FO3 Usermods (many compatible with New Vegas)

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

I agree. I liked Tactics (although didn't bother finishing it), but the armour kept bugging me throughout the entire game. Despite the fact it's too far removed from the reto-futurism of the first two installments, it also looks like the faggyist piece of queer anime shit I've ever seen in a western RPG. I kept waiting for the defining moment jet packs would lift them into the air during battle, whilst they talked about how much more powerful they'd gotten since series 3, despite saying in series 3 that the level they were at then was the highest anyone could ever reach....

I know, I know

Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

The torso-downward looks fairly retro. The head looks like a demon/insect. ATM, I'm looking at this attempt and feeling concerned; I replied in a thread concerning this very issue, saying that someone could boost the polycount on the Tactics PA model that was made for Unreal Tourney 2004, but I think the FO3 screenshots are the UT model almost directly imported.
Gentlemen, I believe I may have influenced the creation of this very mod-- though I'm not entirely happy with the outcome, and my suggestion wasn't entirely followed.

Whatever. Moving on.

I will agree that the teamcolor rags were a bit of an extraneous aesthetic addition, as were the chains on the shoulderpad. I still, however, stand by the idea that Tactic's APA looks more menacing and by extension more worthy of the Fallout title than FO3 Enclave's APA.

Either way, this would be worth more discussion down the road, at the point where the model is actually of considerably higher polycount.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The thing that irks me about Tactics armor is it shouldn't exist. The midwest Brotherhood, logically, should be using T51b for the basic power armor and the Enclave advanced as an upgrade.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

It always seemed to me like the Tactics armor was a combination of the Enclave and T-51b, and I always rationalized it by thinking they just threw old suits together when they wouldn't work anymore and they would piece them together into what we know as the Tactics Armor, and eventually as more and more suits were worn out all they had left through their repairs were the armor we see in Tactics.

Not exactly "built" in the sense that it was all from the ground up like most people think, but I think it would still fit within the information given to us.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Yeah, that sounds kind parallel to my perspective on the whole situation. I do agree with you, Ret; logically, it shouldn't be there. I still maintain that Tactics was largely unfinished and while technically in a state of arguable/disputable canon, would be easier to embrace had it had more time for completion.

Nonetheless, the armor exists. VB was suggesting that it was a civilian model starting production just as the Great War came about, which would sort of make sense if the Enclave --fleeing East-- needed to reproduce more armor at less material expense, found/dug up the designs, adapted them, and put them into production. It would explain the similarities between Tactics' APA and FO3's APA.

Either way, Anything above a T-45d would be considerably stronger, and in FO3's terms, should have virtually unlimited CND (like the Winterized T-51b, which I only despise because of the fuckugly decals slathered upon it). T-45ds not only had the retarded battery consumption, but their design as well makes it difficult to consider them durable pieces of combat armor. More often than not, it appears they've been constructed of junk scrap.

If I can get the necessary hardware, software, and program understanding, I intend on making a respectable version of the Tactics APA (along with FoT's Humanoid Robots, which, while a fairly bland concept and of somewhat questionable design, were a considerable threat in terms of sheer force and adaptability). Should it come within my grasp, I'd remove the TC flags and add in the small aesthetic details, like armor scratches and walking sound, that make the FO3 incarnation of FO2 Enclave APA so impressive.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

updated
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

updated
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Might be useful to say what you added to the list?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

True. Added new vault template pieces for people making their own maps, a receding hairline hairstyle, and a new and fairly respectable version of Midwest BoS power armor.

Might consider doing that from now on when only a few links are added
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

a receding hairline sure does make fo3 less shitty and more bearable :chew:
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Or at least gives it some variety.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

updated

Usually-fatal headshots, Traits, Portable Beartraps, Solar Charger, City Killer Shotgun, New Skill point system (includes double growth on tagged skills), Tesla Armor (Original), Classic FO Hitpoint System,
Gimp Mask wrote:a receding hairline sure does make fo3 less shitty and more bearable :chew:
I only add in what looks good from the local selection of things I find. The hair style looked very Mad Max/ Withered and Grody, so it seemed an appropriate addition.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

perhaps someone should make a gritty mad max beard mod, it would definitely make the game more beardable ;) :rofl:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

...you... you're good, you
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Manoil wrote:...you... you're good, you
qf sddcfnagsdfgksxdgucfkngxwa
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Flerbin. Gnorsh morguh' maargin wiltch.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Ray_Rogers
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ray_Rogers »

Are there any "in-lore" specific mods to be recommended? For the mods I'm going with higher rez textures but no modern weapons bullshit. Going to keep the alternate divergent reality in check.
Also having the 100 more Songs for GNR I think is recommended.
I love the retro-futurism of the series.
Any which greatly expand the map and makes the gameplay area far larger? IN-UNIVERSE/REALITY, please.
No bullshit like Fellout.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Consider browsing the list yourself. The first section is all about content specifically from/relative to the first games.

Also, GNR, as the point was made by Catman, is less tasteful and draws from the feeling of isolation supposedly included in the Fallout title.

None that expand the capital wasteland map, only add to it or add new areas that can be traveled to via doors/etc.

List does not include Fellout, last I checked
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Our Host!