Borderlands looks like Comix Zone

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Macky
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Borderlands looks like Comix Zone

Post by Macky »

So I have to look forward to Borderlands because it's the next completely commercialized post-apocalyptic product becoming available but I've been noticing that there doesn't seem to be any firm impressions in the game industry about it.

I can give examples but basically the game is still floating in unknowns and ambiguous enough to be received poorly by the time it is released and I'm starting to wonder what the odds actually are that this won't be a complete throw away for a myriad of reasons and possibilities.

How the hell can there be vehicles and over a million different parts and modifications to make on vehicles and no one even knows if that entire modification system is crude and tacky? Where does my vehicle go after I modify it? Well then where the hell is my garage? Are these things like cracker jack toys or what?

And why the hell would i pre-order at Game Stop to unlock 8 extra weapon combinations when there are reported to be millions in the game already? Well I dunno why I did, but I did.

Kashluk

Re: Borderlands looks like Comix Zone

Post by Kashluk »

Macky wrote:And why the hell would i pre-order at Game Stop to unlock 8 extra weapon combinations when there are reported to be millions in the game already? Well I dunno why I did, but I did.
I can spot a gap in the market just about there.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Ok maybe I'm getting old, or something, or maybe FO3 ruined it for me, but I'm not so big on open world games anymore :(

well, videogames in general are major suckage
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Dogmeatlives wrote:well, videogames in general are major suckage
Pretty much.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I'll probably pick it up simply for the 4-player co-op.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

OH HAI! Anyone tried uncharter 2: something with thieves etc. yet? No?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Stainless wrote:I'll probably pick it up simply for the 4-player co-op.
can you play this with friends or is it interner only? co-op games are fun sometimes
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Megatron wrote:
can you play this with friends or is it interner only? co-op games are fun sometimes
One of the central areas of replay value in Saints Row 2, beyond the customization. Co-op makes everything that much more legit
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

eat shit mongo
Last edited by Megatron on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Megatron wrote:whoa whoa. saints row has 2 player, in the same room on one sex boy? when did they do that?
The second Saints is. Not split-screen but the campaign is entirely co-op and another player, regardless of their progress, can join in at any time. Kind of gets ridiculous when they can have infinite ammo/sprint/etc and they're helping out someone who's just starting a file
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Megatron wrote:
Its internetter only as far as I know. May be different for the consoles, but I doubt it.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

What's the word on this?
I hear the RPG part is very exaggerated.

How's the humor and fps part?
Testicular Pugilist
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Stainless wrote:
Megatron wrote:
Its internetter only as far as I know. May be different for the consoles, but I doubt it.
online only for all platforms
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Smiley wrote:What's the word on this?
I hear the RPG part is very exaggerated.

How's the humor and fps part?
Pretty correct on the RPG stuff. Humour is there, but only in little bursts, but it makes me laugh usually. Little robots get annoying though.

FPS is nice, hit location is there (head shots/weakpoints are crits, somethings have armoured regions, etc), and the guns are satisfying.

Loot system is very diabloish/mmo. However having no loot share system/trading means that if you have a douchebag friend who loot whores everything to sell means that you'll miss out.

The netcode is rat shit, or rather, the hoops to jump through to just host a game (as there's no dedicated servers, its all p2p) is silly for this day and age. After forwarding about 10 ports, I still can't host, so meh.

What this means is that if the usual host gets any quests done, you'll be unable to do it (ala Diablo 2) if you weren't there, which can be annoying as then you have to singleplayer (or join some random game) to catch up.

Menu interface is complete and utter trash, ripped directly from a console for a PC. Why the hell do I need to press the A key to add friends instead of just clicking a fucking button? Why can't I skip the intro/startup movies? Why is the microphone automatically set on with no options on how to change its sensitivity, let alone turn it off? Thank fuck for ini file editing.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Superhaze wrote:OH HAI! Anyone tried uncharter 2: something with thieves etc. yet? No?
If you liked the first one, you'll like the second. There's really no other way to put it. It's a much improved version of the first. I liked it, personally.

As for Borderlands. It's fun for a lan party. I don't play it online with anyone, but LAN is fun. Other than that, it's basically similar to a FPS diablo, which has been mentioned before.
Our Host!