Chris Taylor, Fallout MMO, and the Interplay Website

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

rabidpeanut wrote:I care. ISOMETRIC OR FAIL.
you going to have to really fucking hope so, i highly doubt they will go to make an isometric online game. I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it.

(i know, it is NOT fallout without that view, it would be killer if it was going to be.)
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

It doesn't have to be isometric.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Actually, it does.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Chris Taylor and Jason Anderson are a refreshing addition, but can they turn the shit into anything decent?
At the current rate, WoW (or basically everything I liked about it) is also going down the shitter so I need a new MMO, provided that I keep playing the genre.

However, I wish they could muster the best of the original Fallout squad + ex-Troika, now I'd even support that shit with donations etc. I've been playing Vampire again recently and I'm in the middle of getting hold of Arcanum again. What Troika created in their short duration as a company is some of the best that the cRPG genre has had to offer. EVER. Not like the garbage that we get spoon-fed nowadays.

I've been watching the Fallout 3 gameplay trailers and everything can just be summed up in one word:
INANE
Seriously, I could write more interesting, enticing and capturing dialogue five minutes before I take my lunchbreak. It's boring and uninventive. Lack of character has been compensated for by copious amounts of swearing.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It could be possible that they aren't doing a full on retail release type of mmorpg but one of those online type of mmorpgs like furcadia or some Korean one. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper for them and could be fairly quick for them to get out.

Long time no see, Mr Carrot.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Skratches his behinds. They are probably there due to some "small text" in the papers they signed in the year twooo thouuusaaaaannndd.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Stainless wrote:They have a deadline for release before they lose the rights to bethsoft, so it'll probably get rushed horribly even if it does get released in time.
What were the specified requirements again? At the time they seemed like impossible for IPLY to fulfill.

It's likely they'll release a horrible pre-alpha to the market prior to the deadline and just improve from that.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Pretty much the trend for most MMO's these days. Age of Conan should have been delayed another 4 or 5 months until they worked out some really basic bugs, for instance.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Pretty much the trend for most MMO's these days. Age of Conan should have been delayed another 4 or 5 months until they worked out some really basic bugs, for instance.
I was surprised when I heard that most of Warhammer Online seems to be perfectly in order.
It seems that it's no longer acceptable for massive games to be flawed when released, because then you get the AOC problem which generates a lot of hate hype.

But then devs just cut content instead, like Warhammer did, major cities and classes.
Testicular Pugilist
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

rabidpeanut wrote:Actually, it does.
cazsim83 wrote:It doesn't have to be isometric.
Cazsim is right.
Dark Underlord
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dark Underlord »

Isometric my ass.
I want to shoot children and comment it with ice cold one liners, thus winning a special place in the hearts of the entire community.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

nice post
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Smiley wrote:I was surprised when I heard that most of Warhammer Online seems to be perfectly in order.
I won't say "perfect" but it certaintly is relatively bug free. There's still afew weird bugs that the next patch or two should fix. The nice thing about WaR compared to Age of Conan is you don't have 60 patches per night that you have to download. Also, the PVP WORKS. The fact that those missing classes will be offered for free via patches is also kinda neato burrito since two of the classes I wanted to try got cut.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The swearing bothers me, too. It's not the "rugged men of the woods, who throw a curse every now and then to enhance their words" type of swearing, more like the "teenagers hanging at the mall and going over and over about the new naughty words they've learned".
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Wolfman Walt wrote: I won't say "perfect" but it certaintly is relatively bug free. There's still afew weird bugs that the next patch or two should fix. The nice thing about WaR compared to Age of Conan is you don't have 60 patches per night that you have to download. Also, the PVP WORKS. The fact that those missing classes will be offered for free via patches is also kinda neato burrito since two of the classes I wanted to try got cut.
There's something to be said about planning though.. like I said, they cut off content, instead of cutting polishing like AOC did, and most MMO's before that.

That screws up the balance depending on their master plan. Will the introduction of new classes throw the game? Will they be balanced by the time they're released?
Isn't it unfair that some looked forwards to these classes from the beta, and wont get to play them before everyone else is miles ahead?

Time is limited, and being cut off from your friends is not fun at all while leveling.

"It's done when it's done" is a good timeline. At least it doesn't insult gamers for buying it from the start.
Testicular Pugilist
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Hm.....damnit i dont even care about it now. :drunk:
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Fallout is dead, and it should stay that way. the 3 year resurrection window is long gone.
mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by mixmastermind »

Smiley wrote: I was surprised when I heard that most of Warhammer Online seems to be perfectly in order.
It did get pushed back by like, 2 years.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Better late and working than early and fucked.
Our Host!