted.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

It is for my U.S. History class. I'm actually doing it with a group which chose the subject.

And thanks for all the comments, I know its a pretty wide subject but I think our teacher just wants to see what we come up with. He also wants us to discuss this in class, other people have been assigned different things like for/against gun control, death penalty, etc.
Dogmeatlives wrote:I think to make an effective case against any part of pop culture, you should first hone in on something more tangible. A strong argument could be made against the ideals that popular media sell to our children. You should prolly get it out of your head that pop culture can "ruin" the country. It can change it, but it sounds sorta crotchety to start a paper with "Hip Hop music is ruinin' mah country!".
I was thinking about writing something along these lines, how corporations are telling these kids what to do or what to think in order to sell a product. It's just hard to sort formulate it into words.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

The reason 'It's just hard to sort formulate it into words.', is, once again :

Because of THEM (and THEIR thought viruses).

You are a victim. So insidious, that, by extension, all your choices, works, dreams, all that is you, are victims too. Comma comma comma.

Proof of concept, defense of procrastination and/or apathy. :drunk:
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Taco, do you be any chance go to a christian school? It just sounds like a retarded "the outside world is scary and is fucking with out idyllic utopian" kind of retard question. How is "Popular Culture" ruining America? Popular culture actually defines America culture in general, as it does with any nation. It's simply a reflection on people's thougts, views and interests. How are ideals ruining a nation based on its own ideals?
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

There are people that were assigned the opposite, that pop culture is <i>not</i> ruining America. I think why there is sometimes such a negative connatation to Pop Culture is how they define it. People believe it to be stemming from mass media that serves to the lowest common denominator. But whether I believe it to be or not, I still have to argue that it is ruining America, whilst other people are going to be arguing that it doesn't.
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

In that case, blame the ethnics!
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I wouldn't say popular culture is destroying America. I would say that Reality Television is destroying America by producing legions of "fake" celebrities.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

I would argue that it is not ruining it fast enough. Software evolution and mimetic viruses - please provide a singularity with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Edit: Dear God, I am thankful that my U.S. History class was not retarded. Love, Wanker Number 5.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

SenisterDenister wrote:Fucking weaboo japan loving sons of bitches. They didn't even make him a black guy.
He IS a 'bwight' guy. Perhaps people only see what they want entirely too much. A good laugh was had from your comment, thanks. :pelvic_thrust:
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

MadBill wrote:I would argue that it is not ruining it fast enough. Software evolution and mimetic viruses - please provide a singularity with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Edit: Dear God, I am thankful that my U.S. History class was not retarded. Love, Wanker Number 5.
Do you believe that Post-Singularity is such a good thing, or just something that will eventually happen but not quick enough?
Our Host!