Duck and Cover Forum Index

Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Gamespy: Four Hours in the Wasteland View next topic
View previous topic
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Preview ] - More info on Game: Fallout 3

Gamespy had the opportunity to play Fallout 3 for four hours. Here are some of their impressions:

We sent two editors, Miguel Lopez, a long-time Fallout fan, and Sterling McGarvey, who normally doesn't play RPGs, to test-drive four hours of post-apocalyptic madness for the first time on PC and PlayStation 3 [Edit by KoC: Great.]

Miguel: Pete Hines of Bethesda encourages us to go nuts in the four hours we've been allotted with Fallout 3, so long as we don't write about The Main Quest. And like a minotaur who police-tapes one single passage in his sprawling hedge maze, he tells us precisely how to avoid it: "Just don't talk to Colin Moriarty." This would be easy enough to do if basically every character in Megaton weren't out to convince me that Moriarty was the most interesting thing in town. All roads led to him, and most of the interesting quests in the early portions of the game we were allowed to play brought us within spitting distance of the post-nuke feudal lord. I'll admit to having talked to him, but I didn't ask him the magic question (essentially, "Where's my daddy?"). Four hours is a long time for a demo, but not enough for me to start something I couldn't finish (let alone write about).

I don't need to play it in first-person, because it would lull me into playing it like a shooter, when it's anything but that. The burbs of this atomic Potomac have plenty to explore and enjoy, from mutant Chinese soldiers near Arlington National Cemetery to gruesome deaths at the claws of Mirelurks, crab-like mutant creatures that live below the tunnels of the DC Metro.

Miguel: I'm hesitant to reduce [quests] to the sorts of courier runs, fetch quests, and hunting forays that have come to pervade MMOs, but I'm afraid that they're going to sound similarly prosaic if I give you a blow-by-blow.

One started out as a "fed ex" quest from Megaton to a remote settlement built on a ruined overpass overlooking the Potomac. When I got there, I found that the settlers were under siege by a group of vampire people.

Again, there's a whole lot more of the article for you to read. Definitely worth the time. I wish we could embed videos here...

Shout out to MR Snake for the heads up.

mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

... Did I just read the words "Vampire People"?

DID I JUST FUCKING READ THE WORDS "VAMPIRE PEOPLE"!?!?!
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Craaaab people.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Life in the Vault is about to change.

rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Taste like crab talk like people.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How the fuck did Chinese sojers get to the east coast?
I might have to play this just to take note of everything not fallout.
St. Toxic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe it's all part of the plan?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wrote:
The burbs of this atomic Potomac have plenty to explore and enjoy, from mutant Chinese soldiers near Arlington National Cemetery to gruesome deaths at the claws of Mirelurks, crab-like mutant creatures that live below the tunnels of the DC Metro.

I doubt I'll enjoy exploring then dumb
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerICQ Number
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

woooo, in your face entertainer!

I am sooo looking forward to this game. It has every aspect so far ive been looking for in a game, sure there arent THAT many post apoc games out there but this one fits the bill pretty good.

I though Stalker Clear Sky would, but I am in the beginning of the game and cannot move forward because the game is unbalanced, badly coded and pure shit.

From what ive read of Fallout 3 it is going to be one sweet game. Finally, since 1998 there is only one month left!
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Get the patches.

Also, standing out in the opeb allowing them to shoot directly at you gets you killed almost instantly. So get behind some cover dumbass.
Mismatch
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MR Snake wrote:
woooo, in your face entertainer!

I am sooo looking forward to this game. It has every aspect so far ive been looking for in a game, sure there arent THAT many post apoc games out there but this one fits the bill pretty good.

I though Stalker Clear Sky would, but I am in the beginning of the game and cannot move forward because the game is unbalanced, badly coded and pure shit.

From what ive read of Fallout 3 it is going to be one sweet game. Finally, since 1998 there is only one month left!

If this is not irony... I'm telling DU or medde cock.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MR Snake wrote:

Oblivion was hyped as much and still turned out to be imbalanced, badly coded and pure shit. How do you think this is going to be any different?

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic