New Gameplay Videos

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

My eyes are actually starting to burn from reading so fucking much on a pc screen. The Last post by toxic is a fucking record breaker.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

rabidpeanut wrote:My eyes are actually starting to burn from reading so fucking much on a pc screen. The Last post by toxic is a fucking record breaker.
how'd it get burned?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keSWusiSNe4
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I think this thread would be better if the arguments were limited to haiku format.
Or images, even.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

either way, the pair of them need a hobby.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

St. Toxic wrote:
Smiley wrote:I find it quite easy to be objective.
I'd like a demonstration, plux!1
Smiley wrote:the game is fairly well balanced
Smiley wrote:It has a system for making a really neat character, which is the bread and butter of any game
Smiley wrote:It does any and all of that very well.
Sounds like biased opinion to me. I thought the character creation aspect was dumb as dirt, the balance way off and that it in fact ripped off other mmo's fairly badly. Also, I don't necessarily agree that "making neat characters" is the "bread n' butter" of a hack-n-slash, so we have different opinions on what is supposed to be factual data.

Secondly, you've avoided mentioning features that have a negative sound to them, and might turn players off from giving WoW a try, which in an objective review should balance out with the positives. What you did instead is mention a few features you consider redeeming to the game, which is the equivalent of saying "This game is good. You should try it". Certainly not an objective view to take.
Smiley wrote:What's the point of the new Fallout 3?
One of those rhetorical questions that an objective review could answer? "I know what the point is lul! I r smartypants and u all don't get it shite ok?"
Smiley wrote:I honestly think bethsoft wants to go in a new direction and walk a bit away from the fantasy setting.
FACT
Smiley wrote:Fallout is their new test-zone, because I don't believe even for a second that they're trying to milk the brand.
FACT
Smiley wrote:The original fans fucking HATE them, and I'll admit, with reason.
Err FACT.
Smiley wrote:So alright, besides that, what might this game offer?
"You cannot sit in owned post-apocalyptic furniture!"
Smiley wrote:An interesting setting seen from a new/fresh perspective(because they might add some cool things or ideas), a potential inspiration for new games to come(hopefully better or with more obvious potential) and the best part, a new fanbase that will be interested in the old games.
FACT. FACT AND FACT
Smiley wrote:And THAT, will be cool, because we get to see a new generation that might actually like them, and
This isn't working man. You're not being objective, you're just doing the age old peace in the world naive bullshit hippie subroutine on FO3, and just saying "I hope it'll turn out ok" and "I think it'll do X, Y and Z" without going over any evidence to support that claim, or worse, using 'because I think' as evidence, which proves you don't and makes you sound like a 5 year old trying to form his first line of thought.

By what you've shown, you're no less biased than I am, only you're biased in a different direction. You bring forth no coherent argument for why I'm wrong in assuming the opposite of what you've just said and, worse, no argument whatsoever for why you're supposed to be right.

If anything, from what we've seen so far, Beth is not taking the project as seriously as some fans are, meaning they're not as into it as they should be, considering statements such as "We're fans, and we're doing this for the fans." They're not going into a "different direction" because they've kept most every single element from their previous game, in this "new" game. If Fallout 3 is their "test zone", which I interpret as a mix of shooting gallery and sealed chamber, they're in it to muck about and see if they can get any good at it, while making a buck in the process, which is "milking a brand" when it comes to the purchase and torching of an established franchise, so basicly you shot yourself down within that one sentence.

So far Beth has failed to bring any innovation to the table, and while it will inspire other games if it sells well enough (like Oblivion or WoW) it will not inspire anything new, only the rehash of old concepts and ye' good ole' bandwagon jumping. And while you have a point, that people, who've never heard of Fallout, will and have tried the earlier games, so far it generally seems, from what I've heard about it myself, that they're unsatisfied with what they've seen in the old games, probably because they went into it with a post-apoc free-roam shooter mindset, as what set them on the path was the FO3 hype. You'd have better hopes of Diablo 3 attracting people to the Fallouts, via the isometric chain of command; "I like Diablo 3! I will play Diablo 1 & 2! I'd like to try a deeper game within the same sort of gameplay enviroment! I'll try the old Black-Isle games! I'll try Fallout! Hey, this was pretty cool! I'll go rave on a forum!"

Lastly, if Fallout 3 is widely successful, Bethesda will not make any alterations to their game mechanics to bring it any closer to a "real" Fallout game, simply because doing so would help to alienate their "new" fanbase. If Fallout 3 is unsuccessful, chances that they'll hassle to make a "real" Fallout game, instead of just dropping the franchise off as a bad investment, are virtually non existant.
Smiley wrote:Alright I understand your fears and suspicions.
I haven't seen anything that proves or leads me to think about that or the opposite though, the part that there might not be any interesting places at all.
Usually, if a game shows off a location in a set of promotional videos, it's a game-setter location, to put some water in your mouth and ants up your ass so that you go buy the game first thing in the morning. If what we've seen in the videos, or at least, what I've seen in the videos, while you continuously have acid flashbacks, is the best that they have to offer, there's really not much to look forward to for "interesting places", unless your definition of an "interesting place" is a combat heavy dungeon-like enviroment (which might be the case since you apparently enjoy WoW) I'd suggest you give up hope on that one.
Smiley wrote:I don't get your point. Where have I mentioned that any of those games are bad because of graphics?
T'was a snide remark. Sounded like you were judging them harshly from a graphical standpoint.

