Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 PSM says Fallout: New Vegas will kick Fallout 3's ass View next topic
View previous topic
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Preview ] - More info on Company: Obsidian Entertainment | More info on Game: Fallout: New Vegas

Playstation Magazine is telling it how it is. PSM's sister pulication, CVG, posted this article preview - commence Bethesda slag and Obsidian love:

In an exclusive first look at Fallout New Vegas, CVG sister mag PSM3 reveals that developer Obsidian has taken dialogue and scripting up a notch in the sequel to Fallout 3.

lead producer of Fallout New Vegas, Larry Liberty said: "We had to modify the dialogue engine from Fallout 3 to include the types of dialogue and options that we wanted.

"We want real, memorable characters. I think it helps you to remember parts of the world you'd otherwise forget."

As part of its world-exclusive cover feature, PSM3 played an extensive demo of New Vegas. The mag reported that it was 'apparent that Obsidian are much more comfortable behind the keyboard than the team that made Fallout 3 and, before that, Oblivion. The scripting is wittier, the characters more distinct.'

To be honest, I never would have expected this from a print publication, but Bethesda certainly screwed over the Playstation community with the buggy and virtually unplayable release of Fallout 3 (which wasn't patched for a looong time).

This is also further validation that Fallout is back in the right hands. You can apparently already pick up this edition of PSM, as CVG is reporting it went on sale on 4 February.

CVG Home » News
PreviousSonic & Sega All-Stars Racing demo out now News Index Next

New Vegas 'wittier' than Fallout 3

Developer Obsidian wants 'real, memorable characters', reports PSM3
In an exclusive first look at Fallout New Vegas, CVG sister mag PSM3 reveals that developer Obsidian has taken dialogue and scripting up a notch in the sequel to Fallout 3.

lead producer of Fallout New Vegas, Larry Liberty said: "We had to modify the dialogue engine from Fallout 3 to include the types of dialogue and options that we wanted.

"We want real, memorable characters. I think it helps you to remember parts of the world you'd otherwise forget."

As part of its world-exclusive cover feature, PSM3 played an extensive demo of New Vegas. The mag reported that it was 'apparent that Obsidian are much more comfortable behind the keyboard than the team that made Fallout 3 and, before that, Oblivion. The scripting is wittier, the characters more distinct.'
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As long as they fix the dialogue. Then ill be very happy... As long as they get away from fallout 3 type dialogue and focus more on an in-depth story experience, then all is good. I mean... i still wouldnt mind reading dialogue, so id rather read destcriptive and long paragraphs than simple idiodic sentences...

I think they need to make a few videos with some gameplay or even a demo interaction with an npc to show the general idea of dialogue, along with a generalized combat video... generalized demo as in set up to present what it is more or less alike but without giving away any key information away about the story.
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn so maybe it will be good
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gunlok could kick Fallout 3's arse, and that game is shit.
SenisterDenister
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Battlecruiser 3000 A.D., anyone?
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not enthused about this "back in the right hands" stuff. They're clearly pandering directly to the fallout 3 crowd. Look at those screens. Fucking cartoony goddamn bullshit. Oh, so if you have "low skill" in something you automatically fail, is that what we're hearing? Great. Greeeeeat.
Blargh
‹berkommando
‹berkommando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pity that 'logic' does not seem to apply to REAL LIFE, because THEN, the TARGETED AUDIENCE would have SUFFOCATED via FORGETTING HOW TO INHALE CORRECTLY and that would be JUST DUCKY.

LEWL.

icon_drunk
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

PSM scans are up:

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23709
Connor
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am very excited for New Vegas. It'll be interesting to see the original creators get back into the game. I loved Fallout 3, and am a similar Elder Scrolls fanboy, but I'm not without mad respect for Black Isle and the crew. I stayed up all night waiting for the trailer, and will similarly do so for the midnight launch come FALL 2010.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

show me that PSM didn't grope for Beth's weiner like every other gaming outlet and I'll give them a bit more credit for trashing Fallout 3.

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic