Josh Sawyer on NPC dialogue

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Josh Sawyer on NPC dialogue

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Person -> Interview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/J. E. Sawyer">Person: J. E. Sawyer</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout: New Vegas">Game: Fallout: New Vegas</a>

<p><em><strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong></em> lead <strong>Josh Sawyer</strong> has answered another question via <a href="http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/473906363">his Formspring page</a>. This one has to do with NPC dialogue. Check it out:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>Q: Do you have any particular approaches to NPC dialogue/chatter to help with immersivity and without them coming off as useless bots, taking up space, and never adding much lore or relevant information?

A: I am a believer in what Obsidian calls "barkstrings". Generic, rank-and-file characters in the world typically do not have full dialogue trees. Instead, they have a large list of reactive one-off lines that they will say either in passing or when you interact with them. As long as barkstrings react to things in a meaningful fashion, it's usually more satisfying than drilling generic characters for generic information through a dialogue tree.

Background characters should also be engaged in meaningful action. A world where people endlessly, randomly mill about feels like a world without purpose. Communities should have a focus and characters within communities should have roles that they fill.</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>You can go ask Sawyer anything you want <a href="http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer">over here</a>.</p>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The more he answers these questions, the more it seems like he's saying "Fallout 3 got it wrong."
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Dialogue trees are bad, mmm'kay?
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

ibid. wrote: Do you think developers should ignore the demands of some hardcore fans to keep obsolete or inferior features in the sequel just because it was in the original?

I think developers should try to make a good game. While this means they do have to understand the expectations established by previous titles, they have to be willing to re-evaluate mechanics if they've demonstrably failed or caused problems in the past. I think its most important that they keep the spirit of a franchise/series/world alive. If they can do that while improving a mechanic, they should go for it. If changing mechanics radically alters the feeling of the setting and series, the cost has to be weighed very carefully.
Butthurt fallout 3 fan talking about first person POV.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Not really, no
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

what exactly is obsolete or inferior? turn-based? isometric? good writing? choices and consequences? S.P.E.C.I.A.L.? skills affecting anything meaningful? i didn't realize those things could be objectively determined. thank you next-gen gamer, for your fine intellectual excellence.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

:speech skill:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

hitler must have maxed out his charisma attribute

Our Host!