Besides, I gotta say, it's not how many polys you have on your character; it's how you use them. We're still in the age of low-poly models; that's why we have normal mapping up our ass everywhere we turn, and that's one of the reasons why the textures look "colorful" in comparison. Painkiller still holds a decent record for high-poly maps, which few modern games see fit to break seeing as it puts alot of stress on the engine. The other reason for "colorful" looking textures, is sparse use of specular mapping, which isn't a tech issue but a design issue; I don't see why every surface has to reflect light as if it were made of glass.

A "next gen" makeover for most games in the 2002-2005 range, wouldn't take any time or effort, really, as long as the game engine can keep up with it. You up your basic shader algorythm, add normal and specular mapping (which can be done by converting detail maps with half-decent end results) and, for a subtle touch you redo the shadow calculation a couple of extra times, for softer shadows and then you can add/update the bump map if you really feel it necessary. The core stuff need hardly even be touched, as long as the textures are high-res enough, so it's all down to polish.

The trend we've been seeing in graphics is that the core is usually patched up in a sloppy fashion, and then the polish is applied methodically untill it covers the shit up almost completely. Some people get fooled by it, and I don't see why. FO3 is, as I said, a different story, with even the polish applied sloppily, making it look more like ghoul-sex than any "nuxt genz" game to date, except maybe Mercs2 which looks just like Soldner would do with dynamic lighting.
Smiley wrote:Why would I ever want to touch system shock 2 or deus ex, if graphics bothered me at all?
Because good games make you forget about their flaws, and, as with Fallout, sounds and settings can overpower graphics for "immurshun". Apparently, nowadays this is commonly regarded as a way to overcome a technological limitation from which we no longer suffer, and as such is easily discarded. :dance:
Smiley wrote:No, it just lowers my expectations, both in terms of sticking to the lore/ideas, and what to expect from the gameplay.
Right now I see it as a SS2/Bioshock wannabe, set in the fallout setting.
Alright, I can roll with that as something completely new.
I'd suggest you lower your expectations some more.
Smiley wrote:Setting aside the obvious snide remarks
No snideness intended. I'm literally stunned.
Smiley wrote:The game is dumbed down, to a certain degree.
To a degree where it becomes dumber than games that were intented to be dumb to begin with? Now that's dumb.
Smiley wrote:Financially it proves a point, the easier it is to get in, start playing and getting good, the better. It sells easier, it makes people feel good, and it doesn't demand much from them.
That is certainly true. What I don't understand is how these people, who apparently have issues with getting into games because of a bad case of "dumb", manage to turn their computer on and keep track of their account name and password to be able to log on in the first place.

