PC Gamer UK Top 100 Games dealie!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PC Gamer UK Top 100 Games dealie!

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

<strong>[Game -> Update]</strong>

<b>Fenrick</b> informed me that <a href="http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/">PC Gamer UK</a> has posted their <a href="http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/features/top10 ... 1.asp">Top 100 Games</a> thing-a-mah-jig. Riding in at <b>#90</b> was <A href="http://interplay.com/fallout2/">Fallout 2</a>, which got beaten by Everquest, Star Wars Racer, Counter Strike, and a few other shit games. <a href="http://interplay.com/fallout">Fallout</a> wasn't even on the list.<blockquote>The Fallout Universe was rendered in beautiful isometric detail. This is a dirty, grimy, dangerous, toxin ridden role-playing world. Whilst it runs apace a few yards behind the mighty Baldur's Gate II, this strong sequel improved on the original in all manner of ways. The actual universe remains much the same, with you going out on a complex quest across the radiation ravaged northern California to find yourself a garden of Eden kit (no, really). There were a few frustrating, stumbling block puzzles that upset, but put some spine into it and you, like many others, will gain immeasurable pleasures from this post-apocalyptic challenge. </blockquote>Isn't that insulting. What's even funnier is they called "Planescape Torment", "PLANESCAPE TOURNAMENT".
<br>
<br><b>[Killzig's Edit]</b> please e-mail all your displeasure at <a href="mailto:matthew.pierce@futurenet.co.uk">Matthew Pierce, editor of PCGUK</a>. Oh and remember to post your angry letters plus all responses you get here in this thread.
AltraWave7
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by AltraWave7 »

Insulting...there basiclly saying that its a good game...but there also saying that only weaklings would paly because there to afraid to platy the high and might Baulder Gate!

Well i say :x wha do they know about good games!

--------------------------
Saint P said:
Isn't that insulting. What's even funnier is they called "Planescape Torment", "PLANESCAPE TOURNAMENT".

Dont you mean they called Planetscape tournament "PLANESCAPE TOURNAMENT"?
:)
---------------------------
Last edited by AltraWave7 on Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Just when I start to forget how stupid they are... it's like they're trying to remind everyone on purpose. "Hey! We're fucking retarded!"
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

They forget that Fallout spawned games like Baulders gate and Arcanum.

On a side note: counterstrike is not a shit game
One day...
Bulldog
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bulldog »

But Star Wars Racer is , and that's really the deal here.

If it's one thing that PCGamer (UK or otherwise) is good for, it patting thier own backs about every opinion they have.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

http://www.nma-fallout.com/#newsitem1028959587,68985,

A few other notes. Including Dungeon Keeper being beaten by some Game Boy game.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

"Planescape TOURNAMENT"??? :x

God damn, those british-pussies, kill 'em all!
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Looks more like Top 100 HYPE-list, typical PCG UK.

And Civilization is spelled Civilisation. :wink:

Oh and isn't it ironic the FO2 screenshot is taken from Temple of Trials, they probably haven't played it any further.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Kashluk wrote:"Planescape TOURNAMENT"??? :x

God damn, those british-pussies, kill 'em all!
AH! 8O I better hide! I'm british (Sort of)
Deathy
Regular
Regular

Post by Deathy »

I find it funny, since, the very same magazine gave Fallout a glowing review back in March 1998, that it would not make the list.
http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/games/gamefile ... tem_id=402

I also find it funny that most of the games in the top 100 lists have been made in the last few years.

It seems to be that gaming magazines are being written by ameteurs, even newbies to gaming.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Yeah, amateurs... Basically (apart from Doom which no one can forget), the "top 100"s charts are always made by idiots who can't take a stance in time and judge appropriatly. ie: When seeing even Doom, they judge by today's standards instead of when it came out...

There's some of that, but they're mostly idiots :P

[Edit]
After a simple look, it was published under the name Civilization, not Civilisation, and both spellings are fine.
Last edited by Red on Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

PCG UK is crap, that's all I got to say.

As a side note, in the year 2000 the finnish Pelit-magazine had a similiar list, Fallout series was ranked #2 or #3 (can't remember) there, hehe.
subedai

Post by subedai »

Can y'all calm down a little? What they're actually saying is quite complementary- "beautiful isometric detail", "strong sequel", "and you, like many others, will gain immeasurable pleasures from this post-apocalyptic challenge ". Yes it is a better game than the place at which they put it, and yes it is stupid (or 'fucking retarded' if you like) to compare it with Baldur's Gate 2. I havn't actually seen the top 100 list, due to my computor reckoning that the page is "criminal/illegal" (don't know what's going on there), but perhaps it's important to remember that PCG is a magazine for all types of games, not just RPG's. Not putting Fallout in the list IS wrong, but did they put sequels in? (I dunno so you can answer this for me). At least they recognised that Fallout2 is a very good game, and if you think about the no. of PC games out there, a placment of 90 is quite good from a non-RPG magazine.
I guess the bottom line that I'm trying to get to is that they recognise that F2 is a good game, and it's not their fault that they don't recognise Fallout as the best game of all time. s'probably something Psychological they picked up during childbirth, a mental aversion to nuclear war...

