Fallout 3: Your thoughts

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I'm playing it drunk as we speak and its really not that horriblle.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I do hope the real FO community gets on modding.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

VasikkA wrote:I'm playing it drunk as we speak and its really not that horriblle.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but then you wake up in the morning, hungover, and think "OH FUCK, WHAT HAVE I DONE?!". B)
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

fuckshit, i downloaded the russian version
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

S4ur0n27 wrote:fuckshit, i downloaded the russian version
:clap:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Game is alot shorter than I thought it would be. I rented it on Wednesday and I'm already at the end without particularly paying attention to the main quest.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

I was talking to two guys at work today who'd bought FO3 for 360. Neither of them had ever heard of or played the first two. And they're my age. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Guy 1: "So what system are they for?"
Me: "PC."
Guy 1: "Ah, that's why I've never played them. I'm a console man."
Me: "Yeah, me too mostly, but...come on. Really? You'd never even heard of Fallout before this?"
Guy 1: "Nope."
Me: "..."

I mean, really.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

It's not that surprising. Just from looking at the bethsoft Fo3 forum when it originally opened showed just how many people had never heard of it before.

Just spent the last couple of hours playing it, no crashes and entertaining. As a stand alone post-apoc game its ok. As a Fallout game, I really struggle to see the resemblance.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I rented it and have been playing the day away. It's actually kinda enjoyable as a game itself, thanks mostly to the environment and design done in the previous games. It is also somewhat heartwarming to see familiar bits, like seeing a dying radscorpion curl up in that familiar way.

I found the secret alien blaster on the edge of the map. Its a clone of the alien ship random encounter, but without Elvis paintings. You pick up alien distress beacon on your radio. Not many of the characters or locations have really stuck with me though.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Has anyone found the mudcrabs yet?

:drunk:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Nope. As an FPS it blows balls. Anyone who bought it for that bit will be disappointed.

I have to admit it is somewhat enjoyable, but there were times while I was playing that I longed badly for a 3rd person turn-based game. This game is too up close and personal. I don't see Fallout that way.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Subhuman wrote:I was talking to two guys at work today who'd bought FO3 for 360. Neither of them had ever heard of or played the first two. And they're my age. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Guy 1: "So what system are they for?"
Me: "PC."
Guy 1: "Ah, that's why I've never played them. I'm a console man."
Me: "Yeah, me too mostly, but...come on. Really? You'd never even heard of Fallout before this?"
Guy 1: "Nope."
Me: "..."

I mean, really.
so did you get an official 'nerd' badge for this?
Dogmeatlives wrote: there were times while I was playing that I longed badly for a 3rd person turn-based game. This game is too up close and personal. I don't see Fallout that way.
well this can be seen as an advantage. I'm not saying you should see it as an advantage tho.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Redeye wrote:Has anyone found the mudcrabs yet? :drunk:
Yea. They're all over the place provided you're near water.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Redeye wrote:Has anyone found the mudcrabs yet? :drunk:
Yea. They're all over the place provided you're near water.
There is also a quest to go get raped by them.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I've yet to download, rent, or purchase. I'm still too torn up about that lame duck Spore to even think about another game...even Oblivion 2...Ehrm...Fallout 3.
maddmaxx
SDF!
SDF!

Post by maddmaxx »

It fun and still has that Fallout flavor..
it does have lots of little details to do if you want and the interface takes some time to get use to.
I would say were are going to get FanBoys that hate it and others that love it. But that normal with anything that has a history now a days. So if you hate it go mod it and stop wining. That's what Fallout players do make the game they want.
Nofu
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nofu »

Well, I’ve been waiting on a sequel for a long time. I guess some people would say I’ll have to keep waiting, but for whatever they’re worth here’s some things off the top of my head:

The Good:

1. Killing town-dwelling people. Doesn’t seem to turn the whole damn place hostile, although I admit I haven’t tried it very often. To me this was a big flaw in the original games, so nice improvement here.

2. Deterioration of weapons and armour, ability to create your own items if you have the schematics, components etc. More nice additions I thought.

3. Fully realized game environment. I could appreciate this from Morrowind, and Gothic still is one of my favourite RPGs, so I can’t help but admire the gaming environment here, shame there doesn‘t seem to be half as many plots, subplots, characters etc. going on beneath it and the “characterisation� (I guess) of the NPCs is poor imo.

The Bad:

1. Sanitized, stylized wasteland. With a bit of a wash, every human I’ve met aside from old people look very well turned out, eat clean, work out regularly etc. Same goes for the violence - slow-mo airborne heads and appendages seems like heavily stylized Hollywood stuff.

2. Dialogue. Yes, dialogue. I only played Morrowind, where NPCs were basically signposts - you chose a topic and got a generic but quite informative paragraph. Now you choose whether you want a stock aggressive, friendly or in-between turn of phrase, and in taking jobs you pretty much either ask for payment or more information. Nothing develops into a witty dialogue tree here. Nothing. This formula rinses and repeats too often, with too little variation. Characterisation was crap. The best dialogue thus far is from the radio, even that doesn’t touch the originals.

3. Game mechanics. My choice of armour seems to have been reduced to a question of damage resistance, it’s been ages since I’ve played the originals but I can remember a lot more to be taken into consideration when looking at armour. There seems to be only one type of ammo per gun, although the originals pretty much only had regular and AP as far as I remember. Also, F3 has very little variations on the guns, though I freely admit in the originals I tended to stick to I guess a few guns anyway. Also, basically preferred the original turn-based system, so I was always going to have complaints about game mechanics.

General vague impressions:

Don’t know the coding of the original games, or anything about programming at all, but I can’t help but feel my stats don’t interact as much here and there isn’t as much “going on� on my character sheet or within the game-world I guess. I could be wrong, just the impression I get.

Also, for some reason the locations I stumble across feel like hack-and-slash grind-em-up exp-mills. Why is this, I don’t know. For some reason I don’t really much give a shit what secrets might be found in these places, maybe this is because they haven’t been introduced properly via townsfolk telling you scary things about them or something, but I just don’t really care. So far most/all feel like the rat caves under Klamath, which is still the one time I can clearly remember in the originals where I felt like I was mind-numblingly dungeon-crawling and harvesting exp, that, and, to a lesser extent the Wannamingo mine. Oh yeah, and the San-francisco tanker, maybe, I guess. Even then I think I was intrigued by the presence of vault doors or something. So far in F-3 the only “dungeon� I found interesting was venturing to the source of the fireants.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

maddmaxx wrote:So if you hate it go mod it and stop wining.
AKA Do the developers work for them!
PiP

Post by PiP »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:I'm still too torn up about that lame duck Spore
meaning?
Nofu wrote:stuff
gosh we've got an SDF who's first post you can read :yikes:
Nofu
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nofu »

PiP wrote:
ExtremeDrinker wrote:I'm still too torn up about that lame duck Spore
meaning?
Nofu wrote:stuff
gosh we've got an SDF who's first post you can read :yikes:
Well, a surprise for me too, since here was me thinking nobody would read it. Might be just a franchise cash-in, but after the long wait I really just have to compulsively spew opinions.
Our Host!