Remnants

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
IndependentHat
SDF!
SDF!

Remnants

Post by IndependentHat »

So its Christmas day, Ive decided to finally move my project into the community to see what you guys think and gauge interest.
Some of you may remember me from way back when fallout tactics was played on game spy arcade, I was pretty quick to start pumping out maps when the editor was released as well. I have been unemployed for a while now and have the luxury of time to make something I've always wanted, my own game.

Remnants is going to be a free MMO game similar to the game play of Fallout tactics demo utilizing the fallout tactics assets. I say fallout tactics demo because the demo was far more balanced, strategic and fun then the full version game has ever been. I intend to address many of the faults with the original game such as the stat system, the continuous turn based system and total lack of proper RPG elements while adding many things their previous engine could never do. To give a full description on the game concept would take alot more posts so I'll just leave it at that for now.

I'm approximately one month in now, and I'll explain what my engine currently uses:

The game engine utilizes openGL and I have implemented a fragment shader in GLSL to decode the fallout tactics artwork in its native compressed ZAR format. Not only does this mean I can render far more sprites more efficiently then the original fallout tactics engine (which actually doesn't run very well on my computer at 1920x1080 : O), I can also store them in video memory in an extremely efficient manner. The sprite data is also translated into pseudo 3d geometry while still appearing exactly the same as the original game but allowing me to use per pixel lighting much improved over fallout tactics original lighting system. To my knowledge, fallout tactics also used a sorting system which rendered their map tiles completely static. My game will allow completely dynamic and modifiable environments. A rocket exploding against a wall can destroy the wall or a mine going off could create a crater on the ground as well as being able to possibly create structures in the long run ETC. The game engine also supports zooming in and out and rotating the camera.

The interface to the game utilizes angelscript scripting language with a self produced window environment. Although Ive only made simple widgets thus far such as buttons, scrollbars, and UTF8 text boxes, it should be fairly easy in the future to add much more complex widgets such as one for parsing html.
I haven't implemented sound yet but I intend to use openAL.
Ive done some early netcode tests with winsock and I'm about to implement the backbone of the server structure.

If you are interested in becoming involved in this project, give me a shout!
If you have knowledge in any of the technologies I mentioned, that would be awesome, but even if you aren't a programmer, I'm gonna need some map designers and possibly someone with decent art skills for UI skins. (Don't worry, I intend to make tools to VASTLY improve map making over the horrible methods used in the original fallout tactics tools.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Interesting, how about some screenshots?
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
IndependentHat
SDF!
SDF!

Post by IndependentHat »

Unfortunately since I'm not an artist, I cant really show you anything you haven't already seen in fallout tactics as far as artwork is concerned. The only thing id have to show is engine performance tests Ive been running which aren't very interesting to look at. Though im pretty happy with 400fps with 6K+ unique dynamic tiles :D. As I finish the servers map sector streaming system, i can make some actual maps and have something to show for, but that's probably a week off.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Cool, keep me updated. When you're ready to show some things off, PM me and I'll make a newspost on the front page about it.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Interesting.
No vaporware, I hope.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Very good. Time to brush of the ol' dusty Tactics box.
IndependentHat
SDF!
SDF!

Post by IndependentHat »

I just optimized the rendering engine to the point i can now load the ENTIRE fallout tactics data set into ram. It is hefty at almost 1.2 million images and can sit cozy in ram for a mere 1.3gb.

Other then your video drivers swapping out new textures from a page file occasionally, there will not be any loading while wandering the game world no matter how far you go. No data will need to be reloaded. I wont need to program load zones or limit the tiles or sprites used in a specific area like fallout tactics had.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post a video on YouTube or something. I'd really like to see this in action.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

John Matrix has spoken. Time is running out.
IndependentHat
SDF!
SDF!

Post by IndependentHat »

I just got back from a vacation. The problem is there isn't much to show.
Perhaps when i do lighting it will look better.

Im interested in knowing some of the hardware you guys are using right now...
my zar decoder requires some relatively new opengl extensions and hardware older then say, geforce 8 series might not be able to run it...pretty pathetic requirements for an essentially 2d game but what can i do.

One thing that saddens me is that because im decoding the image data on the fly, it would be pretty expensive to do any sort of texture filtering... So if the camera is at an odd angle or you zoom in, it looks fairly rough.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

I just got a new laptop, so I hope it would be compatible:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
Geforce GT 240M 1gb
4gb RAM
IndependentHat
SDF!
SDF!

Post by IndependentHat »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQH7VG_2VSY

Here is something to give you an idea...
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Nice! Check out the main page.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Holy shit, that is awesome. Nice work man. Will you release the engine once you have a working alpha/beta?
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Very very good. How long before you can have an example that shows all the basic functionality that FOT had for it's maps?

You are FOT man of the year!
Our Host!