Them Crooked Vultures

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Them Crooked Vultures

Post by Kickstand27 »

Right,
So i have decided to set up in this forum. As one of my first acts of "i am here" i would like to call to eveyones attention the Band "them Crooked Vultures", consisting of one Joshua Homme (QOTSA, Desert Sessions, Kyuss), David Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and Sir John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin).
Im sure a lot of you have heard (or at least heard of) this band. So this os for those of you that have not. Do yourself a favor and check them out.. Reptiles is a good choice to youtube up for a starting place.

cheers
typos are bound to happen. fuck it
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Don't like it.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:Don't like it.
Sorry to hear that.
shame really, one of the few bands that doesnt sound like a rehash of 1984 right now.

to each their own
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

link?
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Just saw them on Austin City Limits actually... And they do indeed rock.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Not bad...not great. another record label formed supergroup if i recall correctly.
...signatures? WTF?
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

Caleb wrote:Not bad...not great. another record label formed supergroup if i recall correctly.
That's all you can really expect from supergroups anyway...formed by the labels as a surefire way to make money.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Yeah...watched a documentary on something in a class but it walked through the formula and choices they made regarding velvet revolver. something like find one old, famous guitarist, one known drummer, one kind of mellow bass player and an androgynous singer that chicks will love, put them together, find some alright songs, shake it up, and put it on the radio.
...signatures? WTF?
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Sir Zeppelin rocks the balls off the other guys in the band. :freakout:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Amen, brother.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Kyuss was "Ambient Doom".

At least some of the time.

I just like that term.

a lot
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

gobbleykins wrote:
Caleb wrote:Not bad...not great. another record label formed supergroup if i recall correctly.
That's all you can really expect from supergroups anyway...formed by the labels as a surefire way to make money.
Actually.....

If you look into it., Johs Homme is almost like Mike Patton in his work ethic.... he is constantly doing projects with other people. Look up Desert Sessions sometime.

Dave Grohl and Josh played together in Queens of the Stone age during the Songs for the Deaf period. they wanted to do another project together and didnt know who to put up for bass. Dave had recently talked to John Paul Jones and on a whim ased him to join and he said "why not?"

supergroup, sure.. but to think that a band cant form of their own volition?
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure TCV isn't some horrible corporate machination.

That said, I have a huge boner for the band and I can't wait for their next album. They should make Alain Johannes (the bald fat guy that plays with them live) a full-time band member, 'cause that guy is pretty good too.

fun fact: Paul Mccartney wanted to be in the band, but they already had JPJ

~i'm gay for josh homme~
Nameless_One
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Nameless_One »

Superhaze wrote:Sir Zeppelin rocks the balls off the other guys in the band. :freakout:
normally
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

Cthulhugoat wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure TCV isn't some horrible corporate machination.

That said, I have a huge boner for the band and I can't wait for their next album. They should make Alain Johannes (the bald fat guy that plays with them live) a full-time band member, 'cause that guy is pretty good too.
Feck ya he is.. that guy has been backing up quite a few people for years..
poor guy lost his wife Natasha not long ago... :(

and of course JPJ is a legend..
he has some crazy toys as well.. one of them is best described as a mix between a slide-bass and a minigun.
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

Kickstand27 wrote:...
Conceded, I recognize Josh Homme is a man among men in modern music, he is everywhere, so is Dave Grohl to be sure.

But do you think they would have gotten signed by a major label, media coverage, album production, etc., unless the record suits said, "wow, Led Zeppelin mixed with modern hero superstars? *comes in his pants*," by which I basically mean that they were ensured to make money out of this venture (not that it's a neat matchup, although it is a neat matchup). Record labels are out to make money, bottom line.

Sure, they formed out of their own volition, but their project wouldn't have evolved from more than that if their label thought they wouldn't make any money.

And you know, I don't let that get in the way of liking the music. If I hear New Fang on the radio, I can groove to it. I listened to some of their other songs and didn't really like them, so I didn't buy their album. I was simply remarking that if you look at the history of supergroups, they're often put together by labels to make piles of cash (Cream, CSN, Velvet Revolver).
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

It's not tough to get a record deal nowadays.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

gobbleykins wrote:
Kickstand27 wrote:...
Conceded, I recognize Josh Homme is a man among men in modern music, he is everywhere, so is Dave Grohl to be sure.

But do you think they would have gotten signed by a major label, media coverage, album production, etc., unless the record suits said, "wow, Led Zeppelin mixed with modern hero superstars? *comes in his pants*," by which I basically mean that they were ensured to make money out of this venture (not that it's a neat matchup, although it is a neat matchup). Record labels are out to make money, bottom line.

Sure, they formed out of their own volition, but their project wouldn't have evolved from more than that if their label thought they wouldn't make any money.

And you know, I don't let that get in the way of liking the music. If I hear New Fang on the radio, I can groove to it. I listened to some of their other songs and didn't really like them, so I didn't buy their album. I was simply remarking that if you look at the history of supergroups, they're often put together by labels to make piles of cash (Cream, CSN, Velvet Revolver).
well no one argues that record companies are trying to make money, or that musicians are for that matter.. thats what puts them in the category of pro.. and of course they used a company that has good distribution and promotions.

If sony wouldnt have picked them up, one of the other two of the big three would have. and if that wouldnt have happneed, im sure they would have just went to Rancho De La Luna and recorded there and put out the album a la Desert Sessions.. from my point of view, it wasnt them saying 'hey record company, please take us to the ball" but the other way around.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Speaking of Patton...definitely fucking excited for the new peeping tom cd...next year i think?
...signatures? WTF?
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

Caleb wrote:Speaking of Patton...definitely fucking excited for the new peeping tom cd...next year i think?
oh really?
i didnt know he was putting otu another one.. thats awesome
Our Host!