Fallout 3 - down the dusty road

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

mmmm okey, ill try that explosive one on the pc version, ill let ya know :)
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

The speech skill actually works okay. I like THAT percentage chance. You may only have a 22 percent chance, but it's actually a chance. You don't need 50 skill points to convince this character. I can appreciate that.
There is plenty of special dialouges options poping up if certain stats/skills are high enough or if you picked certain perks. Instead of [22% speach] sometimes infront of dialouge it can say [inteligance] or [medicin]. Or [Black widow] and [Child at Heart].
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

i actually tried it out, with 17% dialoge chance (saved it just before) with the same choices i had 3 out of 10 succes...... just dialogues though ;)
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

So, I finally beat it yesterday - so, I think it's only fair to write

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

I saved right before the final chamber so that I could get all 3 good endings - the sacrifice, letting the girl sacrifice herself (lol), and being a dick by putting the modified FEV into the water supply to keep only the pure of blood alive (sounds very nazi-esque or whatnot)

The first thing I noticed about the endings was Ron Perlman - he has such a great voice - the second thing I noticed is how unlike F1 and 2 it was. You don't get little scenes based on whether you blew up Megaton or not, whether you ... well hell, what else is really epic in the game....whether or not you stopped the two "superheroes" from fighting and tearing up that one little town in the NE.....shit like that.

Now that I'm typing this and thinking about it, there really isn't much in the way of epic shit to do - in FO2 (I'm most familiar with this one, I've only played F1 twice I think) you could deal with the shit between Vault City and oh hell...Gecko? In a couple of different ways
-In New Reno, you could have a few different endings based on which, if any, family you let control New Reno
-How about Chinatown, whatever that was called - San Francisco I think - where you could fight for the good guy, the bad guy, or what you wanted to do with the Hubologists, not to mention killing every last motherfucker in the room.

Those are just the first three examples I could think of - what options does FO3 give you? Let me tell you the three I can think of, keep in mind I am doing some guesswork here.

Did you blow up Megaton?

Did you help the Brotherhood or agree to help the Evil Compu...err....President....which was not at all obvious of course.

Did you finish with good, neutral, or evil karma?

Srsly you guys, wtf?

----
Okay, got off on a tangent, I apologize. I really felt the endings were bland, at least the three that I saw - and it didn't really feel like I did anything epic during the game. There was just nothing epic *TO* do - it was all a bunch of fetch quests, whether you were killing "ghoul haters", finding fingers from da bad bad men, etc - the only part that *really* seemed like it has any real work put into it was the main quest, and even that got to be damn predictable.

Granted, there were a couple of cute sidequests, but voice acting killed half of them, making them unbelievable and more like a high school play than a multi million dollar video game production.

The superhero quest had potential, but became tasteless when you can say one thing to either of them and make them give up their whole lifestyle of fighitng each other. Seriously, nobody else had the charisma to do this?

Reilly's Rangers were pretty neat, but by the time you get to the top of the building and you meet the three team members, they all look bright and happy, and none of them has a sense of urgency in their voice....really???

---
anyhow, voice acting is killing this game. It makes it terrible - that is one point you have to give to the originals - sure, it didnt' have fancy voice acting, good graphix, or any famous people (besides the indefatiguable [spl, sorry]) Ron Perlman - but my imagination filling in all the different voices probably made it a *better* game - note to self: tell gaming companies of today that less sometimes IS more.

I always imagined everyone in China town talking with a terrible stereotyped accent, and the BoS guy that gives you the vertibird plans quest like some old military movie with a big booming voice mixed with defeat.

All the ghouls had a terrible thick, wet sound to their voice like they actually were out of some B-rated scary movie, but knew they had to fit into society to eat little children so they acted like they were nice.

The imagination is a beautiful thing - and the few times you did have real voice acting in FO2 - it was FUCKING BELIEVABBLE!!! Get a clue bethesda - your voice acting is laughable - fire 90% of them, and give them some VOICE COACHING

----

Last thing - ever since I saw my dad get shot (in game of course...) first things first - the lethal radiation should have killed the guy with the trenchcoat, but now he shows up to capture me as soon as I have the GECK - how the fuck did he know where I was? How is he still alive? He died back in the project purity control room I thought?
another thing - if the GECK was that important, where the hell was it? I never grabbed it in the Rolling Rock or whatever the ENclave base was called.
If the Colonel or General or whatever grabbed it, I was under the impression it made a Vault City-like atmosphere - how did he know how to modify it or whatever (like the project purity scientists - remember - your dad didn't give him the information, right?) to purify all the water and create a beautiful watery paradise?
Oh yeah, I really wanted that guy's trenchcoat and laser pistol, but by the time I get them, the doors have locked behind me and I don't get to play after the ending, even if I sent the blonde goody two shoes to her death and laughed as she died of deadly radiation.

W....T.....F....!?

