Civ V

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

edit: Seems it can attack if not all of its MP is used up. Was attacking from a hilly side and never noticed this. :dance:

My appologies for not testing this enough. The Civilopedia really isn't easy to browse through.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Thanks for the review. I will not be playing Civ V, exactly as I expected. IV was a massive let down and hey, who gives a shit if you have III to play anyway?

I agree with Superhaze on the chariots - if you recall they were also quite useless at times in III because they couldn't cross mountains and whatnot. A lot depended on the map.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:hey, who gives a shit if you have III to play anyway?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

III was awful in comparison to II you mangy philistines

:drunk:
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Who needs Civ on the computer. I only play the boardgame. :hipster:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Blargh wrote:III was awful in comparison to II you mangy philistines

I never played Civ 2 you elitist douche.

Is it just me, or is the AI in 3 also pretty terrible? It seems to plop down cities randomly and never goes to war with anyone but me, and only when I demand they get their units off my lawn. The only exception was the Zulu one time when I was hemming them in and they wanted some lebenstraum, but Shaka was always a bit of a dick.
- the Vault Dweller
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Retlaw83 wrote:

Well what the fuck are you waiting for?

Blargh hit the nail on the head.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Retlaw83 wrote:

Is it just me, or is the AI in 3 also pretty terrible? It seems to plop down cities randomly and never goes to war with anyone but me, and only when I demand they get their units off my lawn. The only exception was the Zulu one time when I was hemming them in and they wanted some lebenstraum, but Shaka was always a bit of a dick.
If you go to the Civfanatics forum there is a long thread that explains how the AI works. In a way, I don't recommend reading it because it makes you unintentionally exploit it when you know it's going to act in a certain way. However, there are other threads you should read, i.e. how to make allies and how to trade with AI. I used to have an issue with every single civilisation being furious at me and there are a few tricks to appease the AI.

I used to play Civ II when I was about 8 or 9. I really didn't speak much English back then but I remember loving the game to bits and playing the hell out of it.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Sounds like a good read. In the game I'm playing currently the AI seems to be going to war with each other with a reasonable frequency, and I guess I stumbled on a good way to make alliances because Egypt thinks I'm pretty awesome, but I'm going to look this stuff up.
- the Vault Dweller
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

What lacked in Civ 3 was any sort of way for the AI to track your combination of actions. Instead they either got EXTREMELY ANGRY AT YOU FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER...if you fucked up something...or they would treat every turn as a new civilization start.

Yes there was the whole "friendly, furious, etc".

But like you said, they could DoW you for totaly stupid things. Then when you caped one or two of their cities they would beg for peace, and then 2 months later DoW you again.

Ended up beating them on Diety once, which is just ridicilous cause their production is like many times fold my. Did that on an island map though since the AI handles blocades and such very badly.

One reason why you might have experienced an overly hostile AI vs you is your lack of resource trade with them. You better get into that before it gets to late in the game. The AI as mentioned judges you each turn and if they are trading with 3 people and not trading with you they will DoW you. The problem is once they start trading, they never need to trade with you anymore. They just renew their trade with the previous owner. And the AI auto checks each and every civ each and every turn to see if something is tradable, something that is very boring for you to do.

This one thing has been improved in Civ 5 (Hurray!) because one resource tile is no longer possible to sustain endless production. Instead one group of horses means you can only make horses in one town.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

I have spent about 30 hours on Civ5 now and so far i feel its the most fun civ ever made.

Sure it lacks in some asspects, like no religions and sliders, but its fun to play.

I really never liked the part where you had stacks of doom with 200 units going to war against enemies 200 units.

And even with less units in civ5 wars seem bigger cause animations are well made to simulate war.

Yea ai is lacking a bit but it doesnt ruin the game. Last game i played 12 civilizations started war against me and i menaged to defend my self and than started taking them out one by one. Thing like that would never work in civ 3 or 4.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I was pissed off when I won my epic game and they didnt show the world map with all the nations, and step by step showing how the borders were established and wars were fought. I love to get some statistics in my games, but I think they are afraid of scaring away people that cannot read a graph. The average age of the Civ gamers must have dropped dramatically in the last 5 years by the looks of it.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Haris wrote:
Yea ai is lacking a bit but it doesnt ruin the game. Last game i played 12 civilizations started war against me and i menaged to defend my self and than started taking them out one by one. Thing like that would never work in civ 3 or 4.
Hehe...isn't that kinda pathetic? ^^
But yeah I can imagine this game being alot more fun to play online. Except for the fact that you can't really cut of enemies from their resources... :censored:

Have you tried it online? Have they really fucked up the graphics there or are you able to play with animations and stuff?
Ah Graphics aren't fucked up but all animations, even walking, have been remoevd. Meh I'd like to have the option but its not a biggie.

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=47EPOr-RtDQ
Last edited by Username on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Superhaze wrote:I was pissed off when I won my epic game and they didnt show the world map with all the nations, and step by step showing how the borders were established and wars were fought. I love to get some statistics in my games, but I think they are afraid of scaring away people that cannot read a graph. The average age of the Civ gamers must have dropped dramatically in the last 5 years by the looks of it.

They removed that stuff? Man that graph made it all worth it... :anger:

I'm thinking that by Civ 7 they will have perfected the whole thing and installed a good AI and the game will be perfect. Or they could at least once try to release some form of "Civ Advanced". I'm sure alot of people would be interested.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Username wrote: I'm thinking that by Civ 7
By Civ 7 it'll be a first person shooter with customizable armor.
- the Vault Dweller
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

oww, I was looking forward to Civ 5 but I gues I've been naive. I will always have hope a Civ game comes out and somehow it is perfect.

How the fuck can they miss it? Just take Civ 2 and improve small bits damn it.
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Username wrote: I'm thinking that by Civ 7
By Civ 7 it'll be a first person shooter with customizable armor.
the inevitable end to all franchises ever: fps with customizable armor. this trend is known as the "retlaw principle"
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

It really is quite bland... and not very challenging is it?
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Mismatch wrote:It really is quite bland... and not very challenging is it?
Its not bland, its really fun and well made but AI ruins it completly. Still playable cause war animations look well designed. Even if your controlling few units it feels like your raging huge wars. I speically like it when armies of pikemen suround a town.

And for some reason it got me in the mod to play civ3 again. So instead of civ5 i been playing civ3 for about 20-30 hours all toghether since my last post.
Last edited by Haris on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

congratulation haris
Our Host!