Gothic series

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Gothic series

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Never played it... Are any of them worth my time?
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

How much is your time worth?
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Gothic I - very old school, very hard to get into unless you're patient, very rewarding, nice story and atmosphere, nice gameplay (although painfully h-a-r-d)

Gothic II - simpler, bigger, shinier.

Gothic III - pretty much the Fallout 3 equivelant of the Gothic universe. Made less worthless by the huge community mod packs that actually make some of the skills previously unavailable unlocked, add quests, fix bugs etc.

Gothic: Forsaken Gods - imagine if they made a MMO-version out of Fallout (Wasteland Merc), then dumbed it down to make it playable on DS, then converted it back on PC, but decided half-way through not to finish building the game, but still publish it.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I like them all. The first one was just fantastic, and I did get into the second one for a while. I did like Gothic III, but I admit it was not nearly as good as the first two.

If you can find them in a pack for around $10, get it. Otherwise, just download.

Honestly, I've never heard of Gothic: Forsaken Gods. I sort of stopped playing games after the disappointment with Spore.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The reviewers / critics at "Every game is worth at least 6.0" - Gamespot gave it an average of 3.7 (out of 10). The "official" IGN review gave it 3.5.

I too was horribly disappointed with Spore. But life goes on.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Sounds like a waste of money.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Kashluk wrote:Gothic I - very old school, very hard to get into unless you're patient, very rewarding, nice story and atmosphere, nice gameplay (although painfully h-a-r-d)

Gothic III - pretty much the Fallout 3 equivelant of the Gothic universe. Made less worthless by the huge community mod packs that actually make some of the skills previously unavailable unlocked, add quests, fix bugs etc.

Gothic: Forsaken Gods - imagine if they made a MMO-version out of Fallout (Wasteland Merc), then dumbed it down to make it playable on DS, then converted it back on PC, but decided half-way through not to finish building the game, but still publish it.
Gothic: Forsaken Gods - never heard of this one. Gotta check it out I guess.

spokomptonjdub - I think that Gothic I and II are some of my favourite games of all time. My computer was too shit to handle 3 when it came out so I never really got into it, but I know that it is very subpar to the predecessors.

I would suggest that you play Gothic I in the beginning. You will love it and when you finish it and fire up G2 you will realize that it's the dog's bollocks - everything that they could really have done better in G1 has been improved in G2. Fucking fantastic games and like Kashluk said, very rewarding. Exploration is fun and not a grind, as level scaling is quite good and most of the areas are unlocked progressively as you get stronger. The combat is fun, one of my favourites actually, but as aforesaid, quite difficult. Storyline is fantastic, perhaps the best fantasy setting I've ever played (except maybe PS:T). You can play as either melee or caster (you also have bow and crossbow skills but those aren't really all that useful).
When you get G2, be sure to get the expansion pack - The Night of the Raven. Downside - it makes a difficult game even more difficult. Advantages - plenty of new content to explore, a full new sidequest, etc. Great game, you put in the hours and you will be rewarded by an amazing experience.

Like Kashluk said, the Gothic games are extremely difficult, especially for starters. I've played through both games at least 5 times each so I know quite a thing or two about them. If you are interested, I can post you some additional information to get started, how to survive the first few hours of gameplay, what kind of addons to install, etc. This series fucking rules, get it now.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Kashluk wrote:Gothic: Forsaken Gods
Made by the team behind "Streets of Mumbai".
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Double Post. :aiee:
Last edited by St. Toxic on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Kashluk wrote:Gothic I - very old school, very hard to get into unless you're patient, very rewarding, nice story and atmosphere, nice gameplay (although painfully h-a-r-d)

Gothic: Forsaken Gods - never heard of this one. Gotta check it out I guess.

spokomptonjdub - I think that Gothic I and II are some of my favourite games of all time. My computer was too shit to handle 3 when it came out so I never really got into it, but I know that it is very subpar to the predecessors.

I would suggest that you play Gothic I in the beginning. You will love it and when you finish it and fire up G2 you will realize that it's the dog's bollocks - everything that they could really have done better in G1 has been improved in G2. Fucking fantastic games and like Kashluk said, very rewarding. Exploration is fun and not a grind, as level scaling is quite good and most of the areas are unlocked progressively as you get stronger. The combat is fun, one of my favourites actually, but as aforesaid, quite difficult. Storyline is fantastic, perhaps the best fantasy setting I've ever played (except maybe PS:T). You can play as either melee or caster (you also have bow and crossbow skills but those aren't really all that useful).
When you get G2, be sure to get the expansion pack - The Night of the Raven. Downside - it makes a difficult game even more difficult. Advantages - plenty of new content to explore, a full new sidequest, etc. Great game, you put in the hours and you will be rewarded by an amazing experience.

Like Kashluk said, the Gothic games are extremely difficult, especially for starters. I've played through both games at least 5 times each so I know quite a thing or two about them. If you are interested, I can post you some additional information to get started, how to survive the first few hours of gameplay, what kind of addons to install, etc. This series fucking rules, get it now.
Torrenting the original now... I'll let you know if it kicks my shit in, then I might be asking for some help :drunk:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Gothic is one of those games that really needs to be patched or the bugs will make you destroy your computer. Get hold of the 1.08h patch (I think that the ones that follow that one, like 1.08k are for graphics only, I'll look into this a little more since it's been a while since I played it). Make sure you get the English version.

In addition, there is a set of fan made graphics that greatly increases the look of the world, to be pretty much on par with the look of G2. I'll see if I can also dig those up.

edit: ok so, from what I've been reading, most versions of Gothic now come with the patch 1.08h installed. This is vital. If you don't have it, start digging or don't bother playing.

Install the textures patch:
http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=121

Whenever you get some bug or glitch, visit this place. Bugs in Gothic are numerous and frequent, however how to solve most of them has been added to this FAQ.
http://www.piranha-bytes.com/gothic1/go ... q_eng.html

For mostly general tips, visit:
www.worldofgothic.com

As a starter, do some simple exploration, stay away from anything that is not a molerat or a scavenger. Those can be defeated easily, wait for them to attack and as they start the movement just hit them, so CONTOL + UP/RIGHT/LEFT doesn't really matter, whatever suits you best. In the beginning, your weapon skills are so shit that just stick to swinging LEFT/RIGHT in a rotation. Pick up everything, keep plants and stuff to heal yourself. Sell the rest. Learning points are few and far imbetween, so choose your skills carefully. When you actually start playing, I'll tell you what to pick to make the first playthrough a little bit less frustrating.
coolman95
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by coolman95 »

urg, i read this review and it sounds like they suck. better stay clear of the,m
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

You can read? :?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

You can really screw up your Gothic game. But it's soooo rewarding when you actually manage to build a real killer character, who laughs in the face of dangers that used to be total death-traps earlier in the game.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I liek swoards!
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I think bladed hats might be a soon-recurring fad. Oddjob had some hot shit workin' for him.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Why are there no women in Gothic, though?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

There are in Gothic 3. About two or so, I think.

This is the world of MEN and LEDERHOSEN :che:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Uhaghahaghahghagh wrote:MEN and LEDERHOSEN and MITOSIS and/or BINARY FISSION :che:
Fixeded. :drunk:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Our Host!