As for "God damn, those british-pussies, kill 'em all!", I can only hope that this was some post-modern statement relating to the whole nuclear annihilation thing. I don't have a problem with yanks spouting rubbish, or at least I don't think that one mindless american is an example of what the whole country is like. (And yes, that did mean I'm a limey)
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

subedai wrote:At least they recognised that Fallout2 is a very good game, and if you think about the no. of PC games out there, a placment of 90 is quite good from a non-RPG magazine.
Sure, but if they consider games like Star Wars Racer better than Fallouts and rank Half-Life as the best game ever, don't you think something has gone horribly wrong?
MF
Respected
Respected

Post by MF »

What I don't understand is how Half-Life can be at 1 and Counter-Strike at 5?

And Counter-Strike by HAVAS?
Sure...never mind that it was a mod created by a single person, that 2 years prior to its commercial release by havas it was the most popular FPS on the internet. More than Quake 3 and UT and Tribes combined at its peak. It's a fucking MOD! It should be part of Half-Life on the number 1 spot, simply because if it wasn't for Counter-Strike, Half-Life would have died early like it should have. (Even though I liked stuff like RPHL and Action HL)

Post by Guest »

Irritating block puzzles ?

These guys are retarded.
Anyone who couldn't figure out that puzzle in less than 5 minutes is an idiot.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Quite true, MF. If it were not for CS, Half-Life would have been passed up for other games a while ago. Half-Life was also hardly the game that brought modding into the public and published eye. Most of it started with DOOM.

There's no reason to this list at all. In fact, they have Tempest 2000, over many other damn good games. Tempest 2000, which happens to be a simplistic fucking arcade game as they go. As I remarked at NMA, they drew the entries out of a hat.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

First e-mail launched at the heathens
Baldur's Gate II at # 3 ? baHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAHHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAHA *takes a breath* LOL HAHHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Wanker.

Regards,

Killzig
heh. Will keep you posted on any replies
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

bloodbathmaster2 wrote:On a side note: counterstrike is not a shit game
It's not? Funny, I always thought it was. Being a piss poor rip of Rogue Spear pretty much qualifies it as "shit" in my book.

Being popular with l33t kiddies is also a good indication that it's a shit game.
subedai wrote:Can y'all calm down a little? What they're actually saying is quite complementary- "beautiful isometric detail", "strong sequel", "and you, like many others, will gain immeasurable pleasures from this post-apocalyptic challenge ". Yes it is a better game than the place at which they put it, and yes it is stupid (or 'fucking retarded' if you like) to compare it with Baldur's Gate 2. I havn't actually seen the top 100 list, due to my computor reckoning that the page is "criminal/illegal" (don't know what's going on there), but perhaps it's important to remember that PCG is a magazine for all types of games, not just RPG's. Not putting Fallout in the list IS wrong, but did they put sequels in? (I dunno so you can answer this for me). At least they recognised that Fallout2 is a very good game, and if you think about the no. of PC games out there, a placment of 90 is quite good from a non-RPG magazine.
They did put some games as well as their sequels on the list. System Shock and System Shock 2 were on there, for example, in two different spots. Still, Fallout 2 getting beaten out by BG2? Star Wars Racer? NETHACK?!

Nethack's a damned freeware dungeon hack that people played on VT100 terminals. Good for what it is, but better than Fallout 2?!

Judging by how high on the list things like Hostile Waters and Black & White were, it's fairly obvious they're rating the games by WHO made them, and not how good they are. Both of those were from UK developers, and neither was that spectactular. Hostile Waters was a remake of Carrier Command, mind you.

Along that line, Z: STEEL SOLDIERS is on there. Ever try that demo? It's hideous. I don't mean the graphics either, even though they were sub par for a 3D game in 1999.. The gameplay was just plain rotten. However, it beat out Fallout 2, and it was made by a UK developer.

Hell, Micro-Machines v3 was at #35! Quake 3 Arena is at a better rank than Unreal Tournament, both of which at better ranks than Fallout 2.

Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis was on there too - in a higher position than Fallout 2.

Come on, the guys who wrote this were on some hefty crack.
------------------
MF
Respected
Respected

Post by MF »

Well SP, IMO Counter-Strike didn't become shit until after beta 5.2. Which was about 2 years ago now I guess. Besides, Rogue Spear was more single player in nature. (mostly because of the crappy netcode). Counter-Strike definitely deserves to be high up in any of these things simply because of its popularity. I actually gave someone Half-Life as a birthday present just because he wanted to play Counter-Strike. Many people bought it just for that purpose.

Nevertheless, most of what made it fun was the community. After the invasion of the 1337 kiddies I stopped playing it, as did most of the people I played it with.

Personally I never cared for these top 100 kind of things. It is a very sad thing that so many people perceive this information as holy when buying their games, but there's nothing I can do about it.
Our Host!