So whats the deal..

Discuss Obsidian's Vegas Fallout game here. Also: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter and other new dairy products from Bethesda's farm that don't have separate forums here yet.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

So whats the deal..

Post by Mismatch »

with new vegas?
Isn't it just going to be the same fucked up piece of chit as FO3?

If not, why?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Yes and no.

Yes in that Obsidian has to work with the POS engine that Bethesda used for Fallout 3, in all of its buggy glory.

No in that it will probably be much more of a roleplaying game than Fallout 3. Obsidian seems to be implementing a bunch of system changes/additions that will make Fallout: New Vegas a better RPG experience (although they will still have to deal with the FPS aspects that Bethesda implemented)
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

I think it's gonna suck. I doubt Bethesda are giving them as much leeway as they're letting on. As much as we all want an Falloutish rpg experience, Bethesda also want to make money. They've got a bunch of new fans they have to keep impressed, they're not going to risk those fans wandering off by changing how the engine is used. It's gonna be a shoot em up, albeit one with interesting dialogue. Shoot em up with iteresting dialogue? Try Interplay's Kingpin, that game was brutal!
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Seconded. Kingpin was awesome.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Kingpin was fucking amazing... Also: runs well in xp(and vista if i recall) but has issues with a widescreen. Worth a replay/first play if you never played it.

I'm honestly wondering if Herve is going to try to bring it back...he tried in 2004 with all the financial bullshit. The draw factors are still present, so who knows.
...signatures? WTF?
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

So it'll be shit, but kingping was aye ok, tho' it might be good if you like obsidian.

Have they done anything good?
I once played kotor, but it was quite crappy, might have been them I suppose.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

KOTOR 1 was by Bioware (correct me if I'm mistaken), but Obsidian made the sequel KOTOR 2. IMHO, the story, characters and general immersion were better in the sequel, although it was a lot buggier and had some (combat-related) balance issues. The choices you made weren't as black and white as before either.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

This shit's going to be balls.

I appreciate them finally adding food and water meters to cover up the horrible fucking healing garbage beth did in oblivion 2 (without having to go so far as not having shitty fucking working drinking fountains everywhere and shit), but it's like stapling closed a paper grocery bag that has ripped open from someone puking into it.

Am I happy that some oldschool black isle guys are getting a little money on any project? Sure. Does their involvement mean that any game they work on isn't going to be yet another kotor clone mixed with the small town carnival quality fucking bullshit that bethesda stuffed their "fallout" with? Fuck no. In fact, because it's been mutated from that absolute pig shit, it's going to be a different and specific kind of fucking crappy. Enjoy Fallass Effect 3 boys.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Caleb wrote:Kingpin was fucking amazing... Also: runs well in xp(and vista if i recall) but has issues with a widescreen. Worth a replay/first play if you never played it.

I'm honestly wondering if Herve is going to try to bring it back...he tried in 2004 with all the financial bullshit. The draw factors are still present, so who knows.
Just re-installed it. Forget how much of a bitch the guys with falmethrowers are :(
Camoufrage
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Camoufrage »

Seeing how FALLOUT 3 wasn't shit, I guess it will be mainly the same.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Fallout 3 rocked, dog.
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Camoufrage wrote:Seeing how FALLOUT 3 wasn't shit, I guess it will be mainly the same.
Oh god, another one. How many is that now?

There was
1: Connor
2: That swell guy with the anime avatar

Seriously, am I missing anyone else from the last few weeks?

Edit: Flower? Really? Is the F word so bad?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Yonmanc wrote:
Camoufrage wrote:Seeing how FALLOUT 3 wasn't shit, I guess it will be mainly the same.
Oh god, another one. How many is that now?

There was
1: Connor
2: That flower with the anime avatar

Seriously, am I missing anyone else from the last few weeks?

Edit: Flower? Really? Is the F word so bad?
Weeks, maybe not. Months, and you're only at the top of the list.

And this Camoufrage guy is asking if there'll be 'golden' weapons. He's such a master of blending in that he wants to pimp his weapons like it's fucking Army of Two.

"Tickle-Me Aggro." That's his new name.
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

I might try and play Fallout 3 again. Surely I'm missing something.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Ha ha you funny.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Yonmanc wrote:I might try and play Fallout 3 again. Surely I'm missing something.
Yeah, you haven't lived until you've seen some of the worst digital puppetry this side of someone running a game of Rifts for their penis and testicles using a fresnel lens so that they can "See the players reactions".
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

popscythe wrote:
Yonmanc wrote:I might try and play Fallout 3 again. Surely I'm missing something.
Yeah, you haven't lived until you've seen some of the worst digital puppetry this side of someone running a game of Rifts for their penis and testicles using a fresnel lens so that they can "See the players reactions".
I don't even remember what happens after you beat that big mutant outside the radio station. Something involving water, a super-mutant vault, and old lady with a violin.

Fallout 3 does have one fantastic moment though, my favourite bit in the whole game, all kidding aside: refusing to help that kid find his dad.

"My dad has gone missing and there's giant firey ants."

"Amazing, I'd like to help, but I'm too busy helping a retarded mick bitch write a book, which cleverly explains that radiation and landmines are bad things, and should be avoided. After all, without this sacred tome, people would only have 200 years worth of wisdom passed from generation to generation to rely on."

"But my dad!"

"Oh for fucks sake, look for this dad, look for that dad, what am I, some sort of father relocation service? Go fuck yourself, I hope your dad's dead"

I remember not being able to kill your father, which sucks, would have been a great twist. I wanted to kill the child deserting rat, not help him save those too stupid to build a water filteration device.

And in case anybody even tries to tell me that the whole "we can only clean the water with a magic briefcase" storyline made sense, prepare to use your F3 disc as a coffee mat, as this piece of fine technology renders the main quest useless:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/sci ... tter-3.jpg

A home-made water purifier. Technology.

FNV?

"We need you to wage a massive war with the the orcs in order to retrieve a magical device which helps us change the channel without having to constantly get up from our seats, I call it a Programara Changus Tablet"

Fallout 3 is for swell guy and Aqua Pura sounds like a Harry Potter spell.
Last edited by Yonmanc on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

lol ftw.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
NinjaJesus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by NinjaJesus »

I don't understand what you guys have against Fallout 3. I rather enjoy it, and have logged at least 250 hours into it. My main problem is that there is no challenge, or items that actually give me a sense of achievement.
And, y'know, I always feel like I'm cheating, for some strange reason. (X360 version)
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

NinjaJesus wrote:I don't understand what you guys have against Fallout 3.
It's probably due to the fact that comprehending anything diverging from your own opinion is far outside the grasp of your level of your mental development.
Our Host!