Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Updated: Fallout: New Vegas viral marketing campaign? NOPE View next topic
View previous topic
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Update ] - More info on Game: Fallout: New Vegas

NOT FOR FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS AS ORIGINALLY SPECULATED: Check out the latest updates towards the bottom of the post.

Sorry for the lack of updates the past few days...I moved house and still have no internet. I have logged on to to flood of emails, however, and Mr. Anonymouse, Captain Vegas, and Roger B were all kind enough to point out some potential Fallout: New Vegas viral marketing. Here's the story from IGN:

April 5, 2010 - A bunch of gaming outlets were sent USB drives with no return address today. The only information on the drive appears to be a MP3 file with a cryptic audio message and a text document. Little help?

When viewing the audio file in Microsoft Word, these lines of code are revealed.

00000000 00000210 00000825 000000000037474B 00000000 0016FDA0 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000TCON

A person on the audio file reads out the letters below:

MOD ZZZ JNQRYD3FRP

The separate word document also only has these six words posted.

Cryptography

Isotope

Philanthropy

Hydrogen

Ember

Rebirth

The postage stamp says it came from Maryland. Could this be from Bethesda as a tease for Fallout: New Vegas?

Update: Ok, wow, monster updates here. Joystiq was able to put together a lot of the clues.

The code MOD ZZZ JNQRYD3FRP is deciphered into the website http://www.gknova6.com/.

The recorded message found on the website can be deciphered using the Baconian Cipher into APRIL WEEK TWO. You can also mess around with the TV dial to see nuclear imagery,

So it looks like something is coming next week.

So - long story short: Go to this website the second week of April to see if any Fallout: New Vegas things happen. Perhaps we will get a better trailer rather than just the teaser? Or perhaps this has nothing to do with Fallout: New Vegas at all.

Click here to download the audio file and the word file that were on the flash drive to see if you can find anything new.

UPDATE: The rumors flying around the internet have 3 games in the running for this ARG now: Call of Duty, Fallout: New Vegas, and Singularity. Check out what MovieViral user Dane has to say about the Singularity possibilities:

It’s possible, as he suggests, that this is for the upcoming game Singularity. A quick Wikipedia read on the game says it’s based around the Cold War and involves a nuclear incident occurring on an isolated island, so the connection to John Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis makes sense. And get this, it’s being published by Activision. If you read his comments, he also suggests the red lights on the TV read R – A – I – S, which would be another reference to the game, but I can’t really confirm that. So, I’ll put it at 1-2-1 in favor of Call of Duty, but this definitely tightens up the race. The only real beef I have with this newest guess is the fact it was sent to Call of Duty fans. So, I guess we’ll have to wait and see what this site is really about.

You can also view a Youtube video of the viral website below:

UPDATE 2: Thanks to a tip from DAC forum member stillalive, we can now officially count out Fallout: New Vegas from the running. Here's the scoop:

You can now count Fallout: New Vegas out. On the official Bethesda website forum, an administrator Bethesda’s community manager posted the following message: “Whatever this is seems cool, but it doesn’t relate to our games.” So, Fallout is out of the race, and that leaves either Singularity or Call of Duty. We’ll take the latter by a 2-1 count in favor of Call of Duty. Time will once again be the decider.
http://www.movieviral.com/2010/04/05/gknova6-viral-site-for-unknown-game/

Oh well. It would have been an interesting turn of events from the complete lack of excitement, or anything at all, in the Fallout: New Vegas PR department.

Kashluk
Grand MF
Grand MF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool stuff.

