Bethesda drops appeal, Fallout MMO moves ahead!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Bethesda drops appeal, Fallout MMO moves ahead!

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Company -> Update ]</strong> - News related to <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php ... ry=92">Top Story: Bethesda drops appeal against Interplay!</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Bethesda v. Interplay">Company: Bethesda v. Interplay</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Project V13">Game: Project V13</a>

<p><a href="../../forums/viewtopic.php?t=23966">UPDATE: Lawsuit not over yet.</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>In an unprecedented move, Bethesda has dropped their appeal against Interplay, thereby granting victory to the struggling developer. This means that Interplay can move full-steam ahead with their Fallout MMO codenamed "Project V13," according to Interplay investor Frymuchan. Here is what Frymuchan had to say:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>Bethesda dropped their appeal of the lawsuit with Interplay and a secret deal was struck (maybe they will release the terms of the deal soon, probably so). Anyways, this is awesome news for Interplay stock. The appeal by Bethesda was dropped yesterday. I'm assuming part of the deal was that Interplay drop their countersuit against Bethesda.</em></p>
<p><em>At any rate, this will likely mean that V13 will be moving full steam ahead, terms of the new deal not yet known but the fact that the game will be made is nothing but good news for Interplay.</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>The following is the text from the drop of the appeal from Bethesda's law firm Steptoe and Johnson:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>The undersigned hereby moves that the above appeal be dismissed upon such terms as have been agreed to by the parties. FRAP 42(b). Undersigned counsel represents to the Court that all appellate counsel of record consent to this dismissal.

Respectfully submitted,

/s/ Jennifer Quinn-Barabanov
Howard H. Stahl
Jennifer Quinn-Barabanov</em></p>
<p><em>STEPTOE & JOHNSON LLP</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>And the order of dismissal from the court:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>This Court's order dismissing this appeal pursuant to Rule 42(b) of the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure takes effect today. This constitutes the formal mandate of this Court issued pursuant to Rule 41(a) of the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure.

/s/Patricia S. Connor, Clerk</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Hopefully Interplay releases some new Fallout MMO information soon. Stay tuned to DAC for updates.</p>
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

holy shit. didn't see that coming, i really thought a coup d'état was in full swing. wonder if they just decided the court costs aren't worth it since Interplay's likely to fuck up on their own anyway.
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Todd Howard: making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Here's hoping for Interplay to not fuck this up then.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

So, Herve dodges another bullet and Interplay is free to continue developing their non-game. How does this change anything?
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

VasikkA wrote:So, Herve dodges another bullet and Interplay is free to continue developing their non-game. How does this change anything?
In a world of massive MMOs, can Caen have any credibility, psudo or otherwise, should Interply fail again? This is oblivion or swim time.
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

We actually don't know if FOOL moves ahead. That's all Frymuchan's speculation. It's possible that the settlement involves Interplay giving up the rights to FOOL.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: Bethesda drops appeal, Fallout MMO moves ahead!

Post by King of Creation »

King of Creation wrote: This means that Interplay can move full-steam ahead with their Fallout MMO codenamed "Project V13," according to Interplay investor Frymuchan.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

VasikkA wrote:So, Herve dodges another bullet and Interplay is free to continue developing their non-game. How does this change anything?
It changes everything. We now have final and irrevocable proof that Herve has made a pact with the devil himself for some sort of unearthly power and/or luck. That or he brought some serious kneepads to BethSoft HQ.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Fallout MMO will suck balls, we all know it.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Interplay just filed a current report on this. It makes no mention of the lawsuit being dropped, only of Bethesda dropping an appeal to the preliminary injunction.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Re: Bethesda drops appeal, Fallout MMO moves ahead!

Post by Ausir »

King of Creation wrote:
King of Creation wrote: This means that Interplay can move full-steam ahead with their Fallout MMO codenamed "Project V13," according to Interplay investor Frymuchan.
You did start with Fry's statement, though, and put "Fallout MMO moves ahead!" in the title. Frymuchan has been wrong before on legal issues, so I would take it with a grain of salt if I were you.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

i'd take it with a grain of "who the fuck gives a fuck it's a goddamn mmo and herve caen is a failtard anyway" personally.
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Todd Howard: making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Bethesda and Herve truly deserve each other.
I hope this shit goes on forever, because it's infinitely more entertaining than a Fallout game that either of these two numbnuts could create.

I'd rather they piss away resources playing legal grab-ass with each other than focusing their dimwitted attention on a new Fallout game.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
The-Barron
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by The-Barron »

The lawsuit is not over. It continues and says it in plain english in the sec document.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/ ... 042110.htm

"" Interplay will continue to defend its rights and to pursue its Counter-Claims against Bethesda, for among other things, Breach of Contract and Declaratory Judgment and an award of damages, attorney fees and other relief.""

All this means is that the appeal of Interplays winning of the court case is dropped. Thus Bethesda has agreed that Interplay won round 1 and is no longer going to dispute it (that being that Interplay has to stop Immediately selling fallout).

The court has decided that for the time being Interplay can continue to sell it untill it goes to court and the case is resolved. See above statement in sec doc for confirmation.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Frymuchan needs to pay closer attention.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

So, errr, no correction? This is this the top story despite sites like Gamasutra and Kotaku having corrected it by now.
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Goddammit KoC! How's None supposed to steal it if you don't update it!?!?!?!? Goddamn you!
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

bleep ** bloop ** brank
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Brother None wrote:So, errr, no correction? This is this the top story despite sites like Gamasutra and Kotaku having corrected it by now.
In Soviet Russia, news corrects YOU. :revolution:
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Yonmanc wrote:Goddammit KoC! How's None supposed to steal it if you don't update it!?!?!?!? Goddamn you!
Exactly. I have no idea what news I'm supposed to steal now. IT'S SO CONFUSING.
Our Host!