Hearts of Iron III

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Hearts of Iron III

Post by Mismatch »

VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

:orgasm:

I guess I'll have to cancel all appointments in 2009.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

old B)
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Sounds awesome, Victoria Revolutions > HoI 1 > HoI 2 though...
spacemoose
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by spacemoose »

what no
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Um, yes, wicked sensitive crew, yo.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

So, anyone tried it yet? I preordered it from GG, and do have it installed and chit, but I've been having a lot on my hands (new apartment, much to do at work etc) and not been able to try it....

So, any good?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, my first game as ze :herve: got corrupted so had to restart with Italy and already the game kicks ass. The interface is more streamlined than before(you don't have to manually send out spies anymore and other neat stuff) and the new map looks like a treat and zooms in/out smoothly. I haven't had the possibility to properly check out the combat yet(still in '38), but the division structure is more complex now and consists of building blocks(brigades). Naval vessels also seem to be customizable so you can better fit their design with your IC capacity. That system worked well in Master of Orion, so I suppose it should be alright here as well.

I predict a lot of a lot drowzy mornings this fall.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I had the opportunity to take a quick look at it and if I had to describe the game with one word only it would be 'overwhelming'. I'm a huge fan of HOI 1 - 2 and Victoria & its expansions, but this just feels like... like... so Europa Universalis! Never liked those.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Once you get the hang of it, the game mechanics are not that different from HOI 2. In fact, it's more of an interface update. Even though there's new features, some of the old stuff is more streamlined. Sort of like Civ III -> Civ IV.

The devious AI is the reason that makes this game more appealing than any other strategy game.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

cocksmack.

Had time to play for an hour or two last nite, and it sure is promising but I still need liek 10h more playing before I can actually play the game with any competence at all I imagine.

The trade agreements are giving me an headache though... As I click it the trade window never opens.... However I seem to be automagically crating trade agreements with alotta states... rather weird.

-----------------------------

Disregard that..... tried it again and everything seemed to work ok.... still weird though.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I played as sweden, planning to join the finns and kicking russian ass all the way to moscow.

Instead Germany declared war on me, I invaded germany, took berlin and a few other cities, had a fighting retreat while I shipped my troops back to sweden.

Now I am building Festung Schweden with the resources I stole from Fritz.

There are however a few issues. The allied AI seems to be much better at diplomacy than the axis, leading to germany and slovakia vs. everyone. This probably works better when playing with germany, i dont know.

Secondly the map was a bit gritty, and it was somewhat hard to see what terrain you were in, and which troops you were commanding.

Thirdly. Only uses 1 core on my quad-core. Very :1996:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

How long do you think it would take a complete noob to these types of games to be able to learn this game and enjoy it?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Depends how much time you can put into it. The whole game is a big fucking learning process.*

*That is, until you learn how to exploit the AI
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I did try HoI2 a while ago; it's a pain if you don't have a lot of time to put into it. But you might not listen to me as for some reason I can't be bothered anymore to play computer games for more than half an hour.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

i looked at some screenshots for this. i decided i didnt hav enough time and prefer men at war or whatever the fuck. i like the idea of maths, but, i dunno. cant dip. not hardcore enuffv (moiu(
:chew:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

SO, I finally had some more time and decided to play as Sweden. My plan was to side with the Axis, and invade Noreweh.

So, I've been focusing my foreign espionage on the greasy Salmon fuckers, and currently I've got ten spies increasing their threath level. My domestic spies are decreasing my neutrality (which takes time).

On a diplomatic level I'm aligning with axis.
It's early -67, no -39, by now and I'm trying to increase my IC, while constructing my first motorized division (2 AC, 2 Light tanks). When this division is done I think I will be able to mobilize and declare war..... if my spies are as efficient as I hope.

And on my watch there will be no heroes from Telemarken....
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Mismatch wrote:SO, I finally had some more time and decided to play as Sweden. My plan was to side with the Axis, and invade Noreweh.

So, I've been focusing my foreign espionage on the greasy Salmon fuckers, and currently I've got ten spies increasing their threath level. My domestic spies are decreasing my neutrality (which takes time).

On a diplomatic level I'm aligning with axis.
It's early -67, no -39, by now and I'm trying to increase my IC, while constructing my first motorized division (2 AC, 2 Light tanks). When this division is done I think I will be able to mobilize and declare war..... if my spies are as efficient as I hope.

And on my watch there will be no heroes from Telemarken....
Aye, the new internal/foreign politics system is causing me some problems. I'm going with the Fascist USA route and ally with the Axis, except that it doesn't seem to work quite the way it did in Doomsday so I hope there are some events that allow me to change the cabinet at some point. If that fails, my plan B is to lower my neutrality, declare war against all major factions and take over the world with my carrier fleets.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I think more cabinet members are avaliable in time, and if you keep aligning with the axis, the fascists should be avaliable for the cabinet.

I am now playing a little fascist portugal with eyes on south-africa and congo.

I lost mozambique, but I plan on getting it back in the end.
Germany has england and scotland, spain has taken ireland. :catholic:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Superhaze wrote:I think more cabinet members are avaliable in time, and if you keep aligning with the axis, the fascists should be avaliable for the cabinet.
I've been doing that since day 1, but am not seeing any developments on the internal front and it's beginning of '39 already :aiee:. The problem is that all political parties except the donkeys and the elephants seem to have 0 organization and minimal popularity despite me being buddies with Germany.

I'll wait 'til the election in 1940 and if it doesn't work out, I'll rig the elections. :eyebrow:
Our Host!