PC Gamer UK Top 100 Games dealie!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

By reading the review, it's quite obvious they either borrowed from other reviews or really haven't played the game at all. Or, and the most likely prospect, they are complete newbie gamer morons, as their rating decisions point out. I doubt any of their people individually have 10 years of gaming experience.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

These games are definitely not top 100, feel free to add:

Championship manager 00/01
Quake 3 Arena
Grim Fandango
Hostile Waters
Sacrifice
Black & White
Red Alert 2
No one lives forever
Serious Sam
Ultimate Race Pro
Rally Championship
Micro Machines V3
Urban Chaos
Star Trek: Elite Force
Startopia
Superbike 2000
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Star Wars Racer
Ecstatica 2
MDK
Heroes of Might & Magic III
Hired Guns
TOCA 2
Warzone 2100
Z: Steel soldiers
Worms world party
Fifa 2001
GTA 2
Blade Runner
Crimson Skies
Dungeon Keeper
Sudden Strike
The Longest Journey
Mr Driller
Total Air War
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

VasikkA wrote: Grim Fandango
Dungeon Keeper
eh?
:chew:
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Hey... where's Ultima IV? No proper best games of all time list can exist without Ultima IV.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

subedai wrote: As for "God damn, those british-pussies, kill 'em all!", I can only hope that this was some post-modern statement relating to the whole nuclear annihilation thing. I don't have a problem with yanks spouting rubbish, or at least I don't think that one mindless american is an example of what the whole country is like. (And yes, that did mean I'm a limey)
It was a burst of hatred, aimed towards the UK PCGamer-dudes... And as far as I know UK is (in) Britain?? :roll:

Nothing wrong with Brits in general, at least they're better than those God Forsaken yankees :mrgreen:
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Can't disagree with that. Britain would be in the UK, by the way.

RPG Codex
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I thought it was the British islands :| Oh well, should've known Ireland isn't part of Britain...

Anyways, the terms Englishman, Scotch and Welch are confusing enough :D Not to mention Eires and stuff!

How can such a variable bunch live in such a small piece of land? :P
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Lots of racial tension and hate, really. My, this is OT.

RPG Codex
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

For all you British hating small minded Yanks, bear in mind were pretty much the only ally you have left.

As for the list, in the top 10 rpgs they did the month late in the magazine itself Fallout came at 3. Also in the comments section (not included on the web version) their RPG bod put fallout as his fave game.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Bulldog wrote:Mother of fuck.

This is the first I've heard of that.

I can't even begin to express...
Just for you, Bulldog. :)
PC Gamer Editorial on Fallout 3 wrote:Scanning the Wasteland for Signs of Fallout

The hot rumor from Europe is that Fallout 3 might be under development at Black Isle Studios. Hints of this project have come up before, but this time it’s both the Swedish PC Gamer and the French PC Jeux who are reporting the development, and we think it’s for real.

Despite our pestering, Interplay is still keeping mum for the moment, but even the possibility of a new Fallout RPG has got me keenly interested. Australia-based Micro Forté is in ruins after a disastrous economic meltdown in the wake of last year’s Fallout Tactics, but we understand that Black Isle is itself handling the development of this third installment in the renowned post–nuclear war roleplaying series.

So I’d just like to take a second and (a) Plead with Black Isle for the news to be true, and (b) List a few suggestions for the direction I’d love to see Fallout 3 take.

For starters, hang on to the black-comedy element that makes this series what it is. Dour gallows humor has kept us cackling through both of the previous Fallout RPGs, and it’s the glue that holds this wonderful franchise together.

Second, maybe try a slight shift away from the Mad Max ambience and take a risk on a more high-tech, urban, Blade Runner–ish vibe. The first two games are classics, but I think a third desert trek might be going once too often to the well. I’d be delighted to explore a more developed, built-up "dystopic city" theme for this go-round. Dazzle us with a slightly more cyberpunk vision of the Fallout world.

Another suggestion springs from one of the disappointments I’ve always had with the series: Why not throw in some true Kubrickian weirdness? Granted, the Fallout series is full of mutants and super-weapons, but it’s never delved into the out-and-out astounding. I’m talking about alien revelations, contact with the monolith, time-folding, Tesla kind of weirdness. My biggest letdown with Fallout 2 was reaching the end and realizing that it was all just a matter of rescuing the folks imprisoned on the island. With a setting as vast and nasty as Fallout’s, why not branch out into the realm of the wild and blow us away with something really shocking?

The bottom line is, Fallout 3 would be some of the best news that the RPG community has had in a year. We’ll be aggressively pursuing those coy Black Isle folks and let you know everything we can ascertain. Hopefully, the beleaguered Interplay can get back on track with this colossal franchise.
------------------
Croveon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Croveon »

I have noticed that 67% of all American games are given worse ratings in European Game magazines/web sites. Maybe they are just JEALOUS that they didn't have the INTELLIGENCE to finish the game and other countries did.(NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE THAT IS NOT A PART OF PCG UK)
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Croveon wrote:I have noticed that 67% of all American games are given worse ratings in European Game magazines/web sites. Maybe they are just JEALOUS that they didn't have the INTELLIGENCE to finish the game and other countries did.
Yeah, that must be the case. Their country didn't have the intelligence to finish the games.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

"I have noticed that 67% of all American games are given worse ratings in European Game magazines/web sites."
Really? 67%? I'm just wondering how did you get that precentege?

