OXM Fallout New Vegas scans and information

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
sandwiches
SDF!
SDF!

Post by sandwiches »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
sandwiches wrote:I really don't know why there's so much hatred from forums like these; It reminds me of a group of old men sitting around in a retirement home talking about how the much better the "good ol' days" were. An earlier post even paints people who liked FO3 as idiotic 'l33t' kids and those who prefer the older games as composed and urbane, when the reality is that loud, rabid posters come from sides.
On its merits, we don't like the game. What is so difficult to "get" about that?
Look back on this thread and forums, overall, and see how many people speak of the fanbase or the fans as not liking FO3, as though they represent the entirety of the fanbase. Also look at how people who like it are portrayed, including by what I can only assume is your resident troll, yonmanc.

It's more than merely not liking the game; It's thinking that only the mentally-challenged plebs will enjoy FO3.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

sandwiches wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:
sandwiches wrote:I really don't know why there's so much hatred from forums like these; It reminds me of a group of old men sitting around in a retirement home talking about how the much better the "good ol' days" were. An earlier post even paints people who liked FO3 as idiotic 'l33t' kids and those who prefer the older games as composed and urbane, when the reality is that loud, rabid posters come from sides.
On its merits, we don't like the game. What is so difficult to "get" about that?
Look back on this thread and forums, overall, and see how many people speak of the fanbase or the fans as not liking FO3, as though they represent the entirety of the fanbase. Also look at how people who like it are portrayed, including by what I can only assume is your resident troll, yonmanc.

It's more than merely not liking the game; It's thinking that only the mentally-challenged plebs will enjoy FO3.
Not really, there are several people on this forum that have played a significant amount of FO3, decided that it's al all-right game, but just not Fallout. Essentially, it's just a prolapse against the majority of the new fanbase who says that FO3 is the best fucking thing to ever have happened. And the shitty reviews that give it 10/10 even though CLEARLY, ON ITS MERITS, that game does not deserve a 10/10. I mean, IGN set FO3 of being the 7th best game of the decade. Seriously? It might be an ok game for those whose boats it floats, but it is not a great game, nor does it do anything groundbreaking.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Did you say a game that has had one the worst launchers I've ever seen due to bugs across multiple platforms as being polished? Fallout 3 release code was pretty much beta at best.

I played Fallout 3 for a considerable amount of time; made some game breaking choices which ruined my first game (apparently I can't kill the lone BoS soldier in the sewer, but any other ones is fair game), but it just suffers from poor design (if you can't figure out how to make a game without invulnerable NPC's then you're doing it wrong. How hard is it for them to drop a note or something?) and implementation. The vaunted "immersion" that it has is broken so many times by the fact there's only 3 different voices in the game and how terrible the characters in the game look, move, talk and respond.

And whats N4G?
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Stainless wrote: And whats N4G?
http://www.n4g.com/

A video game "journo" site.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

sandwiches wrote:
Amis wrote:
sandwiches wrote: This hurdle is only in some people's minds. I didn't find many problems with Fallout 3 and, overall, it is a great game, with or without mods, and very fitting of the franchise.

I really don't know why there's so much hatred from forums like these; It reminds me of a group of old men sitting around in a retirement home talking about how the much better the "good ol' days" were. An earlier post even paints people who liked FO3 as idiotic 'l33t' kids and those who prefer the older games as composed and urbane, when the reality is that loud, rabid posters come from sides.
Where are these guys coming from?
The thread was mentioned in N4G.
Amis wrote:There seems to be endless posts (first time posts mind you) about how we are old people sitting on are chairs and complaining why the fuck can't we bring out are opinion about how the fallout fanbase got fucked over FOBOS and completely ignored in the creation of fallout 3 and while fallout 3 is playable it still comes out as a bland and boring experience, all you do is walk the wasteland choosing either to BLOWUP THIS HUGE NUCLEAR BOMB WITH A FATMAN!!!!111 OR choose to save the town and everyone is happy and ladidaa witch in the end doesn't even matter cause nothing changes everything stays the same. You have absolutely no effect on the world it just feels empty, the dialogue is well shit and the characters are not really that memorable exept that they all have the same goddamn voice actor. The combat is too easy and could have been looked into more.

Fallout 3 is playable but its just not as creative as the originals.

STEEL BE WITH YOU!
I'm old in gamer age, now. I'm 30. I'm not saying that you're old. I'm saying a lot of the conversations sound like what old guys talk about with their rosy-colored glasses on.

However, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. First off, you say the fanbase was ignored as though you're speaking for every fan of the series. Sounds more than a bit presumptuous of you. And no, I don't care if I can ask anyone on this forum and they'll all agree with you. This forums is still NOT the entire fanbase.

