The Case for Rational Suicide, by OldDirty/b/Tard

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

The Case for Rational Suicide, by OldDirty/b/Tard

Post by Manoil »

OldDirty/b/Tard wrote:In most cases, life is not worth living. The idea that happiness is a raison d'etre logically means that nearly everyone is unhappy (after being born a blank slate). So unhappiness is the norm -the meaning of life- and the quest for happiness is merely a by-product and not our natural condition. Looking for happiness then is not that different than looking for a good drug dealer with good drugs.

99% of human beings serve no real, 'natural' purpose or reason to keep on going through the motions whatsoever. The majority of the world's population is just the means of production by which the few attain "happiness" (altho, I don't know many truly happy rich folk).

Sure most become 'necessary' thanks to manmade things like economies -to make them work- but economies would not be necessary if there were no humans. Pretty much everything we do as humans is built around the notion of perpetuating a species -to the detriment of all others- that has not shown any proof that it deserves a place on this planet as part of the ecosystem.

All the 'good', 'worthwhile' stuff people have done -and continue to do- is only 'good' and 'worthwhile' when put into the context of the human condition/experience. Splitting the atom and curing cancer is pretty useless to every other creature on the planet.

I read a book called "The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut recently and the punchline of the story is that the entire sum of all human knowledge/achievement over thousands of years was little more than a works project by an alien race from another galaxy trying to send a message to one of their own stranded in another galaxy. The message was that they were sending help.

If only we were actually that useful.
Somehow... convincing.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

stfu Danny
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Nonsense.

Eat, fuck, sleep... I sure as hell don't see 'philosophy' in there somewhere. :chew:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Thor Kaufman wrote:stfu Danny
As always your valuable input is appreciated
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Says the guy reposting 4chan?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Re: The Case for Rational Suicide, by OldDirty/b/Tard

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Manoil wrote:
OldDirty/b/Tard wrote:In most cases, life is not worth living. The idea that happiness is a raison d'etre logically means that nearly everyone is unhappy (after being born a blank slate). So unhappiness is the norm -the meaning of life- and the quest for happiness is merely a by-product and not our natural condition. Looking for happiness then is not that different than looking for a good drug dealer with good drugs.

99% of human beings serve no real, 'natural' purpose or reason to keep on going through the motions whatsoever. The majority of the world's population is just the means of production by which the few attain "happiness" (altho, I don't know many truly happy rich folk).

Sure most become 'necessary' thanks to manmade things like economies -to make them work- but economies would not be necessary if there were no humans. Pretty much everything we do as humans is built around the notion of perpetuating a species -to the detriment of all others- that has not shown any proof that it deserves a place on this planet as part of the ecosystem.

All the 'good', 'worthwhile' stuff people have done -and continue to do- is only 'good' and 'worthwhile' when put into the context of the human condition/experience. Splitting the atom and curing cancer is pretty useless to every other creature on the planet.

I read a book called "The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut recently and the punchline of the story is that the entire sum of all human knowledge/achievement over thousands of years was little more than a works project by an alien race from another galaxy trying to send a message to one of their own stranded in another galaxy. The message was that they were sending help.

Somehow... convincing.
Somehow... emo. If you're thinking about killing yourself, Manoil, go ride a fucking bike. Chill out and deal with it. This sounds corny but if you don't have a positive attitude, you won't attract positive shit. So get positive, nigga. Don't dwell on depressing shit.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

all the lessons i needed in life i found in funkadelic albums
:chew:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Re: The Case for Rational Suicide, by OldDirty/b/Tard

Post by Manoil »

Dogmeatlives wrote:
Manoil wrote:

Somehow... convincing.
Somehow... emo. If you're thinking about killing yourself, Manoil, go ride a fucking bike. Chill out and deal with it. This sounds corny but if you don't have a positive attitude, you won't attract positive shit. So get positive, nigga. Don't dwell on depressing shit.
Relax, DML. I'm not. Can't say there weren't times in the past where I was; it's just that there is definitely some well-thought logic presented in his argument.

I mean, if an impressionable someone-- say, Rad Res-- were to follow some asswipe's bad advice, this would be the way to go. Not only because of the goal of the outcome, but because this, at least, has intricate and developed logic.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

You're not suicidal ? How disappointing. :drunk:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

i guess the main spots are

- 99%, majority. implies at least 1 is useful, so, maybe its U

- humans are just monkey men but got to this stage through tuff work and big dicks

- the unhappiness bit logic could be applied to hunger, sleep, most other biological functions and physics

- 1/4 of the argument is a book review written by someone he deems useless

etc

etc
:chew:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Blargh wrote:You're not suicidal ? How disappointing. :drunk:
Nope. I'm here to love you.
FOREVER
AND EVER
AND EVER
AND EVER
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Is OldDirty/b/Tard saying that we might as well kill ourselves because we want to be happy, and that everything we do is a faulty attempt to reach happiness? And that true happiness cannot be conceived by anyone due to our basic human nature?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Taco-Hero wrote:Is OldDirty/b/Tard saying that we might as well kill ourselves because we want to be happy, and that everything we do is a faulty attempt to reach happiness? And that true happiness cannot be conceived by anyone due to our basic human nature?
More or less. Kind of like living is a failed attempt at achieving the unachievable, and even though suicide isn't directly stated, living is obviously... "discredited."
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

said /b/tard must have never received a really nice blowjob if he thinks life is a futile quest for happiness. It's enough for me to wanna go on knowing that some time in the future i might again meet a lady who thinks im swell enough that she wants to give me some really good head. I could very possibly meet at least four or five more before i meet my maker! Thats all i need to keep going. and then there's fucking, and handjobs.... no way i could leave this world without my fair share of those things.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

and then there's fucking, and handjobs....
And donkey shows, don't forget them donkey shows.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The guy's argument is life is futile because people do things and strive to do things they enjoy. There is no logic in such a statement, and if someone offs themselves based on his advice it's good to get the trash out of the gene pool.

Most people are not rich or famous, and tend to, for all intents and purposes, exist only in the communities they are a part of. It's simple logistics - not everyone can be an actor or a rockstar. People perpetuate manmade systems, and there's nothing wrong with that. Seems like this guy would rather be a pre-scientific hunter-gatherer than sit in a comfortable living room playing an Xbox while eating a microwave burrito. Something tells me he's too much of a pussy to live without all the manmade systems, though.

Also, how good could his pseudo-philosophical rambling be if he doesn't believe it himself? Because if he really believed that, instead of going emo on the internet, he'd pull the trigger already.

There is no logic here, Danny. Just a 15 year old whining under the veneer of a serious tone.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

If you are religious then you live a good life in order to go to heaven. This is pretty much the reasoning with the church and most other religions yes?

Motivation to live.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

I can't take it seriously.

In context he has a somewhat interesting point, when he's looking at humanity as a whole, where the small pleasures are irrelevant and where we as a united race aren't achieving enough compared to... a fictional race or rather the hopes, dreams and imaginations of our best and brightest.

I don't have a worldly enough knowledge or interest to state facts about humanity and how far we've come, but it seems to me that we're stuck in bureaucracy, difference of religion/opinion and the dealings of petty heads of state.

Global unification, a healthy level of treatment for all(there must always be incentive for others to strive for more), united efforts to improve technological and medical advances and exploration of space are goals that would make life seem more interesting for all, yes? (Space, because frankly the idea of our race being stuck on this planet until we blow up scares the shit out of me.)

As long as we're stuck in a race trying to get out on top, humanity might seem glum and depressing to some.

But I'm mostly satisfied with a homecooked meal and just getting by. Until I see a window of possibility to do a huge difference, I'm content not recycling, buying ecological produce, seperating trash or anything else that might help the enviroment.
:lazy:

Why should I?
Testicular Pugilist
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

MR Snake wrote:If you are religious then you live a good life in order to go to heaven. This is pretty much the reasoning with the church and most other religions yes?
Protestants believe that Jesus died for your sins, so it doesn't matter how good/bad life you live, as long as you repent and voilá! You're in heaven. :chew: There is no hell, either. So it's either heaven or.... nothing?

Hindus believe in reincarnation and nirvana. No heaven.

For Buddhists hell is a temporary place, where you can work yourself upwards.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

No, trust me, protestants believe there is hell. Baptist churches scream nothing but about hellfire and how you'll go there if you don't repent and lead a life so straight and narrow you couldn't even be human.
Our Host!