I love how much time, money and effort is spent on marketing instead of actual game developement.
TheBearPaw
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kashluk wrote:

I love how much time, money and effort is spent on marketing instead of actual game developement.

lol
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Google Analytics ID is the same as for some Activision websites, so it's not FNV. Still pretty cool.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kashluk wrote:

QFE
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

the way some of you talk, you should have your own game studios making superawesome games for superawesome gamers like yourselves
djbausch
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

has anybody tried to see if the blinking red light is morse code?
stillalive
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

UPDATE #2: You can now count Fallout: New Vegas out. On the official Bethesda website forum, an administrator Bethesda’s community manager posted the following message: “Whatever this is seems cool, but it doesn’t relate to our games.” So, Fallout is out of the race, and that leaves either Singularity or Call of Duty. We’ll take the latter by a 2-1 count in favor of Call of Duty. Time will once again be the decider.
http://www.movieviral.com/2010/04/05/gknova6-viral-site-for-unknown-game/
Kashluk
Grand MF
Grand MF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kickstand27 wrote:
the way some of you talk, you should have your own game studios making superawesome games for superawesome gamers like yourselves

Yeah, that's true. To comment on something requires to be part of it, just like anyone commenting on football must be a professional NFL player.
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.news.com.au/technology/lads-mag-editor-blows-whistle-on-video-games/story-e6frfro0-1225850507467

Well i never.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Updated the news post again.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good article, ekka.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kashluk wrote:
Kickstand27 wrote:

Yeah, that's true. To comment on something requires to be part of it, just like anyone commenting on football must be a professional NFL player.

you know what i mean..
take me with a grain of salt here, but you all do a lot of bitching. no one even knows which game this is for or what that gameplay will be like, but somehow the marketing for it has already surpassed the gameplay.....

dunno about you but it comes off like being an armchair quarterback to me.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Paper Mario
Kashluk
Grand MF
Grand MF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kickstand27 wrote:
you know what i mean..
take me with a grain of salt here, but you all do a lot of bitching. no one even knows which game this is for or what that gameplay will be like, but somehow the marketing for it has already surpassed the gameplay.....

And my point was that I'm not that much of a 'viral marketing' fan. Not to mention that none of these gimmicks have come cheap. There's got to be some serious brainstorming, dozens of meetings, creative assemblies etc. behind it. To me, it would just seem smarter to make the product that X much better than hype it even more that same X amount.
Yonmanc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kashluk wrote:
Kickstand27 wrote:
you know what i mean..

And my point was that I'm not that much of a 'viral marketing' fan. Not to mention that none of these gimmicks have come cheap. There's got to be some serious brainstorming, dozens of meetings, creative assemblies etc. behind it. To me, it would just seem smarter to make the product that X much better than hype it even more that same X amount.

Not to mention this kind of thing has been before and it never works.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

be part of the apple and starbucks community guys and make a flashmob come on
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kashluk wrote:
Kickstand27 wrote:
you know what i mean..

i reckon that to an extent youre right, at least on the need of the product being better than the hype. I think perhaps i am just not as cynical or something..
I mean, you have to market your product.. any ad campaign is gonna need creative and administrative meetings to make it happen. though this one isnt costing anything more than postage and a jump drive to actually market.. this forum (and of course others)is doing that job right now.. i also think it makes the potential consumer feel clever if they are able to figure out parts of the riddle, which is pretty clever in and of its self.

i may be way off base.. it could be a seaming pike of crap, this game (whatever it is),,, but i dont know that, so i cant really say they should have spent less on marketing and more on the product. :shrug:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kickstand27 wrote:
Kashluk wrote:
Kickstand27 wrote:
you know what i mean..

i reckon that to an extent youre right, at least on the need of the product being better than the hype. I think perhaps i am just not as cynical or something..
I mean, you have to market your product.. any ad campaign is gonna need creative and administrative meetings to make it happen. though this one isnt costing anything more than postage and a jump drive to actually market.. this forum (and of course others)is doing that job right now.. i also think it makes the potential consumer feel clever if they are able to figure out parts of the riddle, which is pretty clever in and of its self.

i may be way off base.. it could be a seaming pike of crap, this game (whatever it is),,, but i dont know that, so i cant really say they should have spent less on marketing and more on the product. :shrug:
Off the top of your head. name 3 games released in the past 2 years that are worth playing. Thought so.

Yes, I am cynical, yes I am aware that there are good new games out there, but quite frankly, most of the shit that is released even by "reputable" companies just isn't worth the time.

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic