Occupation Thread

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Bridgeburner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Bridgeburner »

I'm an Account Manager at an academic bookseller. Which means I order and ship books for a bunch of universities and institutes around Europe and Africa. Which means I sit behind a computer five days a week mostly checking DACK.

Four evenings a week I study graphic design at the art academy in my homecity. Which I enjoy very much, because of all the hot babes and crazy parties.

In my spare time I run a little graphic design company with my two very best buddies, which can be found here.

Live hard and die old is my motto. My favourite animal is a giraffe and I spend a lot of time thinking about submarines and marching bands. I hope in my lifetime we will achieve world-peace and I think we will all be immortal by 2050 :kurzweil:. Now I need coffee.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Bridgeburner wrote:stuff
this sounds great, congrats! :clap:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

VasikkA wrote:
cazsim83 wrote:I do validations and insurance for a cruise ship company
What happened to your career at SUPERIOR INDUSTRIES ?
Nutshell answer? - Finally got up the balls to leave a super conservative (read: semi cultish) church, got divorced in part to the whole church thing, lost my job in a big part to the whole church thing, moved back to my home city and restarted my life, first off by getting a job, secondly by devoting a lot more time to college.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Dogmeatlives wrote:
S4ur0n27 wrote:Tax collector.
really? I doubt that.
Yep, I'm a tax collector for Montreal D: And I'm probably worth millions.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

S4ur0n27 wrote:
Dogmeatlives wrote:
S4ur0n27 wrote:Tax collector.
really? I doubt that.
Yep, I'm a tax collector for Montreal D: And I'm probably worth millions.
Are you serious? I really can't tell, and I really really can't imagine any DaCers being worth millions of dollars.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'm serious yo D:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

right now i am doing jobs at some wage slave data entry/coding monkey thing, which is pretty horrible but at least (1) i get to read blogs and news all day while listening to music and (2) feel superior to my coworkers, who (aside from the few other ones my age) are mostly morbidly obese, lacking in judgement and there 4 lyfe. actually this isn't so bad when you're actually there doing it but it's kind of depressing to think about.

i also work as a graphic designer / type editor / layout manager person at my university (not exactly sure what the title for this is), essentially i make technical diagrams and do layout for textbooks that are going to be printed. a pretty routine job once you have all the technical aspects down, plus i get to do 95% of it from home and i can tell you it pays better than susan's job :party:

i also did a brief thing where i bought dj vinyl in bulk over the internet and then resold it at much higher prices, which was satisfying & lucrative, but time consuming as it involved a lot of time trolling around the internet, plus there's a lot of betting involved. (not a bad idea though - the market for this kind of thing is tiny, which means it exists largely on the seller's terms).

i don't know why i'm posting this, none of these are really career options, i guess i just felt like writing a little blog entry about myself or something. i stopped going to the fairly dull cognitive neuroscience/computer science program i was in, i'll probably study graphic design/music/illustration/something considerably more fun next year.

ps. bridgeburner your design site is totes amazing :vector wet dream:
PiP

Post by PiP »

atoga wrote: fairly dull cognitive neuroscience/computer science program
Really? I thought cognitive stuff is quite fun D;
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Teacher.

Cons:
Crap pay.
No Corporal Punishment.

Pros:
Recess.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I do nothing.

+ Lots of free time

- No money
- No food
- General feeling of uselessness/depression
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

This is probably a good as place as any to ask for help. I'm thinking of picking up a second job. I'm thinking either going back into warehousing where I've got abit of experience and can earn some decent cash. But my back is fucked, so don't want to do too much lifting and shit. My other option is to head into lab work, but because I'm only partially through my diploma it'll effectivly be production line-esqe work with shit pay, but will be nice for the CV (plus I can write it off as work experience and not have to worry about doing it next year).

Inspire me DACKERS!
PiP

Post by PiP »

go to lab for shit pay, after some time you'll have both diploma and some experience and will change for better lab job or will get a rise
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Stainless wrote:This is probably a good as place as any to ask for help. I'm thinking of picking up a second job. I'm thinking either going back into warehousing where I've got abit of experience and can earn some decent cash. But my back is fucked, so don't want to do too much lifting and shit. My other option is to head into lab work, but because I'm only partially through my diploma it'll effectivly be production line-esqe work with shit pay, but will be nice for the CV (plus I can write it off as work experience and not have to worry about doing it next year).

Inspire me DACKERS!
Seems like your already answered your own question unless your back isn't too bad and you slept on it the wrong way or something.

Atoga, nice to see you friend.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Don't get me wrong, I can still do manual labouring. Stacking shelves at a supermarket is what I currently do, and all it is is physical lifting and shit. And since most of the work would be with a forklift, it won't be that extraneous (I originally did my back by doing weekly 10 hour stock takes of a production area; lifting boxes at funny levels onto scales).
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

atoga wrote: i can tell you it pays better than susan's job :party:
yo what?
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

I deliver pizzas for an unnamed corporate shithole.

Cons: Wear and tear on my 87 mazda 323 hoopty, Drunk dipshits that answer the door in their undies. Less than minimum hourly wage.

Pros: Drunk dipshits that tip very very well on accident. Stoners that tip in weed. Tips in general.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

tips in weed? count me in :drunk:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I'm a shift supervisor/manager at an upscale (read: rather expensive) grocery store. It's a pretty alright gig. Decent pay, interesting colleagues, and so on. Getting to boss people around is always fun.

I work every Wednesday and every second weekend (fri+sat), which goes pretty well with my studies (I'm about to wrap up the fifth semester of a bachelor's degree in Economics & IT).
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

i make passports... for different EU countries.....
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
-------------------------------
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

First Force wrote:i make passports... for different EU countries.....
haha nice, whats the price for a passport, I could use some for backup
Our Host!