Jesus H. Christ.
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

sorry all i gotta say is i agree with cazsim83, sorry
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

if anyone can logically explain the GECK / Enclave issue I would appreciate it
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

To attempt to use logic to explain why Bethesda did what they did would make any sane man go mad.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

One of the major reasons I don't think I bought the game after renting it is because of precisely what Catman said. I got about halfway through the game, and didn't feel like I did really anything of great significance. Blowing up Megaton was a pretty simple task, and didn't feel like any sort of real moral decision.

I felt like the lack of dialogue really took away from the impact that quests had on the world. Well a great example of this would be the disarming of the bomb in Megaton. I disarm this thing, and that should have a huge amount of consequence on people's reactions towards me. You think they would have something to say about it, but nobody even mentions any gratitude or anger over what I did. There were alot of times when I would have liked to delve deeper into the characters and history of these people, and the options just didn't exist. In most of the areas, it felt like every person said pretty much the same thing.

That's not what I call immersive.

Also Catman, you make some good points. Why don't you do a professional review of the game, for the sake of content. Get KoC to post it as news or something.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Regardless of what I have said about Fallout 3 in the past and all, and you just know Walt is gonna comment it but.. the game had no big secrets to speak of, no mystety, no secret skynet base to discover, no sence of thinking wow! Thats what happened? and its still here after all that time.
Like when you get to skynet in fallout 2, I had finished the game a couple of times before, but because the reno family to give you that location has a hidden almost exit point I never discovered it, and when I did fuck me was that cool shit to play and made me play the game a couple of more times. Anyway, fallout 3 has nothing like that.

I found a fucking robot factory! And I couldnt even make a robot.
I went through a building filled with robots with 3 of them comíng at me at a time, loosing my brotherhood bitch and all I got was some shitty chinese pistol with flame ammo that doesnt even hurt robots.

The game was sweet in the beginning, but the further n you go the more it sucks mega ass.

fuck you Walt, I dont care if you comment this or not.. I was under the assumption, due to the movies and info leaked that it would be true to fallout.

I told my friend the other day, if you had swtched laser guns for magic wands, the big robot for an ogre, made the brotherhood knights and the enclave evil orcs the game would still have been the same.

No mystery and no story to it.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

There were already orks in it.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

MR Snake wrote:Regardless of what I have said about Fallout 3 in the past and all, and you just know Walt is gonna comment it but.. the game had no big secrets to speak of, no mystety, no secret skynet base to discover, no sence of thinking wow! Thats what happened? and its still here after all that time.
Like when you get to skynet in fallout 2, I had finished the game a couple of times before, but because the reno family to give you that location has a hidden almost exit point I never discovered it, and when I did fuck me was that cool shit to play and made me play the game a couple of more times. Anyway, fallout 3 has nothing like that.

I went through a building filled with robots with 3 of them comíng at me at a time, loosing my brotherhood bitch and all I got was some shitty chinese pistol with flame ammo that doesnt even hurt robots.

The game was sweet in the beginning, but the further n you go the more it sucks mega ass.

fuck you Walt, I dont care if you comment this or not.. I was under the assumption, due to the movies and info leaked that it would be true to fallout.

I told my friend the other day, if you had swtched laser guns for magic wands, the big robot for an ogre, made the brotherhood knights and the enclave evil orcs the game would still have been the same.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

MR Snake wrote:fuck you Walt, I dont care if you comment this or not.. I was under the assumption, due to the movies and info leaked that it would be true to fallout.
:rofl:

While most of us were saying it's nothing like Fallout... maybe consult a doctor?
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I was under the assumption, due to the movies and info leaked that it would be true to fallout.
That needs to go into the caption databsae.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

MR Snake wrote:Regardless of what I have said about Fallout 3 in the past and all, and you just know Walt is gonna comment it but.. the game had no big secrets to speak of, no mystety, no secret skynet base to discover, no sence of thinking wow! Thats what happened? and its still here after all that time.

What are you complaining, you can still be gay with Chuck Norris.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Also Catman, you make some good points. Why don't you do a professional review of the game, for the sake of content. Get KoC to post it as news or something.
Maybe I will - being unemployed for so long has given me the chance to play FO3 like I was working for Bethesda

:crazy:
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

So I found Harold, he is a tree.

The whole encounter was boring.
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

cazsim83 wrote:
Dogmeatlives wrote:
Maybe I will - being unemployed for so long has given me the chance to play FO3 like I was working for Bethesda

:crazy:
lol, sorry, but lol ;)
i rofled a bit, don`t blame me, blame the vodka!!!!! bahahaha!
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I still can't believe you're making fun of people because of their bad english.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

When did I do that?

My English isnt that bad,. I just dont give a rats ass on this forum about spelling or grammar.

I type fast and rarely spend more than 10 min on this forum at a time.

Why do you have to flame Susan, why?
Doggedmeat
Respected
Respected

Post by Doggedmeat »

I was under the assumption, due to the movies and info leaked that it would be true to fallout.
Our Host!