The Origins of The Unwashed Villagers & their Conflict with Grim Reaper: The Original Interplay Forums.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
TheKingofVault14
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

The Origins of The Unwashed Villagers & their Conflict with Grim Reaper: The Original Interplay Forums.

Post by TheKingofVault14 »

Here's a cool throwback!

Remember the fact that the Special Encounter in Fallout 2 of The Unwashed Villagers killing the spammer Grim is based on a true story right? Which took place in the OG Interplay Forums back in the day, have you ever wondered if you could still see those posts? Well you're in luck, because thanks to The Hanged Man from the UV Forums who originally found & posted this on a thread, went on the Wayback Machine and found that exact forum! So if you want to see how it all started with the Unwashed Villagers, & their conflict with Grim Reaper, plus really the Early Days of The Internet. Here's the link to it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000915094 ... hive9.html

Enjoy!

Oh also, check out TriangleCity's video discussing this topic, he did a pretty good job covering this old story here:
https://youtu.be/bnGfZHtwSCc?si=ijtRsB3Zkq7Jnhck

:) :thumbsup:
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: The Origins of The Unwashed Villagers & their Conflict with Grim Reaper: The Original Interplay Forums.

Post by Hyacinth »

That's fun. Like reading papyrus rolls
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: The Origins of The Unwashed Villagers & their Conflict with Grim Reaper: The Original Interplay Forums.

Post by Gimp Mask »

they're still active by the way, www.unwashed.eu
if my memory serves me right, for a period of time in the early 00s they were hosted by vault13.net; there's another throwback rabbit hole for you if you're into that kinda stuff
Echo
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Echo »

Blast from the past! Exploring those early 00s websites can be quite the nostalgic journey.
TheKingofVault14
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Gimp Mask wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:48 pm they're still active by the way, www.unwashed.eu
if my memory serves me right, for a period of time in the early 00s they were hosted by vault13.net; there's another throwback rabbit hole for you if you're into that kinda stuff
Well, since you mentioned it Gimp...

Here's Vault13.net during the Fallout Tactics era! Around the time when it was just released:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010405090 ... 13.net:80/

:) :thumbsup:
Echo
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Echo »

I spotted over at DAC that Gaming Age has done a review of Fallout Tactics. It's a bit short, but they rewarded the game with a B rating. Here's a text clip:

For example there are many situations where your primary mission goal could be made easier but it would be at the cost of innocent lives. Since the Brotherhood is always looking for recruits it is a good idea to save the innocents and gain some approval. Yet, getting to your objective would be a whole lot easier with those five turrets out of the way, you might even save a few lives in your own group.

:lol:
Echo
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Echo »

biggest thanks must go to several people listed in no particular order: Greg, Scuz, Kreegle, Cuong, Dan Wood, Saint Proverbius, XLA, Miroslav, Moonbiter, IT_ILL_FLY, The artists formerly known as Mars, Killian, Chris Taylor, Krazi Katt, the entire Microforte team and too many others who I'm probably forgetting (like all the Gamespy people I harassed against Kreegle's wishes).

:fire:
Echo
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Echo »

Way Back Machine is Kool. Here's what George said about his broadband Internet back in - 01
"@Home is the best thing
to happen to my computer
since electricity. All of the
Internet hype is finally realized.
I no longer debate downloading
huge files, or viewing video clips.
You have succeeded in
making the Internet a very
pleasurable experience for
me and my wife.

George P."
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

good little snippets :salute:
TheKingofVault14
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I'm glad you guys are enjoying yourselves looking through these old websites/message boards! And you know, I'm something of an archivist myself.

:)
Echo
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Echo »

Whether you're professionally involved in archiving or pursue it as a hobby, it's a valuable and rewarding endeavor.
TheKingofVault14
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Echo wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:14 am Whether you're professionally involved in archiving or pursue it as a hobby, it's a valuable and rewarding endeavor.
Just a hobby Echo, and really it's about preserving & sharing all the stories from The Interplay Era/The Original Generation of the Fallout Fandom, where it all began and where came from, because sadly it's been kinda lost & forgotten. Plus since the New Generation Fallout Fans (like me) came after Fallout 3's release, a lot of them don't know and for some, really care about the OG days. So that's why I'm doing stuff like this, for those curious like me to remember & know about the OG Fallout days before it hit the mainstream gaming spotlight!

B)
Echo
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Echo »

Preserving the history and stories of the original generation of the Fallout fandom is a valuable endeavor. It's important to remember and document the roots of any cultural or fan community, especially when it has such a rich history.

You're not only keeping the memory of the OG Fallout days alive also It's a great way to bridge the gap between generations of fans and ensure that the history is not lost or forgotten.

Your dedication to this hobby is commendable, and it's sure to be appreciated by fellow Fallout enthusiasts.
TheKingofVault14
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Echo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:26 am Preserving the history and stories of the original generation of the Fallout fandom is a valuable endeavor. It's important to remember and document the roots of any cultural or fan community, especially when it has such a rich history.

You're not only keeping the memory of the OG Fallout days alive also It's a great way to bridge the gap between generations of fans and ensure that the history is not lost or forgotten.

Your dedication to this hobby is commendable, and it's sure to be appreciated by fellow Fallout enthusiasts.
Exactly Echo, that's exactly one of the other reasons why I'm doing this, there's a generational gap between the two era's of fans. So I think this is a way to mend them together, even for so little, it's something you know. Better than nothing!

:)
Echo
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Echo »

gOOD <3 💀
Our Host!