Duck and Cover Forum Index

Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 On choices and gameplay in RPGs View next topic
View previous topic
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Update ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't really play Fallout 3 without engaging in combat quite a few times. Hell, Mothership Zeta is basically all combat and no roleplaying. Why can't you play through the game, like in Fallout, without pulling a single trigger? It's not like it's a hard thing to do in terms of game design. Take Chris Avellone's upcoming action RPG Alpha Protocol. Chris just posted this update this morning:

[I have] confirmation you can progress through Alpha Protocol without killing anyone in the game.

So if a game where you're a covert CIA agent being hunted by the government requires no killing, why can't Fallout?

Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Killing is cool.

Tell me Dutch, when does 'Alpha Protocol' (the upcoming Action RPG from one of the fallout creators) come to stores? How exciting.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

October 6, apparently.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dutch wrote:
[ Game -> Update ]So if a game where you're a covert CIA agent being hunted by the government requires no killing, why can't Fallout?

Because aside from level designers and artists, Bethesda doesn't have a talented game designer on their payroll.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The dialogue system appears to be somewhat retarded. tard

"Conversations occur in real-time, giving the player a limited amount of time to respond at key "decision points" during dialogue. The dialog system in the game - known as the "DSS" or Dialogue Stance system - allows the player to choose from three different attitudes when speaking to an NPC. Obsidian has said that these options are based on the personalities of the "three J.B.'s": Jason Bourne of the Bourne Identity novels and films, James Bond of the eponymous film and book series, and Jack Bauer of the television series 24, although the game itself does not use these names. During dialog sequences, the player will be able to choose from options like "professional" (Jason Bourne), "suave" (James Bond), and "aggressive" (Jack Bauer). Each NPC will react differently to these choices; one character might be intimidated by an aggressive stance, but another character may find an aggressive stance to be insulting or childish." -Wikipedia

= Mass Effect dialogue but with time limit
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jack Bauer Forever. maybe jim bean for those special moments shared;
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actors that drink are the best.
Kashluk
Grand MF
Grand MF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Megatron wrote:
jim bean for those special moments shared

Quoted for emphasis.

And maybe some James Brown when you feel groovy?
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Or some Japanese Brown-eye for when you're just bored of trannies?

I'm sorry, i really didn't add to the conversation at all there did I icon_sad
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

get lost freshman, this is the thread for making choices based on the big 3 J's (biker gang slang)

Redeye
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yonmanc wrote:
Or some Japanese Brown-eye for when you're just bored of trannies?

Genotyping of five single nucleotide polymorphisms in the OCA2 and HERC2 genes associated with blue-brown eye color in the Japanese population:

Human eye color is a polymorphic phenotype influenced by multiple genes. It has recently been reported that three single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) within intron 1 of the OCA2 gene (rs7495174, rs4778241, rs4778138) and two SNPs in intron 86 (rs12913832) and the 3 UTR region (rs1129038) of the HERC2 gene - located in the upstream of the OCA2 locus - have a high statistical association with human eye color. The present study is the first to examine in detail the genotype and haplotype frequencies for these five SNPs in an Asian (Japanese) population (n = 523) comprising solely brown-eyed individuals. Comparison of the genotype and haplotype distributions in Japanese with those in African and European subjects revealed significant differences between Japanese and other populations. Analysis of haplotypes consisting of four SNPs at the HERC2-OCA2 locus (rs12913832/rs7495174/rs4778241/rs4778138) showed that the most frequent haplotype in the Japanese population is A-GAG (0.568), while the frequency of this haplotype is rather low in the European population, even in the brown-eyed group (0.167). The haplotype distribution in the Japanese population was significantly different from that in the brown-eyed European group (FST = 0.18915).
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's pretty impressive that you can complete it without killing anyone especially since it has a lot of bosses and shit it seems. Most of it will probably be stealth but you often don't hear about that in RPGs anymore.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

haha, Stealth in Fallout 3....

Well, i was about to write a topic just like this. I strongly agree that fallout 3 is unplayable without killing or getting involved in combat sitruations. Not to mention, you can't really run, because they will follow you. all of the DLC REVOLVES around fucking killing someone. Not that i have anything against killing or anything, but that is exactly my point. The player should not have to kill anyone, and not just running around in stealth or running through crowds dodging enemies. There was not a single friendly supermutant, besides Fawkes (is he a girl btw, sometimes i cant tell.), that had any importance. Even Fawkes was irrelevant, only useful to store things and for combat.
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

After beating Fallout 3 I tried making a more stealthy character and tried not to kill anyone... but I failed...

Oh and there was also Uncle Leo, but he was even more useless.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, yeah. But I think at this point, we can agree in the failure of Beth's FO3 and move on.

As for what's in the near-future, 'm still hopeful for Singularity-- much of it is unoriginal in concept, but it's got enough different features that it makes it interesting to conceive. A Gravity-Gun-esque glove that allows you to reverse or accelerate aging on virtually anything? Sci-Fi/Horror with touches of Cold War themes? I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster and about to vomit, and yet, I'm completely content.

And apparently they're remaking Wolfenstein? wtf?

The main RPG I'm eager to hear from is Diablo III, but they haven't had much in the way of updates in a while. Lame.
SenisterDenister
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It looks like WoW. Fucking retarded.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Diablo III? Not really-- if only mildly. Graphics look a step up from WoW and the camera remains classic isometric. That, and it's not an MMORPG that has millions of players simultaneously doing the same fucking thing and parading around in the misconception that it's canonical to the series story.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

is is that it looks like WoW that makes it retarded? Or you just dont like the game? (either?)
SenisterDenister
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The game is supposed to be dark and gritty, they're wearing the cartoony WoW armor and there's fucking rainbows off in the distance.

Fucking retarded.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What fucking qualifies as cartoony for you?

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic