Stuck in a rut

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Shitheap
SDF!
SDF!

Stuck in a rut

Post by Shitheap »

I've been playing Fallout and Fallout 2 again recently, but I've found myself just beating them the same way over and over again. I'm too stupid and indecisive to come up with my own ideas, so does anybody have any thoughts on what might make an interesting challenge game?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Play exclusively with your tongue. :drunk:
Shitheap
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shitheap »

Blargh wrote:Play exclusively with your tongue. :drunk:
With the number of people who've used my keyboard, and how long I've had it, I'd be lucky to get through that without contracting some sort of terminal illness. Great!
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Human history is rife with individuals who, when confronted with their impending expiry date, discovered new virtues ; both their own, and those of their path.

And then died.

<strike>It is also rife with those who, when confronted, broke threefold and vanished ignominiously.

And then died.</strike>

Conclusion : Terminal illness is exciting and a sure catalyst for Good Things® unless you are a craven bitch.

One day THEY shall sell ebola in foil packaging by the SEA. :drunk:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Tag Doctor, First Aid, either Traps or Outdoorsman. (flip a coin)

S 6
P 7
E 10
C 2
I 6
A 8
L 1

Traits: Drug Resistant, Drug Reliant.

Your Endurance and First Aid/Doctor skills will help compensate for the awful Luck score.

Remember: run away! run away!

The P7 is so you can enhance it then get Sharpshooter if you decide later in the game that you hate sucking at combat.

Charisma 2 allows having a companion without needing the extra companion perk.

Agility 8 because you're going to be running away a lot.

Use drugs a lot!

Drink booze a lot, too.

Wasteoid build.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Not sure if I like Redeye's so much, I think it requires too much "personal roleplay", as opposed to what the game feeds you, however I've always thought about playing a character that focuses heavily on drugs (except for Psycho, I use that a lot anyway).

You can get quite a bit of a different experience if you just play through the game with different weapon skills, i.e. first time I played a melee / energy weapons build, it was very fun.

However, normally I just take a break from the game for a couple of months and then come back to it (still have to check out the latest Restoration Project, you do have that installed right?)
Shitheap
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shitheap »

Yeah, I have the Restoration Project. Maybe I should check out the quest with Sulik's sister.. I never bothered with Sulik because he irritates me and also the first time I played I gave him a submachine gun.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

The first time I played I hit Sulik with a crowbar just to see what he would do. I knocked him flat on his a$$. The whole town turned violent towards me, except sulik, he joined up with me and started smashing the townsfolk with his big hammer. I have never been able to recreate that awesome glitch again.

Moral of the story... Sulik is a nice guy so you should give him a chance.

I love you shitheap.
:hug:
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

My advice is to kill children. You never know when it'll work out for you.

In Fallout 1 at about level 2 or 3 I offed a brat accidentally. Bounty hunters came after me, the minions were punks but the lead dude was armed for bear.

Well, I shot him in the crotch, knocked him out, looted his shit then ran my little legs off. Random shots from the junior hunters almost killed me, but that combat shotgun and combat armor set me up for a lot of good early levels.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Redeye wrote:Charisma 2 allows having a companion without needing the extra companion perk
Or leave it at one and get the darkshades to buff your charisma to 2 whenever you want to recruit someone.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

I found that if Sulik gets scared and won't help in the Gecko Caves (lower level), just kick him out of the party and he will come to your defense when you are attacked.

AI sploits FTW.

Maybe higher Charisma/speech/etc. will give you conversation options to convince him "legally".
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Try playing the biggest, baddest, dumbest, most drugged up, slaving, child-killing mofucka in the wasteland.

..but he has a heart of gold. :chick:
Shitheap
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shitheap »

I've been trying to play as a post-apocalyptic George Metesky. But sadly, it's really hard to find uses for explosives in Fallout 2 beyond blowing doors open. It would have been better if explosives had larger blast radii or could set each other off so you could chain them together.. I had an idea of dealing with the Slavers via controlled demolition of their building but dynamite is apparently indestructible.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Shitheap wrote:I've been trying to play as a post-apocalyptic George Metesky. But sadly, it's really hard to find uses for explosives in Fallout 2 beyond blowing doors open. It would have been better if explosives had larger blast radii or could set each other off so you could chain them together.. I had an idea of dealing with the Slavers via controlled demolition of their building but dynamite is apparently indestructible.
You could try reverse pickpocket on all of the slavers, or in the various containers in the building.

Too much reloading with that strategy.
Remember to use lockpick to lock the doors so they can't escape.

Alternative: use your party members as suicide bombers.
Put ticking bombs in their inventory, the tell them to "wait right here until I come back".

Position them around the slaver building near groups of enemies, perhaps dose them up with psycho/etc.

Also- use jet on all of the slavers then advance time so it wears off and they are in withdrawal. Also try getting them drunk- right before setting the bombs in your teammates.

1. jet on slavers/wait for withrawal
2. Dose your guys with drugs
3. get slavers drunk
4. plant ticking explosives in party members inventories
5. profit

note: don't save/reload during this process as it messes up the timers

The game will probably crash from the explosives, so you will have to have a save right before Step 1.

Keep trying.

Take screenshots while standing by windows.
ntMurkster
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ntMurkster »

Try playing a stupid character(low intelligence<3 i think) like in Per Jorner's walkthrough
ntMurkster
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ntMurkster »

Its tough but fun, and you can use drugs (mentats) to activate some quests that normally a stupid character couldnt
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Try taking some of that shit to fix your grammar.
ntMurkster
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ntMurkster »

My bad, i didnt know this was fuckin english class
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

welcome to the school of shut the fuck up and stop the necrophilia.
...signatures? WTF?
ntMurkster
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ntMurkster »

Haha was waitin for it.
Our Host!