Duck and Cover Forum Index


Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 Support DAC!
 Sightseeing in Fallout: New Vegas View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator


Joined: 20 Dec 2003
Posts: 5103

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Preview ] - More info on Game: Fallout: New Vegas

Games Radar take us through a quick tour of some of the landmark locations that have been revealed from Fallout: New Vegas. Check it out:

Dinky the Dinosaur


If Dinky reminds you of The Wizard – a.k.a. the thinly veiled 90-minute Supre Mario Bros. 3 ad starring Fred Savage – then you probably grew up in the ‘80s, too. But yes, to answer your question: you can climb up into its mouth!


Above: Best. Sniper. Position. Ever.

Black Mountain Radio Tower

At the center of the New Vegas desert sprawl is Black Mountain, aptly named for its scorched ground. It was hit more directly by a nuclear blast than other areas (such as The Strip), so it’s populated almost exclusively by the Geiger Counter-lovin’ Super Mutants.

The Strip

You might not see a beam of light shooting skyward from the tip of a pyramid, but the main hub of New Vegas will still be hard to miss from wherever you are.

Helios One

Head up to the top of this innocent-looking solar-power plant to reactivate Archimedes II, a secret laser weapon you can use to vaporize the mutated inhabitants standing in your way below.


Spotted @ No Mutants Allowed

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Dr.Xen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller


Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 117
Location: Shenzhen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

2382 wrote:


At the center of the New Vegas desert sprawl is Black Mountain, aptly named for its scorched ground. It was hit more directly by a nuclear blast than other areas (such as The Strip), so itís populated almost exclusively by the Geiger Counter-loviní Super Mutants.





I really doubt if it had been hit "directly" or just magazine make up joker
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteICQ Number
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 2224
Location: Manchester, UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dr.Xen wrote:
2382 wrote:


At the center of the New Vegas desert sprawl is Black Mountain, aptly named for its scorched ground. It was hit more directly by a nuclear blast than other areas (such as The Strip), so itís populated almost exclusively by the Geiger Counter-loviní Super Mutants.





I really doubt if it had been hit "directly" or just magazine make up joker


No, it probably was. I'm sure, before writing the story, Bethesda sent Obsidian a list of things they wanted in the game. that has Bethsoft story telling all over it.

Remember megaton? An unexploded nuclear bomb, resting in the crater caused by aeroplane crashes, though the town was built from areoplanes that didn't crash there. icon_confused2
View user's profileSend private message
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member


Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Posts: 4186
Location: Magical Island

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why would they nuke a random mountain in the Nevada desert?
View user's profileSend private message
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 2224
Location: Manchester, UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jetbaby wrote:
Why would they nuke a random mountain in the Nevada desert?


Why would BoS and Enclave fight each other despite having the same goal?

SCIENCE!!!!
View user's profileSend private message
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member


Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Posts: 4186
Location: Magical Island

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yonmanc wrote:
jetbaby wrote:
Why would they nuke a random mountain in the Nevada desert?


Why would BoS and Enclave fight each other despite having the same goal?

SCIENCE!!!!


Did you play a different game than the rest of us? Their goals were in no way, shape, or form related.
View user's profileSend private message
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 2224
Location: Manchester, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jetbaby wrote:
Yonmanc wrote:
jetbaby wrote:
Why would they nuke a random mountain in the Nevada desert?


Why would BoS and Enclave fight each other despite having the same goal?

SCIENCE!!!!


Did you play a different game than the rest of us? Their goals were in no way, shape, or form related.


They both wanted to kill all mutants, they both wanted to get water around the wastes.
View user's profileSend private message
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 321
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, while everyone is pointing out inconsistencies, I'd like to point out my own that's been hiding in my mind for a while.

Why would anyone re-settle Vegas? It's in the middle of a desert (hostile environment, no natural water and scarce food sources).

I haven't posted this question until now because well then you ask, why would anyone populate most of post-nuclear Cali anyway, seeing as it's one big desert wasteland. So feel free to disregard/poke holes/criticize/imply my homosexuality, etc.
View user's profileSend private message
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah


Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 5327

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's because Bethesda wants a flashy town people will grapple onto to sell another shitty product.

