I'm new to all this

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

I'm new to all this

Post by Lynxer »

Hey,

I have been looking to get a grip of the editor for quite some time. today alone i spent countless hours trying to find out how to operate it.
I read the Readme file that came with the editor but have not found the content to be very helpful.

What i have done so far is decompressing all of the .Bos files located in the core folder so i have all of the required entities and tiles at my disposal.

This, sadly, is as far as i have come. Im stuck at the point where i have to upload tiles onto the map to shape its environment. One of the tabs says "load 'tileset' (tse files)". What are these and where are they to be found. All files that are related to the editor are either of .til/.spr or .ent format.

I have done some research on this in hope of finding all this out myself, but i failed. Im sorry to bother you with this but im really looking forward to learning some more about creating random missions.

Thanks in advance.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I don't understand tilesets much myself, so I can't help ya out there.

However, you don't really need to use tilesets. Tilesets are. as the name suggests, sets of tiles that you can "load" real quickly.

I.e. If you hold Shift and click on tiles, those tiles are "loaded" for random placement. Tilesets are basically lists of tiles that have been "Shift+clicked."

Like I said, I don't understand 'em myself, but I'm hardly stuck because of it :D
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Many thanks.

As i lack experience im bound to ask silly questions.

There must be something i need to do prior to the placement of random Tiles/entities etc. Isnt there supposed to appear a list of .til files after clicking tiles? All it does now is show an empty black rectangle.

So, basically im looking for a way to load tiles. Can someone tell me how?
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Well, if you have already decompressed tiles_0.bos the tiles should now reside in a new directory under core named "tiles" obviously! Make sure they are there and you should have all their subdirectories show up when you press 'F2'in the level editor. They should be on the left side of the screen.

Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

K, all works well now.

Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Another minor thing that concerns me. Whenever i place walls on top of a floor at lvl one the floor laying within the walls circumference tends to show of at the outside of the building. This however is a mere 10th of the tiles entire lenght.
this seems to happen exclusively with wooden walls. The fact wooden walls have a little space left open between the lower edge and the surface of the floor might explain it. Ive been messing around a little with the walls trying to solve this, but their current position seems to be best. If i move them the roof wont fit so i reckon they're best in their present shape.

Could someone plz tell me?
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah, some of the pieces don't fit together all that well. I think one of the things on my list is to mdofy some floor and roof tiles to give a few different size options.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Hmm, i found out what troubled me. I had the floor tiles set on lvl 0 in stead of 1, which isnt a problem an sich, yet it shows off things a little differently.
floor -1 / walls 0 solves it.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Lynxer wrote:Hmm, i found out what troubled me. I had the floor tiles set on lvl 0 in stead of 1, which isnt a problem an sich, yet it shows off things a little differently.
floor -1 / walls 0 solves it.
You might find that ground floor at 0 and walls at 1 is better, mate, especially when you start making multi-story (sp?) buildings. I find with this set-up, it's easier to use the multi-coloured level-indicator to the right of the screen as a visual aid.

Steve :)
Our Host!