Second, the fanbase will only get you so far and they wanted to bring more people into the fold. I can't say I blame them. I wasn't expecting a rehash of the same old two games. However, considering the compromises and changes they made in FO3, I find it to be very fitting of the series and a very good and polished game.

You didn't like the game. I get it. Just don't pretend to talk for every fan of the series; You most definitely do not.
Now obviously I don't speak for everyone that's you putting words into my mouth if I say fanbase I don't need to mean every single one. Now if I remember correctly bethesda pretty much decided not to interact with the oldest fansites around the internet and played the game more towards marketing for a new crowd, furthermore:

"We don't do major development deals and projects to appease any one fanbase," Pete Hines explained. "That's a really good way to go out of business fast."

They didn't even bother trying.

Where is the passion? You maybe like the new game ok, fair enough. I said I can play it but it just does not feel like fallout. If I want a good fps rpg experience might as well play bioshock. What I said earlier reflects a lot of people, as you have heard it a lot in the past, doesn't that say a lot about the old fallout fans?

There where a lot of people who did not like the new starwars did you go tell them you don't speak for the entire fanbase as well?
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

sandwiches wrote:
Yonmanc wrote:
SenisterDenister wrote:Ha, he thinks Yonmanc is a troll.
Glad you brought that to my attention, I barely read what he wrote, it was too whiney, just went over then.

Hey sandwhiches. Shit in your mother's cunt. How'd you like them apples?
That's more like it, tiger. ;)
What an amazing comeback. I make a reference to your mothers rotten vulva harbouring a chocolate sausage, and you make a homosexual pass at me.

You're wit makes as much sense and bethesda's idea of a sensible dialogue tree.

No sir, I'm not a troll, it just bugs me when people don't feel comfortable liking something others don't, and so feel the need to preach.

"HEY!1! SUM OV UZ LYK FALLOT 3! U DNT SPK FR EVERY1"

Amazing insight. If the game was that good, you'd be playing it, not coming on message boards defedning it. I can guarantee my taste in games besides Fallout is not the same as others on this board.

I loved GTA 4, a lot of GTA fans felt Rockstar had pushed the game into a direction they didn't enjoy, choosing realism over the usual cartoon violence. A lot of old GTA fans slammed the game.

I didn't go onto their message boards and go "BT ITZ VERY GUD, TEH GAME MAGAZIN SED SO, SO UR OBVSLY RONG"

Y'know what I did. I just played the game, enjoyed it, replayed it a couple of times, bought the DLC's, still repalying those, and had a blast. The guys that didn't like it? I'm sure they're having a blast playing different games. Or maybe not, I wouldn't know, I didn't troll their message boards.

It all comes down to insecurity. You are very insecure, and feel the need to have strangers support your choices in commercial transactions, and also feel the need to shoot down those that don't.

I on the other hand, don't need that kind of support, because I have hair on my balls.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Dogmeatlives wrote:The problem is these dudes are coming here with no sense of how badass the first two games were FOR THEIR TIME.
That is true. But the sad part is, most people don't realize the first two games' badassery even compared to the best market has to offer today! Fallout 1 and even 2 were in almost every way far superior to Fallout 3. Heck, even FO Tactics was more entertaining.

I must've played through Fallout 2 something like 8 - 10 times over these years, while I never even bothered to start a rerun of FO3. The same goes for Planescape: Torment for example: I'm still playing it every now and then, experimenting on new things and enjoying it's pure awesomeness.
Amis wrote:There where a lot of people who did not like the new starwars did you go tell them you don't speak for the entire fanbase as well?
Nice comparison. If Fallout 1 was Empire Strikes Back (FO2 being the 'wackier' sequel, Return of the Jedi) then Fallout 3 was definitely Phantom Menace.
Last edited by Kashluk on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Fallout 3: The Phantom Menace. Has a ring to it.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Quit the off-topic bickering comments. Split the offtopic comments to the wasteland.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

And to bring it back on topic:
OXM UK, March 2010 wrote:"Clearly, you have a responsibility to push the series forward, but there's also nothing worse than a misguided attempt to differentiate a follow-up that only ruins what everyone loved about the original. Throw in a new developer - [Fallout] New vegas is being developed by Obsidian rather than Bethesda's in-house team - and there is no doubt that a fair few Fallout fans will be more than a little concerned that this could be a recipe for nuclear disaster"

OH THE IRONY
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Yonmanc wrote:
Stainless wrote: And whats N4G?
http://www.n4g.com/

A video game "journo" site.
Not really a "journo" site, just a gaming version of Digg.
Our Host!