Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Interplay vs. Bethesda Clarification View next topic
View previous topic
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Company -> Update ] - More info on Company: Bethesda Softworks | More info on Company: Interplay

Interplay has filed an 8-K form with the SEC clarifying the problems surrounding their arrangement with Bethesda. Read it for yourself:

On October 16, 2009, Interplay Entertainment Corp. (“Interplay”) answered the lawsuit filed by Bethesda Softworks LLC (“Bethesda”) in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland on September 8, 2009. In conjunction with its Answer, Interplay asserted Counter-Claims against Bethesda seeking affirmative relief, including for Breach of Contract, Declaratory Judgment, and other relief. Interplay alleges Bethesda breached the terms of Asset Purchase Agreement related to the sale of the FALLOUT® intellectual property to Bethesda.

Interplay’s counter-suit alleges that Bethesda interfered with Interplay’s business, including distribution of the previously released FALLOUT ®, FALLOUT® 2, and FALLOUT® Tactics games, by attempting to terminate Interplay’s distribution rights, among other acts. Interplay asks the Court to decide whether Bethesda’s attempt to terminate Interplay’s rights under the Asset Purchase Agreement results in nullification of the entire contract such that the Parties should be returned to the status quo under their former Exclusive Licensing Agreement. If the Exclusive Licensing Agreement is restored, Bethesda may owe royalties based upon sales of its FALLOUT ® 3 title. Interplay also seeks a declaration from the Court that it has not infringed upon the FALLOUT® mark and that it has satisfied the terms of a Trademark Licensing Agreement it signed with Bethesda related to Interplay’s production of a massively-multiplayer online game.

For its part, Bethesda seeks to cancel the Trademark License Agreement, which conditionally allows Interplay to use the FALLOUT ® brand in conjunction with its currently-in-production massively multiplayer online game. Bethesda claims that Interplay breached the trademark license agreement because it allegedly failed to commence full scale development and satisfy a funding requirement within a specified time frame. Bethesda also seeks to terminate Interplay’s rights with respect to Interplay’s distribution of the FALLOUT® back catalog of games. Interplay disputes these allegations. Although the potential damages are currently unknown, if Bethesda ultimately prevails, Bethesda could obtain a damages award and cancel the trademark license agreement. Interplay could lose its license to use the FALLOUT® brand with respect to its massively multiplayer online game, and also its right to distribute the pre-existing FALLOUT® titles.

I can't really comment on the lawsuit beyond my limited knowledge of their original contract, but from what everyone said at the time, Interplay sold absolutely everything to Bethesda except for the MMO deal. If only someone would email me the original contract......

Spotted @ No Mutants Allowed

MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If Interplay would actually get royalities for Fallout 3 than that is that, Interplay is back in business.
SenisterDenister
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well shit.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If this works, and that's a big if, I might have to take back my opinion of Herve being the world's biggest moron.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Since when did Interplay change their main line of business from fabricating bogus financial statements to the glamorous trade of suing and countersuing? icon_confused2
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I can't really comment on the lawsuit beyond my limited knowledge of their original contract, but from what everyone said at the time, Interplay sold absolutely everything to Bethesda except for the MMO deal. If only someone would email me the original contract......

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Trademark_License_Agreement
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Asset_Purchase_Agreement
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

By gamers. For gamers.

C.R.EA.MN
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ausir wrote:
Quote:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Trademark_License_Agreement
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Asset_Purchase_Agreement

Right, didn't know they were public. Cheers
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can't find a copy of the 2004 Exlusive Licensing Agreement, though, which could also be useful.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In all honesty, litigation drama has never been so... interesting.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wolfman Walt wrote:
If this works, and that's a big if, I might have to take back my opinion of Herve being the world's biggest moron.

balls and stupid luck do not make intelligence
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Redeye wrote:
Wolfman Walt wrote:

balls and stupid luck does not make intelligence

No, but you have to admit that this seems just ABIT too well planned for it to be random luck. I don't believe in coincidence and it's not coincidence that Interplay starts marketing the "FALLOUT TRILOGY" to capitalize on Fallout 3's success and then trying to make their whole deal annuled and receive a huge sum of money. It's like Herve's garage is now some sort of League of Injustice and he's a real life Lex Luthor that fails at almost every turn.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Redeye wrote:
Wolfman Walt wrote:

balls and stupid luck does not make intelligence

No, but you have to admit that this seems just ABIT too well planned for it to be random luck. I don't believe in coincidence and it's not coincidence that Interplay starts marketing the "FALLOUT TRILOGY" to capitalize on Fallout 3's success and then trying to make their whole deal annuled and receive a huge sum of money. It's like Herve's garage is now some sort of League of Injustice and he's a real life Lex Luthor that fails at almost every turn.

I for one am for it. As much as we hate Herve, the fucker knows how to make Fallout right. Bethesda assraped the fallout brand and should have to pay tons of money for doing so. Right? So while there is injustice, there is justice.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just want my Gauss
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MR Snake wrote:
As much as we hate Herve, the fucker knows how to make Fallout right.

No.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

VasikkA wrote:
MR Snake wrote:

No.

yes
darkknight
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Interplay defeated the preliminary injunction imposed by Bethesda. Interplay also released a bunch of new concept art as part of their legal case for Fallout MMORPG made by Serg. They showed the first picture on their website: Here's the link: http://www.interplay.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=50 Interplay also confirmed that they have Fallout MMORPG already up and running in a demo format.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MR Snake wrote:
VasikkA wrote:
MR Snake wrote:

No.

yes

?
Amis
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Marketing. A big black guy and a hot redhead chick with guns.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Fallout MMO. Herve knows jackshit about making a Fallout game and proved as much as soon as he cancelled Van Buren in favor of trash. Just because we have a more recent evil, doesn't mean we should forget the ones of the past.

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic