Broken Steel Fixed for PC

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Broken Steel Fixed for PC

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong>

They pulled the release from Windows Live to fix it and now its up again. The wait is over and now you can buy it. Click <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58528" target="_self">here</a> for the article.
<p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.shacknews.com">Shacknews</a></p>
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Has anyone actually bothered to play it? I can tell if its the same retards saying how good it is (although the new perks look fucking stupid :shock:), or if its the same people who thought the last two DLC's were balls.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

It is head and shoulders better than the other two. It doesn't feel completely out of place, it has a cohesive narrative and someone finally realized that CHALLENGE can actually IMPROVE gameplay. There are some hairy moments and it isn't a weapons pack disgused as a story add-on. This is the only DLC they have released that has felt fully realized.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I've heard that from someone who hated the computer simulation (whateverTF it was called) and thought the PITT was okay for being a roundabout way of giving you a chainsaw.

They just bought BS (heh heh) and said they've only played it for an hour or so, but it added a bunch of sidequests and made them remember what it was like to actually have to "dodge" (i.e. sidestep charging mutants) because they couldn't take everything down in one VATS round
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Broken... fucking... Steel.

Let it be kept in perspective that I was one of the only notable members, if not THE ONLY notable member who gave Beth even an inch of rope with FO3. I tried to see things in their perspective, but apparently, I was really just too kind to them.
Granted, there were a few details I found enjoyable in the game; a couple new perks were nice, such as the ability to have Dogmeat reborn at Vault 101 anytime he dies, or the ability to combine 10 Nuka-Colas for one Quantum (not exactly sensible for realism but still working as a positive addition to gameplay). The problem is, several of these perks would be better to have if they were available in earlier levels. I also liked that they added the ability to hijack Enclave Deathclaws, if only in the vicinity of their camps. I pushed and complained to that end, and it's nice to see they listened... to a reasonable extent. It also pleases me that they added the new enemies and items to be used widespread, and not just in one location, as the Pitt had done.

What annoys me is the changes they made to numerous preexisting things, as well as how they delivered.
First and foremost that I noticed is Colonel Autumn's Laser Pistol. Prior to the BS DLC, it was one of the strongest weapons in the game, with full-auto firing and high damage. Understandably so, considering it was supposed to be a boss weapon, or rather, the weapon of the final boss. Post-download, the weapon becomes no more powerful or versatile than a basic laser pistol. It's complete bullshit. Adding on weight to it is understandable, but taking the weapon of a significant enemy, or rather, a high-ranking Enclave commander and making it complete bitch status? What the fuck is wrong with you, Beth?

Not only that, but there are a few new glitches involved with locations where new things have been added on, notably the entrance to Rivet City. I encountered serious lag in the area, as well as noticed that the caravan traders have become problematic. They wouldn't seem to leave the areas where they showed up last, and even then, they only added to the lag.

What really fucking got me was how the story continues-- after playing the credits and hearing Ron Pearlman speak his trademark line, when the game reaches its climax thanks to his lines, the screen fades to black, and then slowly says, "TWO WEEKS LATER..." As if it wasn't fucking insulting enough to him to just pretend what he said meant nothing, you just keep grinding away with a couple new quests to take care of. And after it's all done? No more Vertibird troop deployments. Only sending you out to kill muties and find cameras and sensor modules for cash, so they can work on rebuilding the fucking wreck.

Broken Steel had the opportunity to be something that saved the game. Instead, it adds on a couple cute things but ends up pissing you off even more. I'm writing Pete Hines ASAP, whether or not he even gives enough of a shit to read it.
Our Host!