Also, just by posting on this board your homosexuality is implicit.
View user's profileSend private message
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 2224
Location: Manchester, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

gobbleykins wrote:
Ok, while everyone is pointing out inconsistencies, I'd like to point out my own that's been hiding in my mind for a while.

Why would anyone re-settle Vegas? It's in the middle of a desert (hostile environment, no natural water and scarce food sources).

I haven't posted this question until now because well then you ask, why would anyone populate most of post-nuclear Cali anyway, seeing as it's one big desert wasteland. So feel free to disregard/poke holes/criticize/imply my homosexuality, etc.


Well, as for settling in Cali, what other choice did they have? After leaving the Vaults, they just took the resources and space closest to them, it's not like anything outside of Cali is lush and green. Ad for Vegas? Well, it was referenced in Fallout 1, it's where Tycho is from. I mean, why would anyone live there now? Obviously now they have to have water pumped into Vegas from elsewhere (I assume, being from across the pond my knowledge of American cities isn't too sharp, but I'm sure there's no river running through Vegas). If anything, if you're trapped in post-nuclear Nevada, Vegs would probably be the best place to settle. The first settlers can obviously loot wahtever food and water is left in the stores, whilst at the same time tapping into an underground water supply.

I always took their choice of populating Cali as simply having no choice at all. To travel out of Cali would require a large amount of food and water, and when those resources are already scarce...

And as I just mentioned, where else are they gonna go that isn't an empty desert?
View user's profileSend private message
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator


Joined: 20 Dec 2003
Posts: 5103

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They also have the luxury of having, from what we're told, relatively unharmed buildings and infrastructure...not to mention readily available power from Helios One and the Hoover Dam.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna


Joined: 15 Jun 2002
Posts: 8711

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yonmanc wrote:
jetbaby wrote:
Yonmanc wrote:
jetbaby wrote:
Why would they nuke a random mountain in the Nevada desert?


Why would BoS and Enclave fight each other despite having the same goal?

SCIENCE!!!!


Did you play a different game than the rest of us? Their goals were in no way, shape, or form related.


They both wanted to kill all mutants, they both wanted to get water around the wastes.

No.
View user's profileSend private message
Kashluk
Grand MF
Grand MF


Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 7498

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

VasikkA wrote:
Yonmanc wrote:
jetbaby wrote:
Yonmanc wrote:
jetbaby wrote:
Why would they nuke a random mountain in the Nevada desert?


Why would BoS and Enclave fight each other despite having the same goal?

SCIENCE!!!!


Did you play a different game than the rest of us? Their goals were in no way, shape, or form related.


They both wanted to kill all mutants, they both wanted to get water around the wastes.

No.


No, indeed.
View user's profileSend private message
Dr.Xen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller


Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 117
Location: Shenzhen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think Enclave need to collect techs.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteICQ Number
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 2224
Location: Manchester, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BoS were at war with mutants. Every ghoul seemed to complain the BoS were trying to kill them. President Eden wants the hero to put put some chemical in he water that will kill anyone with some form of mutation. Both groups wish to take control of the purifier. Both want the water, both want mutants dead. There may have been other things going on, but I only played it to the end once.
View user's profileSend private message
Dr.Xen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller


Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 117
Location: Shenzhen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm that's only for Capital BoS
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteICQ Number
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 2224
Location: Manchester, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dr.Xen wrote:
Hmmm that's only for Capital BoS


Yeah, I'm only talking about Fallout 3.
View user's profileSend private message
Kashluk
Grand MF
Grand MF


Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 7498

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yonmanc wrote:
Dr.Xen wrote:
Hmmm that's only for Capital BoS


Yeah, I'm only talking about Fallout 3.


Ach, well then it doesn't have to make sense.
View user's profileSend private message
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member


Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Posts: 4186
Location: Magical Island

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yonmanc wrote:
Dr.Xen wrote:
Hmmm that's only for Capital BoS


Yeah, I'm only talking about Fallout 3.


Then why are you talking?
View user's profileSend private message
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 2224
Location: Manchester, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jetbaby wrote:
Yonmanc wrote:
Dr.Xen wrote:
Hmmm that's only for Capital BoS


Yeah, I'm only talking about Fallout 3.


Then why are you talking?


Why am I talking? Just waiting until your mother wakes up for round 5 icon_drunk
View user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


Jump to:  



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group