Fallout meets Morrowind

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Xaphod wrote:NWN never appealed to me for the same reason that Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 didn't.. I really dislike D&D - the system, the setting, everything. While Morrowind's setting is similar it's much more similar to LOTR in that there's a defined history and solidly written backstory behind everything, something that only Planescape:Torment seems to have in the D&D system.
That's because the Planescape: Torment setting is imaginative instead of cliché as shit. Same with Elder Scrolls.

Games that require the players build upon them have always done poorly. Plan on NWN to drop into obscurity in a couple of years. V:TM didn't last long, as did UA and others.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

No backstory in the Forgotten Realms? Maybe not in NWN, but don't tell me that the Forgotten Realms isn't a richly developed setting. The hundreds of novels alone create lots of great history, not to mention the countless adventure module, campaign setting boxed sets, and endless articles in various magazines. I agree that NWN was overhyped; I was disappointed by the game, myself, but PnP D&D goes far beyond anything ever seen in a D&D CRPG.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Let me clarify this a bit:

Forgotten Realms is a rich setting. From Chult to Thay, etc.

Every Inbred Engine and BioWhat? game have been in less than imaginative settngs, save for *ONE*. Sure, they have a little bit of unusual settings, but the overall setting of each are what you'd expect from a dumb fanboy. To one who has actually played in the setting quite a deal (and I mean, *extensively*, and at cons meeting Bob and others), IWD, BG, BG2 - all are boring as hell. They could have gone for places that weren't already the typical "you're in an Arthurian/Middle-Earth town...you go into some caves..." bullshit that is cliché beyond belief and left for newbies.

The only "life" and backdrop in the games is present if you want to right-click over books in a library.
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Crow of Ill Omen »

Hasn't this strayed a little from the question of which game engine to use for a Fallout mod? The richness of the orginal games' setting is specifically going to be made irrelevant by the mod to Fallout.

Having seen Xaphod's site, I'm hoping him and his team follow through and deliver. It looks great and the Morrowind engine is fine by me (as long as I can use some area transitions instead of walking across the entire wastelands in FPP ...)
Sqawk
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

That reminds me... It's neat to find all these stories in books in games...

But..

It's VERY annoying to read texts - specially since often they'll use some funky papyrus looking background to read from. So the game should never rely on books to set atmosphere and history because it's just exhausting to read on the screen. I know we do it for dialogs, but dialogs aren't as optional... (though if you've played the game a lot you can often skim through them :)).

If you want history, stick it in the manual, not the game. It'll add some value to those who bought the game too.. Heck, make a whole damn book to explain the setting in detail. How's that for added value when buying a game?
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I like the fact that I can find history of the world in the game.

I enjoy finding holotapes and reading them in the Pipboy, same goes for all the books you find in Arcanum and other games.

I think they add to the setting.
You don't have to read them to complete the game, theyre just background.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Yeah, but when the only way a game can come up with to transmit some backstory is by making you read a bunch of books, that ain't good. The tapes in Fallout were well done because there weren't too many of them, they were mostly relevant to the plot, and they were always pretty interesting. Except for the FEV experiment tapes in the Glow, that is. I mean, do they really need three or four three page tapes to tell us that there were FEV experiments at West Tek?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Spazmo wrote:Yeah, but when the only way a game can come up with to transmit some backstory is by making you read a bunch of books, that ain't good. The tapes in Fallout were well done because there weren't too many of them, they were mostly relevant to the plot, and they were always pretty interesting. Except for the FEV experiment tapes in the Glow, that is. I mean, do they really need three or four three page tapes to tell us that there were FEV experiments at West Tek?

So, youre saying "background references" (books, holotapes and whatever) are ok as long as theyre good, and are done in the right quantity and in the right plot connection?

I agree. :)

And I didn't say they need to be the only background.
I think they should add a little, but not too much.
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

And System Shock and it's sequel do the delivery of history and plot elements, in addition to providing data relevant to gameplay (ie locations, keycodes, etc) through one simple game mechanic. Audio logs.

Audio logs in SS1 and 2 are a truly beautiful thing. Here's why and what they provide.