Financially, catering to idiots is always going to be more lucrative. You can sell them any old sidewinder shit, if you've already got them on the hook, and they won't bitch or whine unless you start stepping on their toes and trying to sell them the pain.
Smiley wrote:That way, it's a fucking awesome game, because of the 10 million(!) active accounts.
It's a major jewing accomplishment, but not an awesome game. A shit game, made for numbskulls, that sells at the rate of free cake. Impressive as a phenomenon, but you do have to be an idiot to like the actual game, don't you?
Smiley wrote:It's not an RPG though, and I'd never call it that.
Why do you keep repeating that? I never compared it to rpg's, and you would have to be retarded to try. (And we've all seen it done)
Smiley wrote:I guess I like to think of it as Diablo online, a slightly more elaborate diablo game with a lot more storyline and customization, and a lot more activities to do apart from clicking on the same monster again and again.
How "slightly" is it more elaborate? And what is the story, and how does it have "more" of a story than Diablo? As for the customization, are we talking visual or actual customization? And what are these activities of which you speak? Do you mean the non-combat skills?
Smiley wrote:Keep in mind that I didn't really know much about warhammer at the time, so the universe from WarCraft is the "first" in my mind.
The first "what"? If it came out in the form of a book, publishing could make due with a guy drawing colorful pictures.
Smiley wrote:To keep in touch with some friends, and because it's addictive.
So why not just drink or drop acid on a regular basis? What separates the two?
Smiley wrote:Also, the social part of it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the friends I've met through that game are really awesome people, and we've done some crazy shit together that makes it all the gametime in wow worth it.
Makes it all "worth it" as in, it was a huge waste of time but I met some fun people? So we have a chat with some filler thrown in for good measure, and everybody creams their pants? No, I don't see it. Much like Furcadia, it appears to be a front-end for people of "irregular" mindsets, if any at all are present, to get together and toss their bullshit, which isn't really a "game" in my book, because in the end there are no winners.
Smiley wrote:Because we as a community should still try to have at least a bit of an open mind.
So why is your mind closed to the game being completely retarded, as I have said on numerous occasions? You feel the need to close-mindedly argue against my points, instead spilling your biased shit all over the place, while advocating open mindedness and objectivity? Hidden agenda or stupidity - u b the judge. B)
I love Dreadnut wrote:Here's the thing, we all have very different opinions on what DAC is or isn't. Right now, I see a bunch of losers who think this is a freehaven for all their aggressions and bad manners.
Take dreadfuck, who without his sometime funny or insightful comments would be a horrible influence to have around.
He's admitted it himself, he's a dick. And I don't like other dicks, I'm fine with my own.
His influence on the DAC mentality is about as big as yours, so while I don't consider him a worwhile poster, his presence doesn't bother me. If he was a newsposter or mod; that would be different.
Smiley wrote:Seriously though, he might be a nice guy, rabidpeabrain might actually say something insightful once in a lifetime and there are others who might be just fine and dandy people indeed. Now, a lot of people pretty much agree, who the fuck am I to judge anyone?
You can judge anyone you want, in whichever way you want; I doubt anyone would give half a fuck about it. It's forcing your judgement of other people on other people that riles folks up.
Smiley wrote:Well, I happen to be a chosen moderator, and my judgement does carry at least a bit of weight in forming this community, and carrying it on to becomming hopefully something bustling with life again soon.
So you want to fill the dying ant colony with worms, to feel good about yourself. Jump off the pedestal; whatever position of "virtual powah" ( :hahano: ) you're in, you're still just a guy jerking yourself off. You're not an artisté, or a leader, and you have no place trying to form anything, unless we're talking feces of your own production.
Smiley wrote:The way I see it, this pointless hatefest doesn't do any good at all.
We've proven all we could to bethsoft that fans don't want this game.
They've replied and said, we don't give a shit.
The way I see it, this pointless "Meh"-fest doesn't do any good at all. We've proven all we could to you that DAC doesn't want your well educated opinions. You act all "Bethsoft" about it.
Smiley wrote:That's what's happened anyway, and now it's time to move on to new tactics, and for that to happen, we need to get past the release.
Ah, so you have a plan. What about the whole "get over it" routine? How do you expect to keep the sparks while extinguishing the fire or, more appropriately, the hot coals?
Smiley wrote:New fans will come, they will give their opinion on the matter, and we KNOW that a lot of them will think the older games were much more awesome. New fan developed content might pop up, beth might actually listen and follow some of the development and interest in the franchise.
It doesn't even look like they're going to drop mod tools for the game. The interest Beth holds in the franchise is skin deep, and overshadowed by their self-interest. And even if pressure was applied from enough interested parties to change the development of future Fallout titles to better adapt to the established canon and lessen the gap between the Fallout of ye' olde' and NEXTGENZ Fallout, Beth has no experience of making anything other than shoddy FPS/RPG/Sandbox type games, and would not be able to produce anything resembling the originals, without completely outsourcing the project.
Smiley wrote:THAT'S where change might happen. Nothing before then.
Nothing after either. No one in their right mind could be expecting any positive change; it's as you said, Fallout died and now the corpse is being raped. You can't deny people the right to vent about it.
Smiley wrote:It's called looking at the big picture.
Only if the "big picture" consists of optical illusions for imagery. You're just jerking yourself off here, and no one's going to buy your extrusion.
Smiley wrote:The gibberish continues because to a certain degree you either respect my opinion(or the fact that I have one which isn't bandwagon hating), or because you want to prove something to me.
If you didn't, you wouldn't bother posting a reply every single time that I have.
What can I say? I love waving my cock around. You're a long time member of DAC, and wether you're Einstein or a nimrod, you have a say and deserve an answer; that's a right that comes with long-term membership. The 15 page thread where Rosh argued long and hard with Haris comes to mind. :giggle:
serializer wrote:Stop whining you retards. Bethesda have been trying really hard to make an awesome game and to be honest the footage looks amazing, about a 1000 times better than oblivion. So STFU, go and cry on your own in your room because you've got no friends, don't even bother buying this game 'cos you probably don't have the sense of humour to appreciate it, and come back when you've got something constructive to say. Idiots.
Stop whining you retard. DAC has been trying really hard to whine about Fallout 3, and the rants so far look amazing, about a 1000 times better than anything you'll find at Nma. So GTFO, go and take a long walk off of a short pier, because you probably hang out in harbors anyway as you are ugly and can only purchase sexual favors off of prostitutes at the bottom of the food-chain. Don't even bother reading these forums, because you probably don't have the sense of humour to appreciate it, and come back when you have something constructive to say. Jackass. :drunk:
You sound like that redneck retard roshambo from nma.
Give it a fucking break, my cock is way bigger than both of yours anyway so just bendover for me please.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Got to agree with that, Roshambo's a real douchebag.
Our Host!