Josh Sawyer thinks the bar for writing is already pretty low

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Josh Sawyer thinks the bar for writing is already pretty low

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Person -> Interview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Josh Sawyer">Person: Josh Sawyer</a>

<p>Very interesting Q&A from <strong>Josh Sawyer's </strong><a href="http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer">Formspring</a> today:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>Q: You lamented about the lack of serious themes in video games earlier. Why do you think the quality of writing is dependent on establishing and developing a theme? Wouldn't an entertaining plot and characters be more important for the player's enjoyment?

A: A lot of RPGs are long, certainly longer than the average film. If there is not some thematic thread running through all of that time and much of the dialogue, the experience as a whole can fall flat. Taken as snapshots, characters and plot elements may stand on their own, but they are essentially reduced to one-offs with very little connective tissue binding them together.

We already have plenty of examples of well-written characters in video gaming. Writing consistently entertaining dialogue requires skill, but I believe the best writing in any genre combines well-written characters with an interesting exploration of theme. Video games don't do that very often, overtly or subtextually.

"Entertainment value" and "depth" are not intrinsically linked. Many people are entertained by things that have very little depth. Some of the most popular "western" RPG characters, I would argue, have very little depth and are not connected to any consistently established theme.

So, when I'm asked if I think gamers have lowered their standards for writing, I honestly have to ask, "What standards?" From what I see and hear people discussing, those standards stop at entertaining dialogue and an interesting plot. In my opinion, that is a very low bar to reach -- and I write this fully aware that I do not write the most entertaining characters or plots. I just think that with all of the good writers in the industry, we can do much better than we have.</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer">Ask Josh a question yourself</a>.</p>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

More I read his stuff the more I'm convinced he's ragging on Fallout 3, considering it didn't hit the low bar he put forth.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

I agree, i'm waiting for him to get fired...
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Re: Josh Sawyer thinks the bar for writing is already pretty

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

King of Creation wrote:Many people are entertained by things that have very little depth.
all it takes is one day on the Bethforums to understand this.
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Todd Howard: making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.
ThisPocketOfSoil
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ThisPocketOfSoil »

Oh yes, we can do much better than we have, Mister Sawyer.
Keep on keepin' on tellin' it like it is, sir.
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

I'd like to know what he's really reaching for that exists as a standard worth reaching/surpassing. aka examples plz.
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

inomel wrote:I'd like to know what he's really reaching for that exists as a standard worth reaching/surpassing. aka examples plz.
Or ditching Bethsoft and the disformed, mutated monster (not mutated in a good way) that the Fallout franchise has become, and make his own damn vidya game applying everything he's telling us. Hopefully it would be the best game ever.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

been playing Red Dead Redemption lately and somewhere around 1/3 of the way through - so far Rockstar has made me very happy about the voice acting.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Josh Sawyer walks into a bar, says its pretty low for writing on. The barman hands him a four foot pencil and a beer. "You son of a bitch!"
:chew:
Our Host!