Most important point first. I am fairly patient as far as gamers go, and I don't want to read through pages of text. Reading off a screen will never compete against curling up with a good book, but I digress. The fact that you continue playing while listening to the audio of SS means that you are always playing the game. It beats the shit out of cutscenes, it absolutely fucking buries the Deus Ex "jump to third person, watch inane drivel with little interactivity, return to first person" method, and I can't think of a metaphor to describe how much better audio is as opposed to reading chunks of written text.

Additionally, it provides voice acting, and allows the player to visualise the situations and the characters without inflicting any artist's particular vision. It works with the player's imagination the same way PnP RPing does. It also provides dramatic situations without the dilution of drama due to engine limitations, hectic artist schedules, etc.

In a similar vein it give a lot of character to NPCs in a game without them. The dead characters of SS2 have a lot of personality, by giving a brief window to a character's persona, or fragment(s) of, and leaving it once again for the imagination to play with. Additionally, there is never a problem with repetitive VO, unless the player is choosing to play a log over and over.

However, having audio presented in such a manner requires a series of plot devices that are not always relevant to the game setting. In such cases, it's usually good to deliver any data in small chunks, preferably progressively and episodic. Leave a page of a book with a cliffhanger of sorts at the end, and the player wants to find the next part. Leave the whole book, and they'll more than likely refuse to read 20 pages, because it detracts from time that could be better spent playing the game. Also, provide rewards. Back story is kind of pointless if it's nothing more. If the back story mentions some kind of secret location, briefly touches on the purpose of an artifact the player has been carrying around for days hoping it becomes useful somehow, then the player feels compelled to read, and is rewarded for doing so, and that's the business we're in here. Make the player want to do something, and reward them.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Xaphod
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Xaphod »

We intend to use audio for quite a few things, but only where it's relevant.. for example we intend for the player to use radio communications from time to time.

The holotapes in Fallout were all text, and for the sake of continuity we'll probably keep it that way.. plus having all the text being read out by someone would expand the mod to at least a CD size.. and people have to download this thing.

There'll also be magazines and books which will be, well, books.

Books and tapes might be important to read, again, like they were in Fallout, but a lot of the time it will be background information. there's some good points made here so we'll take them into account I'm sure.
Red

Post by Red »

Doesn't the game support some kind of compressed audio?
Xaphod
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Xaphod »

yep. mp3's.. but it'd still drastically increase the download time.

it's something we might look into including, but I'm sure you'll understand that we can't really prioritise it right now.
Kain
SDF!
SDF!
Location: Where am I ? Who are you ? Why is there sand everywhere ?

Post by Kain »

I'd have one small question...i the Level Up sistem going to be like the one in Morrowind:The Elder Scrolls or like the one in Fallout and by saying that I am refering to Skills,the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. table,Perks,Traits and stuff like that.It would be great to adapt this sistem to Morrowind but...I bet it's quite difficult.
Life's a BITCH but I'm worse!!!
Xaphod
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Xaphod »

We have an alpha version of a "pip boy" working, which basically converts all the morrowind skills into Fallout skills.

Most of the SPECIAL system will be implimented.. though we're using "SPECIALS" to add a "speed" stat, which governs your maximum speed - something Fallout's turn-based system didn't need. Speed will be added because we don't really think agilty should really count for your speed.

Levelling up will be done by gaining experience, like in Fallout. Perks should also be implimented when we're done.

It's a lot of scripting (morrowind coding), but it's not as hard as some other things we have to do, like guns. Our scripting team has been mostly working on them because they're a particular thing that isn't meant to be possible in Morrowind. Rest assured that the gun scripting is around 90% done now though.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Back when this was a good thing! :dance: :drunk:
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

You win this...

cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

deleted
Last edited by cazsim83 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

How so? I think it was quite an impressive dig. So much so that I was awarded a picture of an even more impressive such.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

It isnt impressive to dig one's grave.
Much less to dig an old DEAD post from the ground.
you SICK SICK man.... btw..
im guessing this project turned out to be fail.....
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Psychoul wrote:im guessing this project turned out to be fail.....

Username's life? :p :drunk:
does this work
Our Host!