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
PC Gamer Editorial on Fallout 3 wrote:Scanning the Wasteland for Signs of Fallout

My biggest letdown with Fallout 2 was reaching the end and realizing that it was all just a matter of rescuing the folks imprisoned on the island.
Did he just call the oilrig an "island"?

I really thought I saved the wastes from doom by destroying the oilrig, but, apparently, the only thing i did was save the peop... uh I mean folks. oh darn.

This was written by a moron, which is bad enough, that also doesn't know shit about the original games.

By the way, where is Star Control 2?
It was a good game.
HanoverF
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by HanoverF »

The hot rumor from Europe is that Fallout 3 might be under development at Black Isle Studios. Hints of this project have come up before, but this time it’s both the Swedish PC Gamer and the French PC Jeux who are reporting the development, and we think it’s for real.

Despite our pestering, Interplay is still keeping mum for the moment, but even the possibility of a new Fallout RPG has got me keenly interested. Australia-based Micro Forté is in ruins after a disastrous economic meltdown in the wake of last year’s Fallout Tactics, but we understand that Black Isle is itself handling the development of this third installment in the renowned post–nuclear war roleplaying series.

So I’d just like to take a second and (a) Plead with Black Isle for the news to be true, and (b) List a few suggestions for the direction I’d love to see Fallout 3 take.

For starters, hang on to the black-comedy element that makes this series what it is. Dour gallows humor has kept us cackling through both of the previous Fallout RPGs, and it’s the glue that holds this wonderful franchise together.

Second, maybe try a slight shift away from the Mad Max ambience and take a risk on a more high-tech, urban, Blade Runner–ish vibe. The first two games are classics, but I think a third desert trek might be going once too often to the well. I’d be delighted to explore a more developed, built-up "dystopic city" theme for this go-round. Dazzle us with a slightly more cyberpunk vision of the Fallout world.

Another suggestion springs from one of the disappointments I’ve always had with the series: Why not throw in some true Kubrickian weirdness? Granted, the Fallout series is full of mutants and super-weapons, but it’s never delved into the out-and-out astounding. I’m talking about alien revelations, contact with the monolith, time-folding, Tesla kind of weirdness. My biggest letdown with Fallout 2 was reaching the end and realizing that it was all just a matter of rescuing the folks imprisoned on the island. With a setting as vast and nasty as Fallout’s, why not branch out into the realm of the wild and blow us away with something really shocking?

The bottom line is, Fallout 3 would be some of the best news that the RPG community has had in a year. We’ll be aggressively pursuing those coy Black Isle folks and let you know everything we can ascertain. Hopefully, the beleaguered Interplay can get back on track with this colossal franchise.
8O 8O 8O

Well, it could be worse, he could have suggested there be talking animals with Elf names...

oh wait
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

Its incredably narrow minded to think a magazine that needs mass market appeal would try and pander to such a tiny market segment.

Fallout is of course one of the best games of all time, but this top 100 has to reflect the opinions of all the reveiwers (most of whom are action gamers) and not piss off half the readership whove never even heard of fallout (came out before the big uk games boom).
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Mr Carrot wrote:Its incredably narrow minded to think a magazine that needs mass market appeal would try and pander to such a tiny market segment.

Fallout is of course one of the best games of all time, but this top 100 has to reflect the opinions of all the reveiwers (most of whom are action gamers) and not piss off half the readership whove never even heard of fallout (came out before the big uk games boom).

This list wasn't made in order to reflect the ideas of the action gamers and to please the readers (not formaly, even that it indeed happened) it was made to include the top 100 games in the reviewer's minds. I dont think it's narrow minded to say that they are morons and to disagree with their selection (you said it yourself: "Fallout is of course one of the best games of all times".)

The list is very bad not only because it lacked Fallout, but because it lacked some other great games (Moo, SC2, C&C, Star Craft and many others) and it had a lot of bad games. it is narrow minded to write the list based on what their reader's think and not upon stuff like logic and sense.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

I think being comercialy minded and keeping the readership happy is more important then actually presenting a proper list.

the actual decent opinions from the relevent people came the issue later, where they had top 10 genre lists (which is a far more fitting way of doing games lists). Fallout came 3rd.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Lasse wrote:PCG UK is crap, that's all I got to say.
Didnt PCGUK say Q3 was the greatest game that year? What have they been smoking? UT beat it in everyway ( except maybe enginewise ) and there may have been even better games that year
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Yeah there morons, I don't see why you have to call everyone british morons. It's like me saying I hate all jewish people because one killed my neighbour, or saying I think all americans are dumb because george bush is stupid.
"Yer picks yer weapon, aims it at yet
foe - not difficult, seeing as they’re motionless - and hope your accuracy and strength is enough to take them out. Which it will be if you’ve picked certain characteristics for your player."
Isn't that the same in a real time game? You pick your weapon aim it at a foe (or in the case of fallout...anything) and shoot, hoping they don't move.

Retards.
:chew:
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Isn't that the same in a real time game? You pick your weapon aim it at a foe (or in the case of fallout...anything) and shoot, hoping they don't move.
Almost. In a real time game you hope they don't move while you're aiming at them. Otherwise your character is going for a walk instead of shooting.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Our Host!